Tokyo Xtreme Racer - PS4

United States
New York City
DarkPikachu212
There has been an anouncement during the livestream saying all the major developers since PS1 would be back for PS4, and quickly showed a list of names.

Along the list I spotted GENKI !

We all know GENKI was known for...

Tokyo Xtreme Racer !

Any thoughts ? Could they be bringing it back ?

Looks like i got my hopes up.
According to wiki...

"In late 2006, Genki announced they would end the Shutokou Battle series, and eventually shut down the Genki Racing Project, as a part of the cost-cutting operation."

"In 2010, Genki created an alternate reality game division called 'Genki ARG', to replace the currently discontinued Genki Racing Project. This division was closed in late of March 2012."

This makes me pretty sad.

According to wiki...

"In late 2006, Genki announced they would end the Shutokou Battle series, and eventually shut down the Genki Racing Project, as a part of the cost-cutting operation."

"In 2010, Genki created an alternate reality game division called 'Genki ARG', to replace the currently discontinued Genki Racing Project. This division was closed in late of March 2012."

Oh... :(

TXR lost its thunder after 2, IMO. Its stock fell through the ground after TXR:3 for sure.

TXR also just got weirder as it went on, with its spiritual/supernatural story lines lol. IDK... I think they could've rendered different highways in different countries. I mean, once you've ran up and down Wangan for one whole game you'd think that'd be enough but then its featured in the next 3 SEQUELS!

Don't know if it'd be worth spending money on anymore... maybe they should just let it be. Its more of a nostalgic thing now than a viable game.

JustDrift893
According to wiki...

Maybe so they can start from crash to focus on PS4 release? Hahah

TXR lost its thunder after 2, IMO. Its stock fell through the ground after TXR:3 for sure.

TXR also just got weirder as it went on, with its spiritual/supernatural story lines lol. IDK... I think they could've rendered different highways in different countries. I mean, once you've ran up and down Wangan for one whole game you'd think that'd be enough but then its featured in the next 3 SEQUELS!

Don't know if it'd be worth spending money on anymore... maybe they should just let it be. Its more of a nostalgic thing now than a viable game.

I suppose, although I was really looking forward to another Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift with PS4 graphics and improved physics.

"On day 621, drive wangan highway south loop with Ryu 71g on your license plate to find super skyline boss and flash your light and race!"

No thanks

It's tiny small company not like SMS Studios so i wouldn't expect anything great like current racing games.

Even Ridge Racer 7 was pretty basic launch title. Maybe namco will decide to make it another RR for PS4 would be sweet 👍

"On day 621, drive wangan highway south loop with Ryu 71g on your license plate to find super skyline boss and flash your light and race!"

No thanks

:lol:

Those 'wanderers' were a nightmare lol!

I still loved the games regardless, though.

Ok, anyone else disappointed after the initial PS4 wow?
I mean, about the new IP the only racing game was Driverclub. Nice surprise.

But..

..where the hell is a proper futuristic racer for PS4?
Seriously, do they really shoutted down Wipeout without a new futuristic racing IP?

Back in the days in PS1 era we had Wipout and Rollcage.
Not impressed so far. We have the technology now, what we lack are good ideas.

HKS racer
Ok, anyone else disappointed after the initial PS4 wow?
I mean, about the new IP the only racing game was Driverclub. Nice surprise.

But..

..where the hell is a proper futuristic racer for PS4?
Seriously, do they really shoutted down Wipeout without a new futuristic racing IP?

Back in the days in PS1 era we had Wipout and Rollcage.
Not impressed so far. We have the technology now, what we lack are good ideas.

If they couldnt show us GT6 they could have atleast showed any other racing game that has been around for a long time like NFS or MidnightClub.

If they couldnt show us GT6 they could have atleast showed any other racing game that has been around for a long time like NFS or MidnightClub.
By that logic though, they could have shown us GT5...:sly:

Those games aren't ready and people wanted new stuff. There is still almost a year to wait, so I'm sure more will turn up at E3 and once the console is out.

Genki had made Wangan Midnight on the PS3, Japan release only. I have it, great fun.

TXR is a great series, grew up with it along with GT. As much as I love the series, I don't think that bringing it back would be Genki's or CRAVE's best interest.

Last I heard Genki is concentrating on making games for handheld consoles and phones.

The last Shutokou game actually ended up being a mobile game in 2011. Only for Japan and and you play as female characters apparently.

Last I heard Genki is concentrating on making games for handheld consoles and phones.

The last Shutokou game actually ended up being a mobile game in 2011. Only for Japan and and you play as female characters apparently.

Well they stopped supporting that game I'm afraid. It was on a subscription service and they ended it very soon.

The best ones were 2 and zero. I thought txr drift 2 was okay. 3 with those yellow vans was lame IMO. Then Import Tuner Challenge with about 15 cars and no vibration support? No thanks. It went downhill when they went with licensed cars. ITC had potential but 15 cars is not enough. I still have these games by the way.

Car customizing and street racing in the racing genre is dead. NFS ditched it a few years ago. GT series is extremely limited and Forza is dated when it comes to customizing. MCLA did it right but the tuner car selection was horrid. Horizon had potential but they had these clueless people working on it. All the time and money wasted and doing things wrong to a point that now street racing is non existent. Somebody please hire some real up-to-date people to do it if you are going to release a street racing game!

Back to the question, I doubt they will bring it back. These people in high places seems to lack passion while we don't have the resources or money but have the passion.

I have the first and the second on my DC and I spent over 100 hours on both.
In my PSP, I played the Street Supremacy and Wangan Portable Iso.
Too bad that in this Generation Genki only made the Wangan Midnight and only for Jp. :( Thanks God that GT5 have the SSR7.
A new Tokyo Xtreme Racer for the next gen would be great, but Genki no longer made games for home consoles.👎
Instead, I would prefer a GT6 with a "free roam" mode in tokyo Shuto Expressway would be a great alternative to TXR.

GRP used to make some great games. Altough unlikely to happen, if the divison ever gets resurrected, I'd love to see a new and improved Kaido Battle/Racer.

Good thing that I still have my copy of Kaido Racer 2 (the PAL version of Kaido:Touge no Densetsu/TXR: Drift 2). Wasn't easy to come by at the time.

That makes no sense. I loved every TXR game. Using your logic sports games make no sense, Running the same foot ball plays on the same fields game after game....

That makes no sense. I loved every TXR game. Using your logic sports games make no sense, Running the same foot ball plays on the same fields game after game....

To be fair, a lot of people find sports games to be dull for that very reason.

Latest Posts

Back