Torque Physics (Turbo, VVTi, Vtec)

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 95 comments
South Africa
Johannesburg
Tayeedz1
My mate and I were talking car jargon the other day and the topic of GT6 came up. What he said actually blew my mind.

Torque Physics. How is torque recorded into the game's vehicle physics?

Now when I speak of torque physics, I'll put it into perspective. Simply put it's the slam you get in your seat when your turbo reaches boost, Vtec kicks in and or an LS1 motor vs 4AGE.

At the moment I can't really tell that much when a turbo spools or when I've felt Vtec kick, even the feeling of how Twin Turbos feel.

To prove what I'm saying, I performed a real life comparison of a Factory GT6 Blob Eye WRX STI vs a Factory Real Life Blob Eye STI with bad Zambian fuel (Don't ask why about the fuel).

With the Real Life STI I felt and knew when the turbo spooled and when the turbo lagged with the RPM involved (Sound also plays an important role here as well *wink wink)

In the Gran Turismo 6 STI, I couldn't really feel when the turbo spool or lag happened. Same goes for Vtec. Even when I slapped on turbos of different ranges I couldn't really tell the difference.

Is there anyway that this aspect can be improved upon? Maybe even working with companies like Borg Warner Turbochargers or Garrett to determine the behaviour of turbos and Honda on Vtec transition?

Basically, since the game cannot simulate G forces in the seat there is no wonder you can't feel it.

The second part of your question regarding sound is quite legitimate and there is a heap of criticism of the game already about how bad the sounds are.

GT1 had HORRIBLE turbo lag. It was taken out for a reason,
It was an important factor to consider though, like, you CAN put a massive spec 4 turbo on and have 900+ horsepower, but you'll have some lag there, so you might be better off with more balanced tuning for racing - its a trade off, and part of the game.
It showed the point of having twin turbos aswell.

Now its just: buy upgrade, more power, win race even more easily, buy more upgrades just for the hell of it.

Doesn't the 97T have turbo lag or is that just my imagination?

Now that you mention it , it actually does

EDIT: After having another quick go, I'd have to say it's there but it isn't as pronounced

Last edited:
If this is worked on and more pronounced, not only will it add to realism but also to the game's difficulty. When you hit boost, Vtec or what have you, throttle and steering control must be monitored carefully. Also, it will give more meaning to heel and toe for wheel users so there is more of a point to keep the car within its powerband. This in turn can affect times for time trials, more of a challenge some of you may want?

When I drove a Subaru once, I was told to be careful with the throttle within corners (It was when I just got my license ok...) and not to hit boost otherwise I'll spin out.

I know there's no G-Forces in my seat but by sound and the way the car's power characteristics change in transition (Like RPM surging to the redline and sudden speed increase) can be worked on in terms of Torque Physics

Anyone here ever driven the Option Stream Z? Turbo-lags like a muther.

Admittedly, it isn't very pronounced on other cars, but things like the Stream Z prove they can do it.

Anyone here ever driven the Option Stream Z? Turbo-lags like a muther.

Admittedly, it isn't very pronounced on other cars, but things like the Stream Z prove they can do it.

Since I've got a stupid amount of money to spend (In GT that is), I shall try this just now after my study session.

Check how the cars behaves once their turbos spool.

In this video you can hear the induction noise build up and intensify as well as the sudden speed increase. That's when you know that the turbo is spooling.

This also clarifies what I just mentioned

I think also if we have the ability to adjust boost pressures and the latter then it can be more pronounced.

While this isn't an incredible race affecting feature, it does contribute to that immersion thing. Well, except in blatant examples like the 97T turbo lag, which is pretty dramatic.

And PD has been criticized by a few here for the V-Tec modeling, as it seems to be pretty much missing from all the Hondas that have it. Most of us drive an S2000 at least once, and V-TEC is a big part of its performance. Same with the NSX.

While this isn't an incredible race affecting feature, it does contribute to that immersion thing. Well, except in blatant examples like the 97T turbo lag, which is pretty dramatic.

And PD has been criticized by a few here for the V-Tec modeling, as it seems to be pretty much missing from all the Hondas that have it. Most of us drive an S2000 at least once, and V-TEC is a big part of its performance. Same with the NSX.

Dramatic is what I like :dopey: but not Shift dramatic. Trust me , it will make all the difference

More videos to note. Yes I'm a Subaru fanboy, so I know these cars well :D

Pretty sure you guys can hear and see how the car behaves once the turbo spools

I remember Martin Brundle talking about the 80's F1 cars and the Turbo Lag. He was talking about how scary they were to drive the first time because you would put your foot down and there was nothing then suddenly you'd launch off at an alarming rate. PD has actually done a pretty good job of capturing this. I was not expecting it at all the first time I took the 97T out for a lap.

I had an Acura 1.6 EL which came stock with the D16Y8 SOHC w/ VTEC and as soon as it hit about 5500 RPM it would kick you up to full power and it was a very noticeable transition. I haven't seen this in GT ever. I'm not sure if it's just the fact that you can't feel g-force in a racing game or if it's just not modeled.

How often are you staring at the speedometer when you are aiming for a corner... ;)

Kind of hard to tell when there is no sound and no G's pulling you. ;)

@TRLWNC7396 maybe it is just the lack of realistic engine sounds. Next time I get a chance to sit down and fire up GT6 I will take a stock Civic Type-R to that giant oval track and see if I can produce a VTEC experience from a standing start.

Let's take a game like Forza 5. It has decent sounds and even has the Vtec transition noise but even they lack a form of Torque Physics. Maybe GT can be the first to perfect it.

I did up a Mk4 Supra yesterday and while there was some noticible turbo lag with a high rpm turbo, the modelling of the physics didn't seem about right. I've been In a similar Supra in real life and I'd have to say that it the game is a load different. However, what I said before still stands, and that is the 97T is stepping stone for improvement. The turbo behaviour on tha
that....

I remember on an episode of Best Motoring where the Blob eye Spec C Impreza was being developed on Nurburgring and one of the presenters got to have a go in the prototype. He noticed that if he stretched his gears out to the redline then he'll lose torque and decided to change gears about 2500rpm before the redline where the turbo just loses puff. That actually affected his time a load and this is what I wanna see in GT. I'll try search for the video after I study.

Last edited:
Back