Top Gear Track & Replay GRIPES!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kuhnaydeein
  • 75 comments
  • 10,286 views
You will have to escuse me if this has already been asked.....:ouch:

Ive gotten Bronze on the TG task with the campa van, and just starting the Lotus one.

Am i right in saying that once the three TG challenges are done (3rd place or higher) the TG track is opened up else where like in Arcade?

No, you need to achieve gold in the camper van im affraid. It can take a while. Just need to out-break the others. As long as you have got the leader in your sights before the last two bends, you should be able to slip by. Took me about 20 attempts!.
 
need to do away with all the cones, and need to give us the whole airfield to play with. Just isnt the same...


I agree. Having the airfield to use as a free roam test area would be perfect.
 
No, you need to achieve gold in the camper van im affraid. It can take a while. Just need to out-break the others. As long as you have got the leader in your sights before the last two bends, you should be able to slip by. Took me about 20 attempts!.


Thanks,

Is that on all three TG challenges?
 
I would personaly have prefered timed Challenges at the top gear test track rather then races.
THe TG track was never designed as a race track so I have no idea why PD through that it would be a good idea to use it for race challenges there.
 
idk about you guys, but I got totally destroyed by the elise challenge. I worked on it for an hour or two and the best I could get was 4th. =(
 
I would personaly have prefered timed Challenges at the top gear test track rather then races.
THe TG track was never designed as a race track so I have no idea why PD through that it would be a good idea to use it for race challenges there.


me too. honestly that was more what I was expecting with the Top Gear challenge... maybe the resonable car challenge, if not beat the Stig deal.

as frustrating as the van challenge was for me, I do have to say it was very satisfying and rewarding when I finally beat it to unlock the test track.

I do wish they did a bit more with it though... something to tie in with the show more. :confused:
 
I think I'd have preferred TG lapping events rather than overtakes, but even so they're challenging and fun (eventually!).

I've been playing with everything off (including ABS) using a G27 -the Elise challenge is a beast in that configuration, but once you get control of the car and learn the track better, it is a great challenge.

Samaba Bus is annoying just because it's so slow - you might be doing well at 1.5 laps and then lose it or get bumped etc and it takes a long tim to restart and get back to that position....

I think though any greater tie-in from the show would have required a lot more licensing work with the BBC. At the moment you've got the track (which is at a public airfield so hardly a major licensing issue there) and the voice over which mentions the show and Stig and of course the TG name. Not really a great deal for the BBC to get concerned about. If they'd have tried to get more access I can see there being problems since the BBC is publicly funded and cannot be seen to favour or promote one product over another.

As for the airplanes - the TG track is based at a working airfield and there are, in the show, several times where aircraft are visible in the background - not just the 747.

Rotor.
 
Last edited:
Thanks,

Is that on all three TG challenges?

No, Just the beginner challange with the camper vans. But you need to come in 1st place to unlock the TG Test track.
 
I agree. Having the airfield to use as a free roam test area would be perfect.

One you unlock the Top Gear test track you can go into arcade mode, select time trail and use the track as you please.:) or select it in practice in GT mode!
 
I just got gold i in the TG challenge yesterday, heres a tip: Turn aids on, DRAFT, go fast, and brake every corner. Drafting is key, when u turn a corner, make sure you have someone to draft.
 
I'm more pissed that the Samba Bus and that WW2 Jeep thing took up two very valuable premium car slots.

But yeah, I agree, PD haven't got a clue.

Yeah. We dont get the new Scirrocco, MK6 GTI, or a Corrado, or that W12 Golf they made, or the new R ETC. We get a Hippy bus and the Schwimmenwagen, really? Who wants to race those. Are we going to have a amphibious race?

And seriously if one of those busses spins me out again....
 
Yeah, hate to pile on here but I was so let down with the Top Gear tie in. I was sure there would be much much more than what we got. For some reason I really thought the Top Gear track would be the new "test" circuit with that massive runway it would be a perfect spot to do speed & tuning tests. To have the Top Gear track and to be missing a standing start single lap option is almost unforgivable.

It's like PD doesn't have a clue what to do with these licenses they get. WRC is nothing in this game. Top Gear.. we get a track. The entire A-Spec thing is just the same ol same ol. PD should have ditched the boring menu lists and went back to a world map and had events all over, blocks of WRC races, F1 races, have a Top Gear mode where you would travel about doing some silly/some serious events with a wide range of cars from super cars to the samba buses. A NASCAR series. Touring Car series. Each one would be full of events and stages to complete. Have a option to run these series with longer races and pit stops for those that want to do it. PD doesn't seem to want to anything other than make nice looking cars which is cool but the actual game is suffering a bit for it.
 
This Elise 111R challenge for the intermediate level is apparently my kryptonite. That first corner is killing me - every time I get on the brakes, I'm sliding and rotating to the left, and I end up in the cones.

And seriously PD, where is the standing start, Lacetti, Liana, C'eed?!? Power lap board? As soon as I heard the TG Test Track was in, I just KNEW we'd be able to beat all those stars in some reasonably priced cars. Fail.
 
I was going to say that. The shot of the Gallardo going past the tyres got me all excited when I watched the trailer, only to be disappointed when I bought the game

That shot is in GT5 ,I've seen it on there. It's just different shots are used on different replay's.
 
That shot is in GT5 ,I've seen it on there. It's just different shots are used on different replay's.

Very true I have watched a bunch of replays on Top Gear Track and they use different camera angles each time - some from that are exact replicas of the show and some that are not. So surely this could be easily fixed with a patch if PD can be bothered - you should at least get the option of viewing Top Gear replay or Gran Turismo replay.

If they could do that and add a standing start time trial option I would be more than happy with the Top Gear track.

PS I was sure based on one of the trailers that one of the challenges would feature Imprezza vs Evo.....
 
They could have easily used the Top Gear track as sorely missed 0-400m, 0-1000m, test tracks...

I do miss logging all my cars "get up to speed" times... even though GT 2 had a nasty bug that would delete your garage...
 
Having the TG track being totally open would be narly for taking your fav car and blasting it around like they do in the show. From the previews I was honestly expecting this. But...I was let down.
 
This Elise 111R challenge for the intermediate level is apparently my kryptonite. That first corner is killing me - every time I get on the brakes, I'm sliding and rotating to the left, and I end up in the cones.

And seriously PD, where is the standing start, Lacetti, Liana, C'eed?!? Power lap board? As soon as I heard the TG Test Track was in, I just KNEW we'd be able to beat all those stars in some reasonably priced cars. Fail.

Agreed, I really expected the reasonably priced cars event/s and a "be the Stig" mode with our own leader board... Or at least a form of "playground" track that is becoming a standard feature in other games now. It was a fare expectation or assumption to make...

Is it even a rolling start in Arcade mode?
 
Definitely needs standing starts, but the rest is excusable I guess.
 
This Elise 111R challenge for the intermediate level is apparently my kryptonite. That first corner is killing me - every time I get on the brakes, I'm sliding and rotating to the left, and I end up in the cones.

And seriously PD, where is the standing start, Lacetti, Liana, C'eed?!? Power lap board? As soon as I heard the TG Test Track was in, I just KNEW we'd be able to beat all those stars in some reasonably priced cars. Fail.

don't turn while braking, and dont accelerate until the car is heading straight. fail to do any of this and you'll slam into something and your Disqualified.
 
don't turn while braking, and dont accelerate until the car is heading straight. fail to do any of this and you'll slam into something and your Disqualified.

Yeah you need to try and do all of your braking and accelerating in a straight line to avoid getting crossed up. Just for the record though, an Elise doesn't move around like that in real life.
 
I agree with the camera angels, but that's about it.
The touchy disqualifications are because of the restrictions of that specific challenge and aren't really that hard to avoid, just fall into line and wait for the track to widen back up. For a standing start, stop just before the finish line, when you do a time trial the lap timer doesn't start for the first time until after you pass the line.
 
DQs in the Samba bus are driving me crazy (I just got back from vacation so tonight was my first chance to play). I've loved everything else I've done, but those dang DQs are so frustrating.
 
DQs in the Samba bus are driving me crazy (I just got back from vacation so tonight was my first chance to play). I've loved everything else I've done, but those dang DQs are so frustrating.

Going into the hammerhead, as I've said before, is the worst! Just fall into line like the above reply states and you should be good!
 
Going into the hammerhead, as I've said before, is the worst! Just fall into line like the above reply states and you should be good!
The hamerhead was easy for me. I just went down the right hand side braked early and can get around 1-2 cars.
 
The people of Top Gear would surely hate how their tie-in is implemented.
 
I tried for two hours and could'nt best 3rd in the lotus challenge. Has anybody placed first?
 
Back