Tire Model

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brian
  • 43 comments
  • 3,397 views
I agree with you to a point. In a real life car you get a warning you can feel through the car. I have tried multiple settings on my DFGT and I can't catch and recover when the tires let go. I was a real life SCCA racer on road courses. Yes I lost it more than a few times especially once the tires were hot but I was able to recover control most of the time. I have yet been able to recover from a spin in GT6. I know someone will chime in and say I need more practice or I don't have the wheel set up correctly. I welcome any advice about setting up the wheel. I must say I need more force feedback to feel connected to the car. I started out with no aids but after being spun by the AI I turned SRF back on.

As far as the tire physics go, to me they are not like real life. I have a '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD with Michelin Primacy 3's which is listed as a warm weather tire. I honestly can't tell the difference between 25F to 70F though at 80F when the pavement is at near 100+ degrees you can go as fast as you want as long as you don't get caught The Man. I have a friend that has a CTS-V with Michelins with no problems either. I just wish I could turn off the squealing sounds of the tires in the game.

Might want to check to make sure your wheel is setup in simulation and power steering assist is off. I noticed I had the same problem and can feel everything and catch the slide before the car ever gets a chance to step out. I run my FFB on 7
 
@Racin510s - I'm getting used to the new physics now, & am able to catch many more slides. You're right, the force feedback needs to be stronger, this has always been a problem in GT games. I'm guessing the physics will continue to be updated, like GT5's were. Let's hope they update them to be more realistic than otherwise. I think generally they're realistic enough, although no sim will ever be 100% realistic.
 
Last edited:
I'm having troubles switching from Sport Softs to Racing Hards. I was expecting the RH's to give me more grip, but after trying a couple high power cars I switched back to SS. For me, cars handle so much better with SS than RH. I use controller (buttons), and everytime I dare to push high power cars with RH's, I spin out :S
 
Takes a lot of throttle control...I'm on a wheel, but when I did use the controller I set L2 as brakes and R2 as throttle. Because they are more progressive then the X button and square.
 
I'm having troubles switching from Sport Softs to Racing Hards. I was expecting the RH's to give me more grip, but after trying a couple high power cars I switched back to SS. For me, cars handle so much better with SS than RH. I use controller (buttons), and everytime I dare to push high power cars with RH's, I spin out :S

I had the same problem. I could do better laptimes on S3 then on R3. But it just takes some time getting used too. I think it's mostly from the different sounds. When you aren't used to them, you overcorrect the wrong things because the different sounds fool you.
 
Might want to check to make sure your wheel is setup in simulation and power steering assist is off. I noticed I had the same problem and can feel everything and catch the slide before the car ever gets a chance to step out. I run my FFB on 7

Yes power steering is off and is in simulation mode. My force feedback is only at 5 so I am going to change it to 7 and try that. I had a monter of a race at Spa in the Muscle Car Races. I could barely keep the thing straight ('70 Nova SS, 581 PP) and even with SRF on I was still burning the rear tires. I beat the SRT Viper by .303 seconds. I promptly went and changed back to my Daytona Coupe for the last race.

I'll try turning the feedback up to 7 and turn the SRF off and see how it works for me. Thanks for the suggestion.👍👍
 
Using a wheel set (an old GT Force Pro), I feel the soft sport tire gives me more feedbacks than hard racing tire. Straight line stability, irregularities on road surface, changes in slip angles... etc are all delivered to my hands with much more fidelity with sport tire. Switched to racing tire, the feels reduce a lot. In real life, I suppose the more grippier the tires, the more feels on wheels. No?

When in dirt tire, this incorrectness is even more exaggerated. How can a car driven on gravel delivers more straight line stability and weight on turning the wheel than on tarmac? Ridiculous! I wonder how PD consider this. (And this had already happened in GT5 !)

OTOH, the available grips of the tires do change properly with their types. The limitation of racing tire is indeed higher than sport tires -- I can late brake and carry more speed into the bends. Eventually better lap times. Just less feels.

I think this is still a bug. Hopefully it'll be fixed by the following updates.
 
I'm having troubles switching from Sport Softs to Racing Hards. I was expecting the RH's to give me more grip, but after trying a couple high power cars I switched back to SS. For me, cars handle so much better with SS than RH. I use controller (buttons), and everytime I dare to push high power cars with RH's, I spin out :S


I think you must learn to use them properly... :)
 
I'm wondering about the racing tires. Up until this point, I've had no trouble at all with any sports tires on any car. Now that I'm in a few faster races, I'm trying out racing-hards, but they've turned such great cars into utter crap! I've tried all suspension, weight, and limited-slip-diff fixes that I could, but the results are always the same. The tires just randomly loose grip out of nowhere. It's getting really frustrating. Cars that I loved to drive before are now impossible to handle. It's not the extra power or going too fast through corners, the tires just suddenly let go without warning and there is not catching it.
 
Try looking at the exact speed at the entrance, in the process and the exit of a corner, you will see actually higher numbers with racing tire. But if you rely on the steering wheel feedback, you would mostly be misled. Especially right after you drive with sport tires which gives you loads of feels.

After the 1.02 update, I feel the racing tires give somewhat better feel. Not compared them strictly car by car, maybe it's because of the cars themselves but not tires. Or is it simply my illusion by high hope?
 
I'm really glad they made it so Racing tires aren't so over powered. In GT5 slap on some racing tires and you'll drive like a x2010
 
Er... after some more driving, I found the racing tire is still lacking feel. 787B in racing hard is slippery like a cat fish in the S-1 mission.

Yes, eventually it's capable of doing high g cornering and get the job (gold) done, but I have to rely on the vision clue and my memory to place the car properly on the track, instead of steering feel. From not enough to too much steering input, there's almost no difference on my hand in an overly broad operating area.
 
It's not only the sounds I'm disappointed with, it's the fact that every FR and 4WD car has snap oversteer, and FF only handle moderately well.
I drove the 1978 Trans Am, and still had the same problem.
Try adding more toe-in to the rear wheels. My maxed out 240sx was doing this, even when I feather the throttle and .4 degrees of toe in fixed it.
 
Last night I gave S2000 a test, which is one of the first batch I owned, well before the 1.02 update. Before update, the sport tires obviously gave more feels, more realistic feedback, while the racing tire felt flat and numb.

In the tests last night to this car, I tried sport soft and racing hard in Brands Hatch. The feels from them are now very close, or I can't say which is which by their feedback anymore. Racing hard does have better grip as it should be, and in this test it gave a better lap time by 2 sec. margin or so. It seems the feedback of racing tire is improved. I'm glad they made it.

I did another trial to 787B in Sarthe, the same situation of S-1 mission which gave me a hard time. Interestingly, it seems my own 787B react better and more stable than the one in S-1 mission, which is so slippery in those fast sweeping bends. It's odd and unreasonable. They should be the same. Then I tried tuning the suspension, made it lower and slightly stiffer. It's a bad move and made it unstable like the one in S-1 mission, funny. Reset it back to default ride height, then the stability recovered again and more controllable. I'm not 100% sure but that's my impressions.

Will try them more, including the dirt tire on gravel which is not yet explored.
 
Back