Top 10 Best looking driving games of all time

• Thread starter Shirrako
  • 39 comments
United Kingdom
London, UK
Shirrako
What are the best looking driving games?

Include your own list and some videos to show why you think the game is on the top 10 best looking driving games of all time.

I can't think of a lot but i'll go with...

Project CARS
Driveclub (PS4 Only)
The Crew
Forza Motorsport 5 (Xbox One Only)
Gran Turismo 6 (PS3 Only)

I know there are a lot more to add to the list, i will update my personal list when more games comes to my mind.

What is your personal TOP 10?

Off all time would surely be now? unless you mean compared to respective time periods.

Can't add to your post, GT5 Prolouge was stunning as well maybe add rivals to that list.

Well I posted these picture before but it is still a really good looking game I think. Its Dirt 2 and this is the PS3 version

ColinMcRaeDiRT2-jordan_17_zpsf9bd8ffe.png

ColinMcRaeDiRT2-jordan_8_zps6ab98886.png

If we are talking in motion then Mario Kart 8 deserves a shout. Split/Second and Blur were also stunning on the PS3...especially Blur. A great art-style will always triumph over sheer graphics.

Graphics wise, is pretty pointless, newer stuff tent to look better with better shadowing and better rendering engines and so on.

I do think that most games have lost aesthetic balance (GT5 and GT6 being the primordial example of this), but for aesthetics alone and scenarios:

1. Sega Outrun 2 (gorgeous game for it's date, even on the Original xbox it looked better than some early 360 games).
2. Need For Speed Underground (perfect themes, visual aesthetics and motion blur to showcase the game itself).
3. Burnout 3: Takedown (gorgeous scenarios and visuals).
4. Moto GP 2007.
5. GT5: Prologue (even if GT5 looks better, this one managed to have a near perfect aesthetic balance, even if it was a tech demo).
6. Mario Kart 8 (the art is simply stunning).
7. Crazy Taxi (at some degree)
8. F1 2010
9. Forza Horizon (1st one)
10. Driveclub (will get higher, but I'll wait to see the final thing)

Is close between Outrun 2 and NFSU, personally I found NFSU as the best looking game regarding nearly all aesthetic fields, that said Outrun 2 is probably best because of the technical achievement that was considering the hardware.

Wow PGR looks incredible, also even Forza 4 tries to make a statement with the high contrast and vivid colors, it's like being in a Michael Bay movie, it's not the most realistic looking game out there but it has character. Same goes for Shift 2, it almost looks like a painting.

Hard Drivin'
Test Drive III
Microprose F1GP
Daytona USA
Destruction Derby
TOCA Touring Car Championship
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Project Cars

From young boy to old man. IIRC, mind was blown in that order.

Graphically.

GP Legends! Ok, this may be a modded screenshot, but it looks amazing for such an old (1998?) engine:

Grand-Prix-Legends-Patch_2.jpg

Ok, so presuming looking at this thread we are going for how good they looked when they actually came out:

Rallisport Challenge 2, one of the best looking games on XBOX. 2004
rc2_screen_02.jpg

rc2_screen_03.jpg

Grand Prix Challenge, 2002 season, 2002 released PS2 F1 game.
1729007-grand_prix_challenge_3.jpeg

Spa_07.sized.jpg

This is going to sound strange but I still like the graphics of a 13 y.o off road race game.

>>>> 1nsane

FlaOut UC

Dirt2 & 3

pCars

GT5 (I don't own GT6)

From what I've seen so far: DriveClub

The Crew

Last edited:
Forza 3, 4 and Horizon were nice, GT6 also (but it's not a complete game). WipEout HD is very atmospheric and is almost what 2207 could possibly look like.

I have been thinking a fair bit recently about graphics in racing games. It is interesting that this thread has not been active for over 5 years, but it seems like all of the development over these years has been on more photorealism. I guess this is connected to the focus on racing sims rather than arcade racers.

Gran Turismo Sport and Project Cars 2 look amazing, but they still aren't as beautiful as Driveclub, or even some more creative seventh gen console games.

I don't think Driveclub is particularly good looking with age; the car models are relatively basic and the backgrounds are really quite rough edged, although the scope of the weather is the game's raison d'etre and it does that well.

I only have Horizon 4 on the OG Xbox, so I cant speak for its fidelity on a One X or PC, but the sky box is stunning, especially at sunrise or sunset.

GT Sport has the best car models, that's a given, but it also has a beautiful lighting model, perhaps more so on my old 1080p set than it ever looked in HDR on my modern 4K Samsung.

Man this thread takes me back.
For me currently it’s these:

Forza Horizon 4:
Overall as a game this is just so stunning, the environment is beautiful, the cars a well modelled and it excels in particular on an Xbox One X running at full beans. Stunningly jaw dropping game.

Gran Turismo Sport:
Lists like this aren’t complete without a Gran Turismo. They are almost clinical in their perfection and the idealistic styling of the world. The car models are the very best, the graphical fidelity is immense and there’s very little I don’t love about how this game looks.

Forza Motorsport 7
Similar to GTS but with a few more rough edges. On an Xbox One X again this just shines. Striking colours and weather effects, well modelled cars and beautiful textures throughout.

Dirt Rally 2.0:
I know not everyone will agree with this but the stage design paired with good car models, excellent foliage and excellent weather effects make this a real contender. I know it has its faults graphically but when it’s on song there’s not much better.

pCars 2:
There’s no denying on the right hardware this is a stunning game. It can be very inconsistent but generally speaking, like Forza 7, it’s hard not to appreciate its detail.

I agree with all of @MagpieRacer 's nominations. I haven't played the release build of GT Sport, but the footage I've seen has convinced me it is worthy to be considered one of the best looking games.

DiRT Rally 2.0 is a very stunning game, I'm quite lost as to why GRID (2019) doesn't look as good... :boggled:Maybe it is to do with having more cars on track.

Some candidates I would like to add:
The Crew 2: Yes, this game is very hit-and-miss but if you play around with the Time of Day settings and weather conditions in photomode, some of the images can be quite remarkable.
Need For Speed 2015: This game is cheating by being set at night all the time, but the dark, damp and grainy setting captures the illicit street racing vibe perfectly. I wouldn't consider 2015 realistic, but I do appreciate its art style.

1. GT
2. Forza
3. Dirt
4. Ride
5. Crew
6. TDU
7. PGR
8. Race Room/sector 3
9. PCars
10. Rally car challenge
Not necessarily in that order

Last edited: