Tire Deformation Spotted Within GT Sport

Out of sheer morbid curiousity, what would be the right grip for these entirely fictional tyres?
Well, I'm no racing expert, I admit, but, and just to give one example, it is certainly not pitting after the rain, leaving the pits with brand new racing tires and the rain marking 0% and feeling like driving on ice. While on the opposite hand, when the track is dry and rain starts, racing tires produce the fastest laps until the 22% magical mark, before suddenly becoming totally undrivable.

And I'm not even mention how racing mediums/softs feel oddly strange to drive with, or the tire consumption also behaves strangely... oops, I just mentioned that.

Well, I'm no racing expert, I admit, but, and just to give one example, it is certainly not pitting after the rain, leaving the pits with brand new racing tires and the rain marking 0% and feeling like driving on ice. While on the opposite hand, when the track is dry and rain starts, racing tires produce the fastest laps until the 22% magical mark, before suddenly becoming totally undrivable.

And I'm not even mention how racing mediums/softs feel oddly strange to drive with, or the tire consumption also behaves strangely... oops, I just mentioned that.
But they're fictional tyres. It's not like PD is trying to perfectly model a specific vehicle tyre brand and getting it wrong. I - and you - have no idea what the right level of grip would be for them.

That aside, your comments more suggest that it's the simulation of a wet and changeable surface that's the problem, rather than the wrong amount of grip for imaginary tyres.

Tire deformation is no news at all, i'm sure even gt5 accounts some kind of deformation in cornering.
Project cars and assetto corsa simulate sure 100% tyre deformation.

The difference here is VISUAL REPRESENTATION. I'm quite sure this is first time in any AAA simulation.

Last edited:
The difference here is VISUAL REPRESENTATION. I'm quite sure this is first time in any AAA simulation.

Driveclub got Visual tyre deformation on cars and bikes on PS4.

If i reminded correct the Forza Motorsport 4 did also got visual tyre deformation.

In case of GT Sport i don't think that it will be more than a visual representation also.
But would be great to see them finally make a new and more complex tyre model with pressures and inside, mid and external sides temperatures that you can work on with pressure settings and camber setting

:lol: I can see it - minecraft racing, the new go-to software for factory F1 team training! Really though, good points.

I'm also skeptical that this flex will matter much, mathematical or not. PD's approach to tire compound selection and performance follows their ethos of making things simple and consistent across the whole game. Whether you're in an LMP1 or an old Alfa roadster, you have the same dozen tire types to choose from. The performance and behavior of all these different tires scale sorta linearly across all the types and hardness. This makes a seemingly complex game (many options) more user-friendly, but I feel it's an unrealistic oversimplification. I'm not sure how and added layer of realism (the flex) would play with it.

The only practical way I could see flex being a factor in this game is with wheel size. For the same car/tire combo, bigger wheel = less flex. Less flex = more responsive handling but with worse ride quality and less predictable on the limit.
I think what the hacking scandal from GT5 revealed was that all the tires were the same across the board, all that changed from car to car was the grip multiplier and changing the grip multiplier affected the PP levels. That was my impression anyway.

Someone has probably mentioned this already, but the absence of tyre deformation would seem to be the crux of all the present issues in PD trying to get the physics to everyone's satisfaction so that they are both real and drivable. As we know tyre deformation gives a driver more warning of what the car is going to do, so with this in mind, it's possible that the minimum of driver assists would be required even for beginners.

Just my opinion on the wet tyres; whilst a very good job has been done of the massive grip level difference of the rubbed-in racing line and green track off line, the wet tyres have no deformation at all and the fastest drivers always slide the car a lot which contradicts what the best drivers do in reality. I had a go in a Rotax Max once on a wet, but green track and was amazed at how much grip the wet tyres produce where both the deformation of the side walls and tread blocks and mechanical interlocking of them into the surface of Tarmac could be felt....it could be unique to a kart, but It's more likely wet tyres on cars themselves behave in a similar fashion which needs to be replicated. This in itself demands that a driver loads the tyres up gradually rather than all of a sudden, so drifting deliberately in the wet in order to be fast in GT is just wrong.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back