Top Gear Test Track in Gran Turismo 5!

• Thread starter amar212
  • 541 comments
Trevherrer
I only wish they'd make a boundless version so i can go around and feel like jeremy or captain slow or our suicidal rocket car man XD i want at least one level where i can just screw around without any friggin lap times and such..

Agreed, get rid of the invisible walls.

i wish theyd get rid of those invisible walls altogether! i mean i enjoy playing DIRT 2 aswell and at least there only when you massively wipe out flying off do you see that there are invisible walls for the rest theres always fences or big ol trees that smash your car XD

SIARPC for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahah!

I was wondering why a thread with recent posts was started all the way back in 2007, and now I found out what happened. Post 159 was all the way back on November 3, 2007, and then this post (quoted) bumped the thread after being dead for thirty full months. 2.5 years later, a cold, dead topic is resurrected for "SIARPC for everyone!" and a whole bunch of extra punctuation marks.

Where's me an old topic from half a decade ago that I can bump by posting that "I like tater tots" or "Yay, GT5"?

TOP GEAR OWNS Thumbs UP 4 JEREMY CLARKSON 👍👍👍

The original is awesome. I don't care for the US knockoff, though. I find it amusing that there are folks who believe the US version will "give the British show a run for its money".

The OP here really shows how GT5 fails to deliver on the "past promises". The Top Gear track could have been one of the highlights of the game, instead it's on e of the most boring, and the whole Top Gear concept has been hidden away quite well.

^^ I agree with gambleboyen, the lack of identical camera angles to those found on the show, the inexistent participation of the presenters ( other than a short introduction film featuring the Stig ) and not even a dedicated structure to organize a decent power lap board for the course. :( Yes, possibilites were underused.

On another note, I would like to rant a little bit because, why... you can't have even a single decent race online on that track? Seriosuly, each and every lobby is dedicated to drag, have fun and trade cars, which is perfectly fine. However, I can never find anyone interested in throwing two sportscars on the track and chasing each other. :irked:

-> I'm still hoping for the other Top Gear tracks from USA, the two from Australia, the now-defunct Russia, and the now christiened Chinese version...

I decided to go back to the 3rd part of the TG Special and remember why I never obtained Gold; I wish they would get rid of the cars running as mirrors on the reverse track.

I was in 1st 3 times now, and each time a car came from the left and nailed me. They normally nail the AI early in the piece though, but not enough that it helps overall. Happens every time :( But in the end, I got it!

-> I'm still hoping for the other Top Gear tracks from USA, the two from Australia, the now-defunct Russia, and the now christiened Chinese version...
DLC with luck 👍 Being as this is one the largest forums deicated to GT, you would have to hope 'they' look and see ideas!

Last edited:
Brand new to GT gaming..... I saw a comment online about GT5 having the Top Gear test track, went out immediately (at my age, it's not practical to put off getting fun things) and bought my first computer game (PS3, Force Pro wheel, GT5) last night soley because of the Top Gear test track feature without knowing any more about it. Actually it wasn't my first electronic game, I did buy an original Pong game in 72 when they first came out, and I bought a hand held Mattel Auto Race game at a concession stand (I think it may have been Oscar Kovaleski's Autoworld trailer) while attending the 76 GP at Watkins Glen. As I recall, that game consisted of three vertical rows of LED's, a four position slide which represented a four speed gearbox, and a three position slide switch to allow you to switch your "car" between the three LED "lanes". LED's representing other competitors cars would come down at you from the top of the rows as if you were overtaking them. You would use the 3 position switch to change lanes for your "car", which was an LED at the bottom of the rows, between the three vertical rows to avoid collisions with the "cars" coming down at you, simulating passing those approaching "cars".

Anyway, I set the PS3 and GT5 up to make sure it worked ok but didn't do anything with the TG track itself. GT5 itself looks like lots of fun, come a long way since the Mattel!

I'm now reading comments about how it doesn't really reflect Top Gear tests (no standing start, full track not available, no single car testing to attempt duplicating Top Gear runs, etc). Quite disappointing but hopefully that will be corrected at some time in the future.

Meanwhile, not otherwise knowing anything about GT5, I see there is a "course maker" feature. Has anyone attempted to recreate the full Top Gear test track using this "course maker"? I realize you probably couldn't get the background accurate etc, but could the airfield and full course be created such that we could in effect create our own true Top Gear test track? If this were possible, can these created tracks be shared with other users?

Anybody notice theres a wet alternate day set to the top gear test track now?
or has it always been there?

Brand new to GT gaming..... I saw a comment online about GT5 having the Top Gear test track, went out immediately (at my age, it's not practical to put off getting fun things) and bought my first computer game (PS3, Force Pro wheel, GT5) last night soley because of the Top Gear test track feature without knowing any more about it. Actually it wasn't my first electronic game, I did buy an original Pong game in 72 when they first came out, and I bought a hand held Mattel Auto Race game at a concession stand (I think it may have been Oscar Kovaleski's Autoworld trailer) while attending the 76 GP at Watkins Glen. As I recall, that game consisted of three vertical rows of LED's, a four position slide which represented a four speed gearbox, and a three position slide switch to allow you to switch your "car" between the three LED "lanes". LED's representing other competitors cars would come down at you from the top of the rows as if you were overtaking them. You would use the 3 position switch to change lanes for your "car", which was an LED at the bottom of the rows, between the three vertical rows to avoid collisions with the "cars" coming down at you, simulating passing those approaching "cars".

Anyway, I set the PS3 and GT5 up to make sure it worked ok but didn't do anything with the TG track itself. GT5 itself looks like lots of fun, come a long way since the Mattel!

I'm now reading comments about how it doesn't really reflect Top Gear tests (no standing start, full track not available, no single car testing to attempt duplicating Top Gear runs, etc). Quite disappointing but hopefully that will be corrected at some time in the future.

Meanwhile, not otherwise knowing anything about GT5, I see there is a "course maker" feature. Has anyone attempted to recreate the full Top Gear test track using this "course maker"? I realize you probably couldn't get the background accurate etc, but could the airfield and full course be created such that we could in effect create our own true Top Gear test track? If this were possible, can these created tracks be shared with other users?

Using the coure editor, it is not a true course maker. The game draws the track and you just input values to make certain corners tighter, more bank, and complexity.

Got a screenshot?
go to liscence test, IA with the GTR spec V, its set on top gear wet in the evening, and remember back in the old trailer it showed top gear at evening-night where they reveiled the audi R10, tells me something.

go to liscence test, IA with the GTR spec V, its set on top gear wet in the evening, and remember back in the old trailer it showed top gear at evening-night where they reveiled the audi R10, tells me something.
It has always been in the license test, but nowhere else. The vid with the R10 is on the airport of the RedBull hangar.

Brand new to GT gaming..... I saw a comment online about GT5 having the Top Gear test track, went out immediately (at my age, it's not practical to put off getting fun things) and bought my first computer game (PS3, Force Pro wheel, GT5) last night soley because of the Top Gear test track feature without knowing any more about it.

Wow you're gonna be pissed once you see this..

Geez, they got the right angles.
I don't understand why we don't have this in GT5. It's not a difficult thing to do dammit.

Something you can't deny about Forza is that they listen to fans.

Wow you're gonna be pissed once you see this..

Wow, Forza really put PD to shame on the replay presentation. And another bonus for them if there are no invisible walls.

That said, GT5's top gear test track is still fantastic. It's an entire game within the game for me to hotlap road cars there. I have my own power laps board on my phone and everything. Love it.

The no standing start thing is a bummer, then again I'm not sure how practical it would be. Only your first lap would be a standing start, meaning you would be doing your "hot lap" on cold tires. And then you would have to restart back to cold tires again after every lap. The times still wouldn't be accurate, nless they made a special "Standing Start Power Lap Mode with warm tires and new standing starts each time after you cross the finish line."

It's true that GT5's lap times don't reflect Top Gear, but let's be honest... even if there was a standing start we would still be blowing The Stig's times out of the water.

Today I just beat the Pagani Zonda R's real life Nurburgring lap time, on my first attempt, by 15 seconds. My GT-R Nurb lap time is 5 seconds faster than the real life counterpart.

No matter how much we want the game to reflect real life lap times down to the second, the fact that we don't have to worry about crashing a multi million dollar car, don't have to fight g-forces, get infinite retries, etc. mean the times are never going to be accurate. Which makes the whole "Oh no! No standing start, how will I know if I'm faster than The Stig!!?" concern is a moot point anyway. Spoiler... you will be faster, by a lot.

Since the times don't match, I enjoy seeing if my Power Lap board matches Top Gear's power lap board by car order. It's fun to see if Stig is better at driving certain cars relative to others than I am. In the end, this is what I would be doing anyway if the game was perfectly realistic and had a standing start. Comparing times down to the second just isn't a realistic expectation.

It's true that GT5's lap times don't reflect Top Gear, but let's be honest... even if there was a standing start we would still be blowing The Stig's times out of the water.

Today I just beat the Pagani Zonda R's real life Nurburgring lap time, on my first attempt, by 15 seconds. My GT-R Nurb lap time is 5 seconds faster than the real life counterpart.

No matter how much we want the game to reflect real life lap times down to the second, the fact that we don't have to worry about crashing a multi million dollar car, don't have to fight g-forces, get infinite retries, etc. mean the times are never going to be accurate. Which makes the whole "Oh no! No standing start, how will I know if I'm faster than The Stig!!?" concern is a moot point anyway. Spoiler... you will be faster, by a lot.

Since the times don't match, I enjoy seeing if my Power Lap board matches Top Gear's power lap board by car order. It's fun to see if Stig is better at driving certain cars relative to others than I am. In the end, this is what I would be doing anyway if the game was perfectly realistic and had a standing start. Comparing times down to the second just isn't a realistic expectation.
I have tested this.

Before the lap timer starts, you can take the car just up to the starting line and stop. This forces the game to give you a standing start. I finished my lap and was several seconds faster than Top Gear's time, as expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
forza4xu.jpg

👎

Pretty sure that's there to stop track cutting.

And they couldn't have easily done that by disallowing the lap times?

While I'm at it, why the Hell is Forza even being mentioned or posted here when this could easily be talked about in the "GT Vs Forza" Thread?

Back