Tire wear, indicator, "optimal color"?

• Thread starter chevguy
  • 46 comments
I played GT3, and now GT4. I noticed that in GT4 tire wear is a factor in every race, where it was only a factor in some of the GT3 races. The tires start out blue, go green, yellow, and probably something else after that. My question is what do all these colors indicate. Obviously its the condition of the tire, but is blue the best, or does that mean cold and not heated up yet? I was racing my WRX last night, and for the first time (I’ve started writing this stuff down), noticed that my lap times actually got faster as I approached the latter stages of green. So is green the best, and yellow means they are going bad?

Yellow is the "best", the tires are very warm and they're not broken up yet. However, they're not going to last much longer.

Blue tires and green tires are cold and hard, so you want to get heat into them as soon as possible.

Orange tires are starting to break up, it might be a good idea to pit to be on the safe side.
Red tires are done for, you'll have to be careful bringing them into the pits.

I think it works like this:
Blue - cold, not mch grip
Green - Heated and grippy, best grip
Yellow - Heated, but losing grip
Red - Very little grip
Black - Your driving on the rims. :D

I like driving on green and Im usually conservative when to pit.

Ex: Im racing and my tires are starting to turn dark yellow. If Im coming up to the pit area than i usually pit.

If I miss the pit area or my tires turn dark yellow a little bit after the start/finish line I usually go a bit slower than usual on that lap. I hope that helps you on when to pit. :)

It depends on what car I use.

When I raced the Super Speedway endurance, I drove my 787B and I think i used Hard Racing tires in the front and Super-Hard Racing tires in the back.

jammyozzy
Red - Very little grip
So the tires can blow in this game 💡

i reckon that may be a factor wen gt5 comes out, exploding tires would give a new exciting edge on the game...lol, it would also stop people pushing the car hard over jumps and stuff.. coz the load pressure would burst the tires...

one can only hope.

jammyozzy
Red - Very little grip

What?... there is black, wow i didn't kno that. i thought red tires were the worst u could ever get. To me i feel happy and safe with green and light yellow tires, there best for grip!! Ya guys blue isn't the best grip, many people think it is cause they are fresh but they are not sticky enough, if you have a DFP u can really feel the difference.

chevguy
I played GT3, and now GT4. I noticed that in GT4 tire wear is a factor in every race, where it was only a factor in some of the GT3 races. The tires start out blue, go green, yellow, and probably something else after that. My question is what do all these colors indicate. Obviously its the condition of the tire, but is blue the best, or does that mean cold and not heated up yet? I was racing my WRX last night, and for the first time (I’ve started writing this stuff down), noticed that my lap times actually got faster as I approached the latter stages of green. So is green the best, and yellow means they are going bad?

For me chevguy, the best is green as I notice the tires starting to lose grip as they approach the yellow stage, afterall, its why people tinkered w\ the "no tire wear" code in GT3 to come up w\ the "tires stay green" code .. However, I've noticed in GT4 that tire wear doesnt seem as bad as it was in GT3, the tires dont seem to wear out as quickly, to me ..

The tires don't wear out as quickly in gt3, which is a huge improvement. I find that i turn the quickest laps when the tires are about to go orange. This might just be because i'm in a groove at that point of a stint. Several times I have set my fastest lap of the race on orange tires.

i twas a wondering, when your in free run, or another race without any tire wear, are the tires constantly in there prime, or still cold and never warm up?.

I have a question, does the temperature of the tire goes down if car doesnt move. Letz say its in yellow, is it possible to get it back to green?

I actually prefer the tire wear in gt3. they wore out quicker and forced more pits. you couldnt do a 10 lapper with out pitting... now I chuck on the hards and dont bother pitting.
mid-green thru to early yellow is the best for me. :)

of all the tires (N1 to qualifiers) which wears the quickest?

boa129
I have a question, does the temperature of the tire goes down if car doesnt move. Letz say its in yellow, is it possible to get it back to green?

No, the indicators measure the wear, not the temp.

im assuming that blue, is before i tire is warn in, for example, on standard and sports tires, they have those anoying nobly things on them, theyre also coated in stuff that protects them during shipping and storage... so im assuming its wen this wears off....

Back