TOCATouring Cars Reboot?

• Thread starter nobfung
  • 26 comments

Please make it

If true then it is the best news of 2019!!!! Absolutely fantastic :bowdown:

After reading the whole article my enthusiasm has been reduced a bit. The owners of TOCA still seem to be a real problem. I sincerely hope they come around and Codies steps up the pressure to make it!

Last edited:
My heart literally jumped. Please don't, don't, don't be a rumour. Like false hope... Please, Man.

Edit: Okay
Express Sport understands that, contrary to paddock rumours, securing the appropriate licencing for the game is not an issue and several developers have expressed an interest in taking the project on in recent years.

Instead, the development time and cost involved in accurately modelling all 30 entries on the grid, potentially in addition to the rest of the TOCA package, is the main stumbling block preventing a comprehensive stand-alone release from Codemasters.
“Our take is very simple – We’ve always been in contact with Codemasters and I’ve had a relationship going back with them into the 90’s,” said Gow.

“At the moment there is no business case for a game because producing a game nowadays is much more expensive than it ever has been. Back when we produced the [original] TOCA Touring Car game I think they had three young developers in front of a computer, they spent about six months doing it and that’s it. Now it is much more complex so it is a much more expensive proposition, and the business model has totally changed.

“We’re always in contact with Codemasters and with other game producers too about one day producing a game but at the moment it doesn’t work for us financially.

“I appreciate Dan’s enthusiasm for ringing them up, but if he’d have rung us up we would have saved him a phone call. Just because the game doesn’t exist, it’s not for our lack of enthusiasm or wanting it to happen.

I get all that, but how much did it cost to do F1 over all these years? Did CM make any money back? Surely, F1, with more tracks and the complexity of F1 cars, it'd cost more to do that than BTCC.

Make it happen.

Last edited:
If they mix it with an overall BTCC package with super tourers included, historic cars/events and the current TCR ones. You simply can't go wrong can you?

Would be very welcome, but under the current codies model you would end up with a handful of tracks and then the rest of the game being drip fed in paid for dlc...
Thing is, Gow won't let that happen. So, I wonder what T10, PDI and SMS in the world of console developers, had to say about a BTCC proposal. Do those developers feel it's Codemasters' baby? That CM should be the ones to make a ToCA game?

I can understand Gow's all or nothing position - he's very protective (and rightly so) of the championship and doesn't want to see it playing a bit part role in a wider game. That being the case, I'd say SMS are best placed to do it - they have most of the tracks modelled already (only missing Croft and Thruxton I think), of the current supports they have both the Ginettas and the Clios. Realistically though Clios are done after this year, so they would need to do the Minis that are replacing them plus Carrera Cup (not massively different in terms of the car shape to a 911 GT3-R) and Formula 4. Plus the actual BTCC cars, which I think is about 10-12 actual car models this year off the top of my head.

It would also need a more noob-friendly/arcadey handling approach than pCARS1/2 to appeal to a broad enough crowd - though I'd want to see a 'sim' option in there too obviously!

Go on @IanBell , you know you want to :P :D

Edit - should add - not suggesting it would be a quick/easy thing to do! Just that SMS seem to have a fair chunk of the necessary content in place, albeit in need of re-dressing to suit BTCC sponsors etc.

If they mix it with an overall BTCC package with super tourers included, historic cars/events and the current TCR ones. You simply can't go wrong can you?

Would never happen.

It'll be as simple as BTCC - Clio Cup - Ginetta Challenge - Porsche Super up - Formula 4 - Ginetta Juniors.

And even then you're still talking about a lot of licensing headaches.

I see ToCA as a stand alone game. If there were support categories, I'd think they'd be DLC.

Toca 2 had support categories and more besides. If it was just BTCC they'd struggle making it a full price game.

Would never happen.

It'll be as simple as BTCC - Clio Cup - Ginetta Challenge - Porsche Super up - Formula 4 - Ginetta Juniors.

And even then you're still talking about a lot of licensing headaches.
Considering that TOCA 2 had support championships (Ford Fiesta, Formula Ford, etc.), I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to model the aforementioned vehicles and give them a range of generic liveries/driver/team names in place of real-life equivalents. Maybe even carry over certain team liveries from GRID, or even the team creation/livery editor mechanics to give players the chance to play under their own team.

You mean like they do in the F1 games :irked:

Im happy with F1 at least gives you all the 21 tracks, but It looks like grid will be like dirt 2.0 was... stingy! However being the tight git Iam, i got a press copy of the game for £20 & the dlc season 1 & 2 for £10 in the sale this month gotta hustle!

Considering that TOCA 2 had support championships (Ford Fiesta, Formula Ford, etc.), I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to model the aforementioned vehicles and give them a range of generic liveries/driver/team names in place of real-life equivalents. Maybe even carry over certain team liveries from GRID, or even the team creation/livery editor mechanics to give players the chance to play under their own team.

Yeah I mean generic for the supports would work. Every sponsor has to be licensed individually so would streamline that. But there can be no compromise on BTCC which is exactly what Alan Gow is saying.

Yeah I mean generic for the supports would work. Every sponsor has to be licensed individually so would streamline that. But there can be no compromise on BTCC which is exactly what Alan Gow is saying.
That's why I was thinking support categories could be DLC. If Gow is including support categories as all of BTCC, I can see what he's saying about it being a chore.

However, in the quotes, Gow is saying it doesn't work for them financially.
Toca 2 had support categories and more besides. If it was just BTCC they'd struggle making it a full price game.
Cramming all those supports at launch could be a problem. Releasing just the cars, tracks and full season and offline user championship and online races, could be enough to start with.

As he said, it's different to the 90s. Not just the licensing headache as mentioned in the above post. Modelling all those cars and handling characteristics and liveries and drivers and AI behaviours and weather and graphics is a whole lot for BTCC on its own. Add three support categories and that becomes an even greater task.

Not saying it can't be done, but that cost he's mentioning.

Great games back in the day although I feel with the lack of manufacturer support it just wouldn't be the same these days.

The iconic audis, Volvo's, Honda etc with the brand livery were very iconic but airwaves vs pirtek nowadays just doesnt have the same effect on a racing game, just my opinion.

I think a full TOCA season with the 90's classics like the Volvo,Laguna,Primera and all the British tracks like Donington,Snetterton,Oulton Park would be number 1 racing game wish - it has been for years. Project Cars got very close to this again with the Clio Cup.

Maybe you can get to something close in the new Grid game as the Volvo has been announced... (i really hope theres a custom championship option!)

T10, PDI and SMS in the world of console developers, had to say about a BTCC proposal.
T10 have had some BTCC cars but I don't think they'd think a whole licensed BTCC would be beneficial. PD don't seem to have much of an interest in touring cars.

SMS is an interesting one though. They already have most of the tracks (Croft and Thruxton the only ones missing currently) and already have Ginetta Juniors and GT5s as well as the Clio Cup. If anyone would, I'd put my money on them more than anyone excluding CM. Personally, I'd rather it was them. Mainly because it would be a part of something bigger. You could take the cars anywhere in the world and see how they'd run.

Would be those super tourers much easier to license if they where added under the HSCC construction. This way they would, I imagine, a lot easier to implement into a game with other classes. Next to TOCA , I am still waiting for Super TC2000 or Turismo Nacional to be included in a game..... Ah...one only can dream right .... :indiff:

Would be those super tourers much easier to license if they where added under the HSCC construction. This way they would, I imagine, a lot easier to implement into a game with other classes. Next to TOCA , I am still waiting for Super TC2000 or Turismo Nacional to be included in a game..... Ah...one only can dream right .... :indiff:
I'm just waiting for a full compliment of TCR cars to be added to a game outside of a licensed series.

It sounds like a great idea and well overdue I would like it to be made by the people who made the orginal game if not then it should be made by anyone who worked on Toca Race Driver, Toca Race Driver 2 and Toca Race Driver 3.

I made a knock off cover art for it. For the PS1 of course, what else :lol:

9FIa10p.png

9FIa10p

Back