Tired of grip monsters.

• Thread starter RayGunn86
  • 38 comments
United States
California
RayGunn82
I'm so tired of grip monsters, whether they have the 'other' comfort hard tires (Spirit R, perhaps the M3s?) or naturally have an obscene amount of grip by tire width (Vipers, ZR1s) or downforce (Amemiya FD, Nismo 380). I wouldn't mind it if their drivers were considerate, but the "I'm faster than you so I can push you out of the way" mentality runs rampant. Anyone else feel my pain?

The faster cars really annoy me to, even without the 'push you out the way' driving style.

I join on-line rooms to tandem, and I pretty much only use classic drift cars such as s13's, s14's etc.

It becomes a real pain when there are only only one or two drivers from an entire room of sixteen can be tandemed with, as they are the only guys without 600bhp, massive downforce, hacked tyres or a generally grippy car.

I've been running a 630hp '07 Mustang lately, but anyone familiar with that car knows it's not fast with that kind of power.

Most people must think that I only drift certain JDM cars and have no imagination, but the truth is I know they are vehicles which can be easily tandemed with. People should restrict themselves from using competition spec cars for friendly tandeming unless they aren't way too fast. If a guy in an S13 is trying to tandem with your ISF, then get an S13 out and do the polite thing.

I usually do not use any of the above stated cars and neither does my team. Most people from GTP that are in the "popular" teams tend to stay away from these cars. Rooms on tracks such as Suzuka and Tskuba tend to also have the cars stated above.

Or simply be more conscientious. If you're in a hurry, ghost. Or understand that drifting isn't actually about speed. The thing that irritates me most is most of the absurdly fast cars aren't even accepted drift cars...Lotus Evora, really?

I've been running a 630hp '07 Mustang lately, but anyone familiar with that car knows it's not fast with that kind of power.

Mustangs are just plain screwed up in GT5. Underpowered, overpriced, and kinda difficult to drive.

But I tend not to use cars that you see in every single lobby (like the ones mentioned above) because they are way too common. I have a 400 HP RUF, a 500 HP BMW M3 (going through multiple setups, HP might be lower) and other cars. I do find the M3 a bit grippy, but I don't try to be one of those 10 thousand-mile-per-hour drifters. I'm a bit slow through turns and I'm need to learn to tandem, but I will try not to be a d-bag drifter that crashes into slower cars and puts the blame onto the other driver.

The '07 took some work but I've gotten it to a pretty sweet spot. For the longest time, I hesitated to use any camber in the rear and limited toe to what was in the realm of possibility with the play available in the axle splines (for those unaware, it's a live or floating axle, not independent) but putting the rear at 0.9 (1.0 was unnecessary) really improved the stability on transitions and holding deep angle. The wheelspin can actually be a blessing because it doesn't walk AE86s or S13s and yet it looks like I'm dragging a chimney, there's so much smoke. One of the tricks was to install the close-ratio 5-speed prior to any power upgrades so that the rpm increase also increases the top speed, 154mph wasn't cutting it as it's full smoke to 137.7mph tested on SSRX. :lol:

I actually detuned the hell out my 07 M3 to get it to drift properly. And I found that the settings that I used for my M3 work pretty well for my other drift cars (with small tweaks). I used to be one of those drift type people until I started being a gtp regular and comp drifter.

when i used to drift with DS3 running Sports softs id always respect the slower CH drifters and only pass when nessesary or when possible, even if i was on fire. but i guess thats just me. Stupid g27 making me relearn how to drift

just learnt how 2 drift again on my G27.main two cars i drift atm are my 350Z(515hp),370Z(525hp),Supra RZ(991hp).have noticed alot of the gripier ( faster ) cars barge on past purely cos im not taking desired (fastest) line and use me as a bloody rebound (luge) wall...

I usually do not use any of the above stated cars and neither does my team. Most people from GTP that are in the "popular" teams tend to stay away from these cars. Rooms on tracks such as Suzuka and Tskuba tend to also have the cars stated above.

S13 and 350z and Supra hahahaha.

You drift a 991hp supra? How's the turbo lag on that? :D

I tried drifting on those high turbo's but it's such a pain.

You drift a 991hp supra? How's the turbo lag on that? :D

I tried drifting on those high turbo's but it's such a pain.

The wheel spin has to be crazy! I run 450 HP on mine and that is enough. If we could run wider tires I would maybe attempt that much, but with regular tire width it is pointless. :yuck:

They annoy me too. Hints the reason I have been testing these hidden tires. Been trying to level out this huge speed difference.

Only reason I have stopped testing is because I need to test these tires on the faster cars. I am going to see about slowing cars like the 2010 Camaro, C6 Corvette, RX7 Spirit R ect. I just hate these cars with a passion. But if I can slow them down I would be happy.

The wheel spin has to be crazy! I run 450 HP on mine and that is enough. If we could run wider tires I would maybe attempt that much, but with regular tire width it is pointless. :yuck:

the turbo lag actually isnt to bad but yes constant wheelspin haha.luckily im on G27 and can control the throttle with ease,once shes in 4th gear doing 100kmh

I drive a 97' Supra RZ pushing 725hp and 777lbs/torque and I have CS on it. Sure I may blaze through the turns a little faster, but I don't ram into people because I'm faster or on purpose.

In my opinion, you kinda have to ease yourself into using grippier tyres with faster cars. I practiced with my S14 with CS before I even made a move towards my Supra.

If anything makes me more concious of the other drivers. I normally wait till everyone is in front of me or if I'm drifting next to none slower, I wait to make a safe move ahead of them. I will admit I have seen this happen and it drives me nuts knowing that these guys are making a bad name for us grip monsters. Lol.

My primary car is the '07 BMW M3. Yes, it has a bit more grip than other cars but I like fast drifting. My team is comprised of players that drift fast but that doesn't mean that we can't drift/tandem with slower cars because we always do. As a matter of fact, I had a nice little tandem session last night with some random players who were in S13's and I was in my M3.

Skilled players should know how to control their car - regardless of the car.

Preach! :lol:

But I do agree, once you get into drifting regularly, know how to control your car and similar cars. Once you have become much better with those cars, move on. The problem with me is I can never follow that and I go back and forth with cars. Whether its my RUF BTR (If I say that car one more time, I think someone is going to chop my head off), M3 E92, or other random cars I buy/tune/get bored of in one day. I need to find my niche.

My primary car is the '07 BMW M3. Yes, it has a bit more grip than other cars but I like fast drifting. My team is comprised of players that drift fast but that doesn't mean that we can't drift/tandem with slower cars because we always do. As a matter of fact, I had a nice little tandem session last night with some random players who were in S13's and I was in my M3.

Well said, all about that pace control :)
My driving style isn't the fastest, and Gam can follow without hitting my rear 👍
Speaking of which, see you Thursday (I Hope!)

Well i tune my cars for maximizing grip and speed reason being is because i like angle. I need the right speed and grip to achieve the maximum amount of angle that I can.

MLR_DAnGeR_KiiD
Well i tune my cars for maximizing grip and speed reason being is because i like angle. I need the right speed and grip to achieve the maximum amount of angle that I can.

I agree.

I don't like using crazy hp cars, but I like good grip.

I get my tires as perfect as possible on the edge of the road, so grip is my friend.

There is a fine line between good drift grip and not being able to get it sideways and hold it due to it sticking to the road too well

ive just gone to using a g27, im using a 500hp 88 supra with very stretched gears! on comfort hards, its a handfull but im getting better, on controller i use 350Z for tight tracks and gt premium mustang for anything open. i only use comfort hards to drift now, but incase of these pushy grip drifters my "comfort soft munching 1000hp firebreathing viper" cops a thrashing, generally showing that comfort tyres can keep up with sports tyres! i am not at all a fan of any race car or tuning car for drifting. those blitz skylines or amuse s2000 gt1 cars give me the ****s. i generally try to keep a room set to street cars. ive found for extra grip in drift cars running a larger amount of positive toe relative to the right camber help with setting pretty good lap times. also, i hated using the V tyres, they are admittingly good, untill you start a race, then theyrevert back to the last real tyre you were using, not practical if u used them to record replays!

Or simply be more conscientious. If you're in a hurry, ghost. Or understand that drifting isn't actually about speed. The thing that irritates me most is most of the absurdly fast cars aren't even accepted drift cars...Lotus Evora, really?

Hahaha..."accepted drift car"...you can't be serious :lol:

Any car that can drift, no matter what it is, is a drift car!

I bet a Lotus Evora would make a kick ass drift car. The only reason you don't see people drifting cars like this IRL is because of the costs associated. But don't be mistaken, there are people out there (rich people) who have enough money to use an expensive euro sports/super car as a drift car....Daigo Saito being one of them

twitcher

I bet a Lotus Evora would make a kick ass drift car. The only reason you don't see people drifting cars like this IRL is because of the costs associated. But don't be mistaken, there are people out there (rich people) who have enough money to use an expensive euro sports/super car as a drift car....Daigo Saito being one of them

+1

who cares what is "accepted" in online gaming

Yeah, but not any car can make a good drift car. Definitely not on GT5 considering it's huge limitations towards tuning. :)

+1

who cares what is "accepted" in online gaming

This is exactly why the community suffers. Who cares that it is online gaming? Just drift as good as possible, and the better (and more common) the car, the better it is for all of the community.

It's true, having enough grip in the rear is necessary to pin the front of the car onto the desired line and maintain deep angle, but it all goes back to people using grip in the right way rather than merely to post the quickest lap around Tsukuba, apathetically slamming into anyone in the way, and park it in the pits until someone faster comes along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTyjQbvylg

On a serious note. I have no problem with fast drifters, as it is my style too. Drifting means something different to everyone, so there is no "correct style" of drifting. For me I focus on speed (pushing the car to its limits while sideways) and consistency.

As for "grip monsters" People that use them to there advantage, and ram people clearly don't know how to control their car. But if you think they are the only cars that ram, you must have not been playing to long either.

Respect other drifters, respect other styles, and have fun. Rammers (trolls) they are a different story.

Back