Top Speed F-1

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 76 comments
Originally posted by GTS-R_MAN
well my F687/s has 2000+miles on it do you know when the engine is gonna wear?

Around the 1000km mark, which would be around 600 miles for you - so it would have worn as far as it's going to.

Some other settings changes that might see top-speed improvement for the F1s...

Suspension:
setting the Toe and Camber angles to 0 (default has them non-zero) will give less resistance to going straight. Not only does this make it easier to push the car forward, but it also helps even out the tire wear (for Test Course in particular)... ever notice how the left rear tire goes first (the inside tire)?

Downforce:
The greater the downforce, the greater the drag. For the test course, getting that little extra downward push isn't as necessary of a benefit for turning/accelerating as it is a hinderance for maxing speed. Try decreasing the downforce (especially for the rear) to improve the aerodynamics of the F1.

Gear Ratio:
I've found that the best settings for gear ratios depend on whether runing solo or with others. Racing solo, one might get the most from an auto-setting around 39 or 40. But when racing with others, drafting will allow for higher speeds, a setting of 42 seemed to be the best for the F094/S (789 hp).

Other than that, I've found that running just below the dashed line (on the Test Course) lends itself to easy turning while maintaining a high speed. Getting too far above that line, you'll increase your distance traveled (bigger radius) by what might end up being a moderately significant amount. This might not change top speed, but it will affect total lap time.

Hope this helped. Have a great drive!

Hazzard

Just did a test run of my own with my trusty F1 oval car, the F686/M (I have the colour combo that looks like the 1986 Williams :D)... ANYWAY :)

It pushes out 973hp @ 12,000rpm and 590ft.lbs @ 10,500rpm from a Turbocharged 1.5L Honda engine.

So I took it on the test course and this is what I got:

Times (F686/M):

0-400m = 9.307s @ 174mph (280km/h)

0-1000m = 16.120s @ 217mph (349.2km/h)

Top Speed (non drafting) = 240.1mph (386.4km/h)

So this is the fastest oval Formula One car in the game, however, it can't stand up to the F094/S, but you all know that from driving them ;)

Hope this helped any :)

Originally posted by RoadHazzard
Some other settings changes that might see top-speed improvement for the F1s...

Suspension:
setting the Toe and Camber angles to 0 (default has them non-zero) will give less resistance to going straight. Not only does this make it easier to push the car forward, but it also helps even out the tire wear (for Test Course in particular)... ever notice how the left rear tire goes first (the inside tire)?

Downforce:
The greater the downforce, the greater the drag. For the test course, getting that little extra downward push isn't as necessary of a benefit for turning/accelerating as it is a hinderance for maxing speed. Try decreasing the downforce (especially for the rear) to improve the aerodynamics of the F1.

Gear Ratio:
I've found that the best settings for gear ratios depend on whether runing solo or with others. Racing solo, one might get the most from an auto-setting around 39 or 40. But when racing with others, drafting will allow for higher speeds, a setting of 42 seemed to be the best for the F094/S (789 hp).

Other than that, I've found that running just below the dashed line (on the Test Course) lends itself to easy turning while maintaining a high speed. Getting too far above that line, you'll increase your distance traveled (bigger radius) by what might end up being a moderately significant amount. This might not change top speed, but it will affect total lap time.

Hope this helped. Have a great drive!

Hazzard

Nice, I'm going to try some of those ;)

Originally posted by Majarvis
Just did a test run of my own with my trusty F1 oval car, the F686/M (I have the colour combo that looks like the 1986 Williams :D)... ANYWAY :)

It pushes out 973hp @ 12,000rpm and 590ft.lbs @ 10,500rpm from a Turbocharged 1.5L Honda engine.

So I took it on the test course and this is what I got:

Times (F686/M):

Top Speed (non drafting) = 240.1mph (386.4km/h)

So this is the fastest oval Formula One car in the game, however, it can't stand up to the F094/S, but you all know that from driving them ;)

Hope this helped any :)

I'm proud to announce that by putting the toe and camber settings to 0, I have a new top speed of:

Top Speed (non drafting) = 243.3mph (391.6km/h)

And I just realized this was an old thread, oh well :rolleyes: :P

I've gotten my F094/H to 225 in one lap.

And you're right, F1's are about acceleration, so a better question may be, how long it took you to reach 400 meters... I did it in 8.841 seconds...

I am very surprised to see that only 2 people in this thread have submitted their top speed with the F686/M. It has the highest horsepower, so wouldn't that kind of give you a clue to its higher top speed?

Anyways, I have a top speed of 243.5 mph with the F686/M.

Originally posted by quicksilver1122
I've gotten my F094/H to 225 in one lap.

And you're right, F1's are about acceleration, so a better question may be, how long it took you to reach 400 meters... I did it in 8.841 seconds...

Here ya go :) Ya beat me :( :P

Originally posted by 12sec. Civic
I am very surprised to see that only 2 people in this thread have submitted their top speed with the F686/M. It has the highest horsepower, so wouldn't that kind of give you a clue to its higher top speed?

Anyways, I have a top speed of 243.5 mph with the F686/M.

I agree, maybe some people don't know about it? But I mean yeah it has the highest hp so obviously it's gonna be the fastest on an oval, it's wicked at the Super Speedway, just going flat out the whole time :D

Dah!!! .2mph!!! You... ;) :P the 86 is my favorite cuz it's the most powerful of the turbo cars in the game, although, I wish they would have made a car called the F483/P (it would have been a 1983 Brabham BT52B, the famous car that, in qualifying trim, had around 1400hp from a Turbocharged 1.5L BMW 4-cylinder, that would have been something in this game!, and the P being for Nelson Piquet) :eek:

You guys don't know me very much YET, but I'm a Formula One nut, I'm especially fascinated with the height of the Turbo-era (1980-83) Although Honda were still producing powerplants that were pumping out over 1000hp up to 1986ish, it was nothing in comparison to what BMW did in 83, that engine had, an estimted, 86PSI of Turbo boost :eek:

Too funny AO...

BTW...Horsepower isn't ALL that matters in top speed fellas...

It's the Horsepower to WEIGHT ratio that really matters!!!

:D

Originally posted by jdhnc13
Too funny AO...

Quite true, for acceleration, but once you're moving it doesn't really matter does it (like 200mph+)?

In any case, the F686/M has the most power and power weight ratio, so it is the definitive oval F1 car in this game IMO.

MORE Horsepower matters more in terms of heavy cars accelerating quickly...and it helps in top end sure, but lighter cars don't need as much horsepower to accelerate AND to reach high speeds.

Horsepower to weight matters in both acceleration AND top end...not just acceleration. What matters is the MOST horsepower out of the lightest engine in the lightest car to reach the highest speeds.

As for the F1 cars on GT3...I've yet to go home and work on the cars to see what I come up with, but I will. I agree and know that the F686 has the most horsepower, but what are the weights of the F1 cars in the game?

Yeah sorry, I meant for heavier cars.

As for the F1 cars, they are all 540kg's because they don't take into account the weight of the driver, fluids, etc... it really should be 600kg's as is mandated by the FIA (the governing body of Formula One) so all the cars weigh the same, but of course, as in real life, the newer the car the better it will handle, ala the F094/S. But yeah the F686/M has the most power and torque

973hp @ 12,000rpm and 590ft.lbs @ 10,500rpm from a Turbocharged 1.5L Honda engine

Top Speed (non drafting) = 243.3mph (386.4km/h)

So it is the best F1 car for ovals, especially Super Speedway, WOW.

I'm at work so I can't mess with the cars...

But have you tried using the set ups mentioned earlier...ie reducing the downforce etc....on the 094/S and or H??

I would love to see what kind of top end you can get out of them.

You're racing now right? Give it a shot on all the F1's and post it for us!

(I'm at work dang it...it's gettin' in the way of my racing! lol)

:lol:

Well I tried those things for the F686/M, but didn't bother with the others, but hey, I got nothing to do right now all my friends are still asleep cuz I'm the only one who had an exam this morning :P

Gimme an hour for a full report. :)

I'm very curious to see what you find...I'm having a hard time believing that the older F1 cars are better than the new ones with the technology changes the sport...I know speed isn't always what makes better track/lap times...but you'd think they'd improve upon both the speed and handling of the cars.

(I know I know...top end doesn't matter much in F1) lol

The post that got my attention earlier is where I think 12secCivic said he mimiced the set up of his 094 on the 686 and got the same handling characteristic...this would seem to me to be a flaw in the design or maybe limitations of a game...since the cars aerodynamics are VERY differet...the weight of a 10 cylinder engine vs. a 6 cylinder engine are VERY different...so the settings in REAL life shouldn't make the cars perform the same!

:irked:

Can't wait to see what you find though! :D

Well actually I don't know if you're referring to me or not, but I said the newer cars handle BETTER than the older, HOWEVER, the F686/M just has a higher top speed with it's 144hp advantage over the F094/S, but on a road course, the opposite is true, the newer cars are much faster than the turbo cars.

Anyway, back to testing :D

He said it in the string "FYI: The Real Identity of the F1's"

He said:

"I just made the F687/S handle like the F094/S by mimicking its suspension setup on the F687/S! I can hardly tell them apart. I also mimicked the F094/S' Suspension settings for my RX-7 LM and it handles like a dream, I think the secret is the rear toe angle of -3.0"

:)

Originally posted by jdhnc13
Too funny AO...

You do know that the F1's all weigh 1,190lbs right?

Back