• 7 comments
Uruguay
Rivera
Tsukishima-TDUDT
512QunV.png
TOM's Toyota LMP '96
512QunV.png

file.php

The TOM's Toyota LMP (nicknamed the "Lumpy") was a Le Mans Prototype built by Toyota. A very low budget effort, the car reused the 2.1-litre turbocharged straight-four engine from Toyota's Group C cars, and was intended as an experimental car. It never raced, although it was tested on at least three occasions.

In 1996, Toyota Motor Sports funded the development of an experimental Le Mans Prototype, which was officially known as the TOM'S Toyota LMP. As Toyota were primarily focusing on their Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) engine, which first ran that year, the LMP project was run on a tight budget of approximately $500,000. Due to this tight budget, the car, christened the "Lumpy", reused Toyota's 3S-GT engine in the 88C Group C specification, which was a 2.1-litre turbocharged straight-four engine, producing 560 hp, this engine was coupled to an Xtrac gearbox from a Peugeot Group C car.

The chassis tub was designed to be simple but strong, and the bodywork was also simple; the tight budget meant that the LMP never saw a wind tunnel. The bodywork was designed to minimize lift over the upper body of the car, and had much simpler brake cooling than on most Le Mans Prototypes; the radiator ducts were used, via a scoop, to cool the brakes. After the LMP was completed, Tom Kristensen tested it on at least one occasion, whilst project director Andy Thorby recalled it being tested a total of three times; he stated that the car was very reliable, had lower fuel consumption than the 88C Group C car had (with the same engine), and that it also appeared to be quick. Following the completion of the tests, the car was despatched to Toyota Team Europe's Cologne workshop, stored under a tarpaulin and eventually destroyed. Toyota would return to sportscar racing in 1998, with the André de Cortanze-designed Toyota GT-One.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Following the completion of the tests, the car was despatched to Toyota Team Europe's Cologne workshop, stored under a tarpaulin and eventually destroyed.​
I would love to see this in GT7 but this all but guarantees we will never see it's inclusion. This is a real pity.

I know the Isuzu was created from photos but that was deemed relevant as it was such a forward thinking car and a real change compared to what Isuzu usually produced. This Toyota has no pedigree or racing history so PD will have no interest in it.

:(

Last edited:
The fact that its destroyed seems to automatically make even making this thread abit of waste. There's no way anyone will have this car if it doesn't exist anymore.

I could say the same about some VGTs and the premium Isuzu we have on GT6.

Except the VGTs have models that are clay and or full sized models. Their is literally nothing for this car to even be modeled.

While I'm sick of seeing these suggestions....I would so much love this car to be in GT7, it looks amazing in just black, and it would probably be a joy to drive.

However as I said, I'm sick of these threads, PD is not looking at these and it's not really realistic to think they would. XD Nice car though, shame it never competed.

If the car doesn't even exist anymore, wouldn't it be kind of hard to put it in the game?

Back