Too many right seat driven cars...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Antineutrino
  • 89 comments
  • 6,031 views
I'm American so by the stereotype, I should hate all things not American and be an arrogant idiot who opposes every RHD car in the game. Too bad I mostly use RHD cars and love JDM cars so... I couldn't care less that the cars I like are RHD instead of LHD.
 
I know it's unavoidalbe since badge & steering wheel swaps don't work with Premium models, but it annoys me when I see in game a car I recognize in a form I don't. For example, the 350Z and 370Z being called "Fairlady Z" and having the steering wheel on the wrong side. Epic buzzkill!

Or the "Mazda Atenza". It's a Mazda6 to me, but the RHD shatters that illusion...
 
Last edited:
I know it's unavoidalbe since badge & steering wheel swaps don't work with Premium models, but it annoys me when I see in game a car I recognize in a form I don't. For example, the 350Z and 370Z being called "Fairlady Z" and having the steering wheel on the wrong side. Epic buzzkill!

Or the "Mazda Atenza". It's a Mazda6 to me, but the RHD shatters that illusion...

Is this just exaggeration, or does it really spoil it completely? What about a little bit of imagination?

Interestingly, both of those examples are the Japanese market names for those cars, which both happen to be Japanese; so you could argue that they're the cars' true names. :p

Then again, I refuse to buy Acura NSXs because they're inferior to the Hondas in some cases (except the Premium one, which I RM'd and pretend it's the GT2 car). It doesn't spoil it, though, just requires a bit more effort (/ imagination) to be enthused about / by it. Given the choice, say between a Mazda 6 or the Atenza, I would probably buy the 6; but if the Atenza were all there was, then that'd have to do, and it probably would "do" quite easily.
 
I always just jokingly think they got the Post Office Spec of the car when they have it incorrect. :lol:

It really doesn't bug me though when they do have it incorrect, I'd imagine the amount of resources/time wasted if they imported each vehicle from it's native country just to model and send it back. It just makes tons more sense to model a car that has been imported for sale in the country. The added accuracy would be nice but I doubt it'd be enough to make it worth it (only speaking for myself of course.)
 
Because its not a U.S. spec focus.

It's the European Focus, but has km/h dials, making it either the Japanese or Australian model. :lol:
 
It's the European Focus, but has km/h dials, making it either the Japanese or Australian model. :lol:
Which makes it interesting, since like the RS200 its listed as an American car yet was never available in the U.S.:crazy::lol:
 
Which makes it interesting, since like the RS200 its listed as an American car yet was never available in the U.S.:crazy::lol:

Not quite as interesting as the original Mini being German. But that's all been covered in other threads before.
"Nationalities" seem to be applied by manufacturer, so anything that falls under a given "umbrella", be it by acquisitions in BMW's case, or by being part of a larger group in the Ford RS200's case, it all gets painted in the same colours.
 
There's an exception to that rule though. Gran Turismo (the manufacturer) comes up as Japanese and American. The only car in the American side is the Ford GT LM, but it's still in the same Gran Turismo dealer as the X2010 and the karts, which are all Japanese.

With that said though, there's no "Europe" for the RS200 and Focus ST to be classed under, so maybe that's the problem?
 
There also used to be a difference of opinion between standard and premium garages as to where Acura were from. The premium garage had them listed in Japan, whereas the standards had America.
It could possibly have been the the other way round, I can't remember but I think it's been fixed now, but either way there were two origin countries describing the same manufacturer. I think the same was true for Infiniti at the same time.
 
There also used to be a difference of opinion between standard and premium garages as to where Acura were from. The premium garage had them listed in Japan, whereas the standards had America.
It could possibly have been the the other way round, I can't remember but I think it's been fixed now, but either way there were two origin countries describing the same manufacturer. I think the same was true for Infiniti at the same time.
That also applies to Lexus but I won't open that debate here since I've already vented about it elsewhere.:lol:
 
Just more selectivity / inconsistency, then? Oh well. I suppose you could get away with calling the RS200 UK-ian, but the Focus is definitely tricky... Then again, is a car designed and built in the UK on "American" money more rightly American, or "British"?
And what of other such creations, like the Mk.I GT40 (well, it's not in the game, so it's irrelevant, really...); or the Seats, which are badge-engineered (presumably by Seat) VW/Audis.

It's a big ol' can o' worms, is that. They'd need to have every market variation of every car and apply the correct "nationality" accordingly, in order to do it properly.
 
That also applies to Lexus but I won't open that debate here since I've already vented about it elsewhere.:lol:

I was about to say, Lexus is still reported as Japanese in the premium garage and American in the standards garage.
 
My RL car got sold from a Japanese manufacturer, but was actually designed in France and built in the UK. Still it's LHD. And comes with a Premium cockpit view though I haven't bothered changing the rims nor did an ECU upgrade (1000 €? Seriously?) ;)
 
I was about to say, Lexus is still reported as Japanese in the premium garage and American in the standards garage.

I think there's even one Lexus in the UCD marked as Korean. A touring car looking thing.
 
People are really scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for things to whine about aren't they?
 
Then again, I refuse to buy Acura NSXs because they're inferior to the Hondas in some cases (except the Premium one, which I RM'd and pretend it's the GT2 car).

Now you mention the Acura NSX, the Premium one is LHD (American) whilst the Premium Honda NSX Type R is RHD yet their interiors share a lot of the same architecture (okay, some different parts/textures/colours, etc. but still).

The Premium MINI we got since Prologue is LHD whilst the newer Premium MINI we got since GT5's release is RHD and which interior uses a different point of view (much closer to the windscreen) and appears more crudely detailed/modelled than the older one.
The last MINI we got via DLC is LHD again and uses the same point of view as the Prologue one and is again better detailed, which might suggest they've use the older cars interior as a starting point.

Not really sure where I'm going with this, in fact PD sometimes seems not to know as well. :p
 
Last edited:
Or the "Mazda Atenza". It's a Mazda6 to me, but the RHD shatters that illusion...

Which is a good thing, because the JDM Atenza and the USDM Mazda6 are no longer even the same car.
 
Now you mention the Acura NSX, the Premium one is LHD (American) whilst the Premium Honda NSX Type R is RHD yet their interiors share a lot of the same architecture (okay, some different parts/textures/colours, etc. but still).



Not really sure where I'm going with this, in fact PD sometimes seems not to know as well. :p

The Acura is an American Market model, the NSX Type R was only sold in Japan.
 
For example, the 350Z and 370Z being called "Fairlady Z" and having the steering wheel on the wrong side. Epic buzzkill!

Having spent time in the Fairlady Z's country of origin, I can tell you this, they had better versions of Fairlady Zs that the USA never got, and they blow away what they sold here in the USA. :drool:

Same holds true for most Japanese cars, they have high performance domestic Japanese versions that never make it to the USA, although some partially de-fanged versions do get released in Europe.

Edit, addition:
The Acura is an American Market model, the NSX Type R was only sold in Japan.

One of the reasons high performance Honda's like the Type R's sold in Japan do not get released in USA is to avoid competition with the Acura line.
------------------------------------------
:) On topic return… If you guys have watched the GT Academy USA series that Brian H. won, in one of the first episodes, he is berated by the judges for complaining that the cars he had to drive at Silverstone had steering wheels on the right.
 
Last edited:
The Acura is an American Market model, the NSX Type R was only sold in Japan.

I know that, just struck me as a bit odd perhaps to include the Acura version if they could've added a first generation RHD Honda NSX instead since they then could've used the same basic interior architecture without the need to remodel it completely.

They didn't take a shortcut but maybe that's simply due to Acura being requested to be one of the brands included in the Premium dealerships for marketing reasons perhaps.
 
I know that, just struck me as a bit odd perhaps to include the Acura version if they could've added a first generation RHD Honda NSX instead since they then could've used the same basic interior architecture without the need to remodel it completely.

They didn't take a shortcut but maybe that's simply due to Acura being requested to be one of the brands included in the Premium dealerships for marketing reasons perhaps.

I mustard mitt, I can't think of any other reason to have Acura in the game (no, I don't care about the CL coupe).
 
Which is a good thing, because the JDM Atenza and the USDM Mazda6 are no longer even the same car.

Didn't know, and I'm still not sure. If Wikipedia's dreadfully thin article is any indication, they just stretched the body in every direction without changing many of the styling details. So, when I saw the Atenza in game, it looked almost exactly like a Mazda6.
 
It's not just British 'gentlemen' (I hate that steriotype), and japan that drive rhd anyway, why would pd have to change right to left, when there is still rhd people in gt5. Personally, you should just put up with it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure women have the right to drive in Britain. :p :sly: :rolleyes: :lol:

(As do "the peasants"????? lol)

:lol:
I'm American and that kind of thing matters not to me!
 
ReincarnationB
But that is no reason to insult me

I am quite offended by this filmsy assumption that every British person is what you have described. :scared: An apology would be nice.

Must be my American ignorance but I don't get why you are so upset about being called a "gentleman"?

Would you rather be called an a**hole?
 
Must be my American ignorance but I don't get why you are so upset about being called a "gentleman"?

Would you rather be called an a**hole?

Because we say "gentlemen" as another word for "guys" or "men".
But traditionally in the English language, it refers to gentry or noblemen. (ie: educated & wealthy males from prominent families)
My guess is, if you say "British Gentlemen"... it could possibly be a term to make a dig about historical British Empire rule of other countries.

It's quite outdated. :rolleyes:

I don't see what it has to do with whether a car is right-handed or left handed in gt5. The game is made in Japan, and they can do whatever they want for their own reasons... that I highly doubt have anything to do with some reverence to British Empire rule in the historical times. :rolleyes:

I don't see what the big deal is... You're not driving on streets with traffic in GT5. You're driving on racetracks. :boggled: What does it matter???
 
Must be my American ignorance but I don't get why you are so upset about being called a "gentleman"?

Would you rather be called an a**hole?

Because she's is a girl or he is just plain impolite...

On topic... the cars should be RHD or LHD based on the country of origin IMO...

Just as a curiosity.

74 countries are left-driving, while 166 are right-driving but only 33% of the world population lives in the former wich means 77% of the world population is right-driving.
 
Because we say "gentlemen" as another word for "guys" or "men".
But traditionally in the English language, it refers to gentry or noblemen. (ie: educated & wealthy males from prominent families)
My guess is, if you say "British Gentlemen"... it could possibly be a term to make a dig about historical British Empire rule of other countries.

It's quite outdated. :rolleyes:
...

It's also incredibly annoying to see that stereotype, especially in the media; but then it's the same for any nationality. That's not an excuse, of course.
And I still don't think that was the original implication at all, so we should probably move on... :guilty:


I still don't see that populations of countries have anything to do with it either. It should depend on the car, or, better, the player.
 
Back