Tire Preference Poll

  • Thread starter Thread starter metalgod88
  • 32 comments
  • 1,887 views

Which tire type do you most prefer to use in this iteration of GT?


  • Total voters
    98
Messages
2
Messages
metalgod88
Gran Turismo 6 has drastically changed the way the cars drive due to the greatly improved suspension system. I've found that the cars I loved in GT 5 drive much differently in this version, but seem to be much more fun to drive for the most part.

Choose from the poll and then if you'd like, explain why. I'll post my response after a day or two and give my opinion as well.
 
Depends on the car.
<450pp Comforts (economy)
500-600 SH to SS, depending on car/power/event
650+ RH
I only use RS when forced to, never have to do it on TT/SE/career, only in random online rooms. RS is like playing with slot cars...
 
Online or off? Online its any of the sports tires. But I prefer SH.
 
I like using sports soft as much as I can. For example I test all my cars with sports soft tires.
 
The tires the car came with, if I'm doing a S Class event I might go a grade higher or so depending on how well the particular car is on tires etc
 
Always use the tires 1 grade lower on any car you buy. If SH came stock on it, use CS tires (only if you're using a wheel.)
 
I have Dunlop Z1 Star Specs on my real car, so I put Sports Hard on everything.
 
Last edited:
Comfort medium on all cars. I like the realistic feel.
 
In GT5 in meetings which I hosted we used RH on race cars, Sports on high power road cars and comforts on low power cars. There were some exceptions where the grip levels felt completely unrealistic so for instance we used comfort softs instead of RH on the Cappuccino RM. We also raced the Gran Turismo Formula car detuned to 750pp on comfort softs which seemed to suit it well.

I only got GT6 for Christmas so I am still at an earlier stage in the game, but my impression is that because of improved feedback from the game it is possible to use lower grades of tyre (I use a wheel and so do most of my friends). I like the tyre to have enough grip so force feedback is noticeable, but not so much that racing becomes a test of steering accuracy rather than throttle control. I agree with Raytard that racing softs turn it into slot racing.

In my first online race meeting we used Sports mediums on the race cars which seemed to suit them well - Scirrocco and Subaru BRZ race cars - these are low power race cars so perhaps SS or RH will suit the powerful race cars.

This evening I did the Red Bull Junior challenge and although it was fun, it was a very "Need for Speed" style experience - they are nice cars and I expect comfort tyres will give a more realistic and satisfying race experience on those cars.

Nice moniker by the way 6 Cylinder!
 
Nice moniker by the way 6 Cylinder!
Ha thanks mate you to (too?)!

I agree with the changes between 5 and 6 you mentioned. Even with my DS3 I feel like there's alot more steering feel.
For instance a stock RUF BTR or birdie on Comfort meds is much easier to drive than in GT5 simply because I can place the nose much more accurate.
 
Comfort soft, Sports Hard, and Racing Hard.
Most road cars get Comfort softs, wich I feel is like a road legal track day tire. Hypercars like the Veyron get Sports hard. Still road legal, but more track focused.
The Racing hard is for me the only racing tire. It's the only one that has any form of real life resemblance when it comes to both grip and longivity. That said, IRL Audi can quadruple stint their tires at Le Mans, wich equals to some 44 laps. I think the GT6 RH tires can perhaps last 10-12 on an R18.
 
sport soft in my opinion is the most realistic setup for tires. sports hard also. sports medium i can barely tell the difference. and as for default tires you get with the car... bs :P
 
PrinceAsh,

I respect your opinion, but as far as the "bs" comment:
It's been proven a dozen times over that the "corner speeds" on known tracks for known cars is only accurate in this game if you go a step DOWN in tire compound. AKA a car that came with CS in the game is most accurate with CM. They come a little stickier than real life because it's a game, and more fun/less frustrating. A lot of the more seasoned GT'ers use stock compound or a step up/down as necessary.
 
Comfort tyres. You get longer braking distance and slower cornering speeds, but the behaviour of the car improves a lot. RUF Yellowbird is a nightmare on racing tyres, but handles beautifully on comfort tyres.
 
Anyone know why there's dirt tires if there's no dirt tracks ? Lol.. I love racing soft on my fully tuned vw golf gti online against other RS, higher powered cars. But usually I drive or sport hard
 
Anyone know why there's dirt tires if there's no dirt tracks ? Lol.. I love racing soft on my fully tuned vw golf gti online against other RS, higher powered cars. But usually I drive or sport hard

There are dirt tracks. Eiger and Toscana, with variations and reverse layouts. Drove my RUF on Toscana yesterday, so I'm sure it's there :)
 
Beat me to it Eran0004. Btw: do you also find the BTR and birdie on comfort meds easier to drive than they were in GT5 with the same tires?
 
With one or two exceptions...

Comforts on road cars.
Race hards on race cars.
 
There are dirt tracks. Eiger and Toscana, with variations and reverse layouts. Drove my RUF on Toscana yesterday, so I'm sure it's there :)
I haven't came across them
In career mode I mean , woops
 
I prefer SH for most cars and RH for race cars. I did a race online a couple of days ago and they were all using RS tires. I tried it but it was horrible. Far too much traction and it made it like an arcade game, not really fun or skill based.

Sark
 
I haven't came across them
In career mode I mean , woops

I don't know if they're used in career mode, but you can always access them in free run or arcade.
 
I prefer SH for most cars and RH for race cars. I did a race online a couple of days ago and they were all using RS tires. I tried it but it was horrible. Far too much traction and it made it like an arcade game, not really fun or skill based.

Sark
I actually just race RH against RS lobbies - occasionally getting halfway up the grid is really satisfying
 
I prefer any Sports tires, really, but I rarely use Mediums from any type. I used to like Racing Softs a lot, but now they feel kinda weird for me lol. I mean, I guess it's cool that the grip keeps you in-place, but it feels too sticky to me, like I'm being kept there by a strong magnet. Comforts are pretty fun too :)
 
I am pretty surprised that racing tires is not winning the vote, you can't tell by going online tho. Comforts FTW!
 
Sport softs i like alot , 550pp+ its race hard+ , cant stand comforts unless im drifting =)
 
Below 400PP, comfort medium to comfort soft. I drive these cars to learn the track because I can cruise around.
400PP-550PP, Sport hard to Sport medium. I prefer to play in this range because most street cars belong here.
550PP-700pp, Sport soft to Racing Hard. I play in this range mainly for seasonal events.
700PP and beyond, Racing Hard to Racing soft. I play in this range very rarely.
 
Obviously it is faster using Softy Compounds.

I enjoy Comfort tyres most. - I'm not against the balder tyres - I just prefer more hairy moments on track. (Slick joke kid, slick joke.)
 
FWIW, I tested a bone-stock S2000 '06 premium at Suzuka Circuit with both CS and SH tires.

CS took me 2:31
SH took me 2:26
 
Can you test that with CH, CM, CS, SH, SM, SS, RH, RM, RS using that stock S2000 at Suzuka? The result would be interesting :)

FWIW, I tested a bone-stock S2000 '06 premium at Suzuka Circuit with both CS and SH tires.

CS took me 2:31
SH took me 2:26
 
Back