Tire Model

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brian
  • 43 comments
  • 3,397 views
Messages
126
United States
Vancleave, MS
Messages
brian21699
Am I the only one who has problems with the grip of the tires on this game? So far it has been a major let down to me.
 
Am I the only one who has problems with the grip of the tires on this game? So far it has been a major let down to me.

I know I'm not enjoying the sound much either.
 
It's not only the sounds I'm disappointed with, it's the fact that every FR and 4WD car has snap oversteer, and FF only handle moderately well.
I drove the 1978 Trans Am, and still had the same problem.
 
Edit: sorry. double post.
 
Much more realistic. In GT5, you could drag a 800 HP muscle car no problem... try it in GT6 with racing softs and you keep spinning out in a straight line until you get going.
 
Well I'm fine with cars that have 800 hp spinning like mad, but with 219 HP on sports hard tires, then it becomes a problem.
 
Use TCS then?
I'd rather not. If I don't have to run Traction Control in real life, then I shouldn't have to in a driving simulator with the same compound of tire.
 
Then all you can really do is just practice throttle control.
 
Then all you can really do is just practice throttle control.
I just find it hard to relearn what I already know how to do both from real life and GT5.
 
No problems here, physics are fantastic. If you are spinning out all the time you either need better suspension tunes or as stated, some throttle control.
 
I use a DS3 and only unexpected wheel spin came from a 1991 RX7 with Sport hards (maybe softs?) in the 90's Japanese classic or whatever it is.Even then, it had 300+ HP
 
No problems here, physics are fantastic. If you are spinning out all the time you either need better suspension tunes or as stated, some throttle control.
I have no idea what the problem is then. Maybe it is just a bug because of something weird in my PS3.
 
No problems here, physics are fantastic. If you are spinning out all the time you either need better suspension tunes or as stated, some throttle control.
Listen to him. Some cars have horrible oversteer that can be fixed with tuning and stickier tires.
 
It's much more realistic. De-tune your car, and the tires will start to hold. If you have a 500HP RWD car running on sports hards you're going to have a rough time keeping that car straight.

Sports hards are better than anything you would ever get on a 500hp RWD car. Sports hards are semi-slicks, track day tyres. Realistic tyres for a 500hp supercar are actually closer to the Comfort Mediums, Softs at best. Personally I'm not having any issues with it, the tyres are not perfect ofcourse.
 
Sports hards are better than anything you would ever get on a 500hp RWD car. Sports hards are semi-slicks, track day tyres. Realistic tyres for a 500hp supercar are actually closer to the Comfort Mediums, Softs at best. Personally I'm not having any issues with it, the tyres are not perfect ofcourse.
Most of the people complaining are not driving supercars. They are driving cars with chassis, and suspensions intended for 1/2 or in some cases 1/3rd the amount of horsepower they are running, and they expect the tires to compensate for that all by themselves. Supercars were designed to go fast with all of the components they are delivered with, but if you are driving a car that was not intended to be a supercar you cannot expect it to handle like a supercar because you put better tires on it. If you don't take the time to tune the suspension, or gain some throttle control it will still be unstable, and unpredictable.
 
I haven't had an issue unless I'm running with way more horsepower than the car was designed for (I'm looking at you Nova...).

I'm actually really impressed with the new tire model. In GT5 you could launch very powerful cars with ease but now trying to get something like my overpowered Nova or a Huayra out of the hole can be a bit hairy. I love it!

Also, I didn't like the tire sounds at first but I like that it isn't just one sound used for every type of tire in every type of scenario.
 
This is strange. I find it quite hard to get cars with less than 300hp to step out of line with their stock tyres. It is hard to believe someone might struggle with wheel spin. Anyway to the OP, if you bought a car in real that is meant to have 219hp it likely only has 190 or so plus the extra weight of you which GT6 does not factor in. Also when driving in real you aren't just planing your foot down nor are you always driving at your limit.
 
In real life, even the most experienced drivers spin out. However, in GT5 i almost never did, I was able to catch pretty much every kind of slide. In GT6 I find that I'm spinning out much more often. Conclusion; I think that the physics are now more realistic in that there is a 'point of no return' just like in real life that wasn't modelled properly in previous titles. You can't simply throw the cars in like a mad man & expect to be able to hold onto them. With some cars you're gonna have to be careful to drive them within their limits otherwise they'll bite you in the backside without warning or mercy! This annoyed me when I first started playing GT6, but now I'm appreciating the level of realism it adds. It's hard, but not a problem, more like a challenge. BRING IT ON! :D

I think the tyres have more grip generally than in GT5, but when they really let go it's much harder to catch the rear end.
 
This is strange. I find it quite hard to get cars with less than 300hp to step out of line with their stock tyres. It is hard to believe someone might struggle with wheel spin. Anyway to the OP, if you bought a car in real that is meant to have 219hp it likely only has 190 or so plus the extra weight of you which GT6 does not factor in. Also when driving in real you aren't just planing your foot down nor are you always driving at your limit.
I didn't think about my own weight (I don't weigh too much, but every pound counts), plus most cars are read by flywheel hp, and not wheel horsepower. As a matter of fact, the only car I've ever seen that was advertised with wheel horsepower is the 2012-14 Shelby GT500 (I've probably missed a few). Anyways, thanks guys for the quick replies. Have a great day, and enjoy GT6.
 
Last edited:
I just want to add that in GT6 the width of the tires is taken into account, so cars with skinny tires have much more wheel spin than before. Kei cars for example that are modded to 600hp have massive wheel spin whereas the Shelby Daytona with massively wide tires has virtually no wheel spin at any horsepower level.

Also, if you're using the DS3 it's harder than ever now to have throttle control. It was hard enough in GT5 but now it's almost impossible for me to control the throttle; it's basically full or none.
 
I personally think the Tire Model in GT6 is spot on. I have a lot more control and feel of the car now. I also do not mind the sound of them too much either.
 
Am I the only one who has problems with the grip of the tires on this game? So far it has been a major let down to me.
Jep met to, the racing compound gives less grip then the other tyres.
Im testing the lambo gt, and lap faster times with sports than race tyres.
 
I just want to add that in GT6 the width of the tires is taken into account, so cars with skinny tires have much more wheel spin than before. Kei cars for example that are modded to 600hp have massive wheel spin whereas the Shelby Daytona with massively wide tires has virtually no wheel spin at any horsepower level.

Also, if you're using the DS3 it's harder than ever now to have throttle control. It was hard enough in GT5 but now it's almost impossible for me to control the throttle; it's basically full or none.

It is harder with the DS3. But it feels more realistic. Just going to be harder to adjust for me. May take awhile
 
So much more realistic. In GT5 you could launch any RWD with hundreds of hp in a straight line. Now it actually takes skill. And now people are complaining. I really fear that PD might reverse it to stop people complaining but hopefully not.
 
It's not only the sounds I'm disappointed with, it's the fact that every FR and 4WD car has snap oversteer, and FF only handle moderately well.
I drove the 1978 Trans Am, and still had the same problem.
I don't remember having too much trouble with the Trans Am, but them I've owned a '77 in real life. Currently have a 2002 WS6. You simply cannot put your foot in it till you are pointing strait. If you do otherwise, learn to control the power-slides, and feather the throttle.

Use the throttle to steer.
 
Also, if you're using the DS3 it's harder than ever now to have throttle control. It was hard enough in GT5 but now it's almost impossible for me to control the throttle; it's basically full or none.
I've never used a controller, as I came over from rFactor with my G27. It's taken some time, but I've adjusted to the new compounds.
 
VBR
In real life, even the most experienced drivers spin out. However, in GT5 i almost never did, I was able to catch pretty much every kind of slide. In GT6 I find that I'm spinning out much more often. Conclusion; I think that the physics are now more realistic in that there is a 'point of no return' just like in real life that wasn't modelled properly in previous titles. You can't simply throw the cars in like a mad man & expect to be able to hold onto them. With some cars you're gonna have to be careful to drive them within their limits otherwise they'll bite you in the backside without warning or mercy! This annoyed me when I first started playing GT6, but now I'm appreciating the level of realism it adds. It's hard, but not a problem, more like a challenge. BRING IT ON! :D

I think the tyres have more grip generally than in GT5, but when they really let go it's much harder to catch the rear end.

I agree with you to a point. In a real life car you get a warning you can feel through the car. I have tried multiple settings on my DFGT and I can't catch and recover when the tires let go. I was a real life SCCA racer on road courses. Yes I lost it more than a few times especially once the tires were hot but I was able to recover control most of the time. I have yet been able to recover from a spin in GT6. I know someone will chime in and say I need more practice or I don't have the wheel set up correctly. I welcome any advice about setting up the wheel. I must say I need more force feedback to feel connected to the car. I started out with no aids but after being spun by the AI I turned SRF back on.

As far as the tire physics go, to me they are not like real life. I have a '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD with Michelin Primacy 3's which is listed as a warm weather tire. I honestly can't tell the difference between 25F to 70F though at 80F when the pavement is at near 100+ degrees you can go as fast as you want as long as you don't get caught The Man. I have a friend that has a CTS-V with Michelins with no problems either. I just wish I could turn off the squealing sounds of the tires in the game.
 
Last edited:
Back