Toyota Doesn't Want Its Cars in Games With 'Illegal Street Racing'

@mustafur I don't really understand how your statement is a response to mine?

As I say I would assume that the person running Toyota UK's twitter account doesn't know the actual reason the cars aren't in the game but knows that they have a "don't promote illegal street racing" PR policy and that NFS is an illegal street racing themed game.

My guess would be that given the fact that Toyotas seem to primarily only be appearing in Japanese games that it's a communication thing. Perhaps someone in Japan signed a contract where something got lost in translation and now Toyota management are wary of signing contracts with foreign publishers and developers
I wasn't aiming it at you. Just Explaining how Toyota's reason is BS and you don't need to justify why they would say that because it makes no sense since they do Have their cars on Illegal Street Racing Games.

Last edited:
Hmm. Maybe this is why GTS doesn't have any "street"(re: Tokyo R246, NYC, Honk Kong, Seoul, Rome, Madrid, Londonetc.). Highways, high speed roads and freeways are different to low speed streets.

Hmm. Maybe this is why GTS doesn't have any "street"(re: Tokyo R246, NYC, Honk Kong, Seoul, Rome, Madrid, Londonetc.). Highways, high speed roads and freeways are different to low speed streets.
Bathurst is Low Speed Streets.

Hope that's not the case because I love thoes tracks and wish they can return... As well as Seattle Circuit.

The big difference is that in Porsche case it's both parties that instigate such.

In Toyota case it's far more solely on the Toyota side.
Agree. Toyota could spare itself this unhappy situation, I recognize that it is quite sad. But seeing EA's irony when it comes to licensing when they were among the first to do rubbish and make 20-year agreements, they should just shut up or think about FIFA and its collectible children's cards.

Why can't Toyota just say they signed an exclusive deal with PD? I mean it's kind of obvious that's what they did. Instead they've been giving "we don't want to spoil the experience for potential car buyers" and "we don't want to be in games with illegal street racing". It's weird.

As Kyle pointed out in the article, there have been Toyota products in recent games from Japanese devs that depict street racing. It's a red herring, just like Turn 10 blaming GM for censoring Chevy and Holden SS models (as well as other companies cars with side-by-side S's in their model names) when, in actual fact, they're literally the only dev that does it...

source.gif

Took a gander at NFS subreddit.

My god the cringe.

I get that not having Toyota in games sucks, but get over it. If Toyota wants to be like this let them. I doubt it will cut into their sales. And if it does, well then only Toyota can blame themselves for it.

why you put Fast 9 image on article? it action movie not illegal street raing theme film anymore :lol:
Why can't Toyota just say they signed an exclusive deal with PD? I mean it's kind of obvious that's what they did.
well I think you more better say have more exclusive deal with PD and Sega, I mean they Prius and LC500 on their arcade game too. Oh well it have ties with SGT instead Toyota
Screenshot_19.png

Screenshot_20.png

Going by the evidence Toyota must only want to promote Japanese companies since they still have cars on Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune and the latest one came out after GT Sport and that is purely street racing.
It feels wrong, but I think there’s some nationalism at play here if the only companies getting their road cars are Japanese developers who feature track AND street racing in the combined games.

Personally I'd rather get an answer from Toyota Japan than from Toyota UK honestly to really know what is going on with the licensing.

Toyota UK just made them look bad after that tweet.

Then again its what the public going to believe now.

Perhaps the license is managed by the Japanese headquarters.
Toyota cars are also included in games like Japanese street racing.(Wangan Mid Night,Initial D)
Their reaction is stupid from a Japanese perspective!!!
Many protests have occurred in Japan.

Perhaps the license is managed by the Japanese headquarters.
Toyota cars are also included in games like Japanese street racing.(Wangan Mid Night,Initial D)
Their reaction is stupid from a Japanese perspective!!!
Many protests have occurred in Japan.
oh wow really? now that interesting.

If Toyota don't want their cars associated with illegal street racing I think that's entirely fair. If I was running PR at a major car manufacturer I would have similar reservations.
the problem with this is street racing started way before video games came along so i dont think there is any connection between street racing and video games .

Is this the whole "video games cause violence" argument again? Sounds like toyota doesn't want to be affiliated with "illegal behavior" or a game promoting it.

If I play NFS, am I at risk to suddenly street race illegally?

If I play GTA V, am I at risk to suddenly start illegal gang businesses and kill people?

If I play Ark Survival Evolved, am I suddenly at risk to knocking out and taming dinosaurs?!

Tbh its honestly confusing in the past games ive seen Toyota it makes me a potential consumer to want to buy a Toyota also Toyota is missing out big time with need for speed heat and horizon 4. A racing game is supposed to be fun and have a wonderful variety of cars. Especially a legendary Toyota.

And its not only Toyota, Lexus has to suffer as well not being in Racing games because of Toyota's dumb moves i say someone make a workaround like how other games did with Porsche using ruf as a backup

If I play Ark Survival Evolved, am I suddenly at risk to knocking out and taming dinosaurs?!

*John Hammond of Jurrasic Park wants to know your location*

Tbh its honestly confusing in the past games ive seen Toyota it makes me a potential consumer to want to buy a Toyota also Toyota is missing out big time with need for speed heat and horizon 4. A racing game is supposed to be fun and have a wonderful variety of cars. Especially a legendary Toyota.

And its not only Toyota, Lexus has to suffer as well not being in Racing games because of Toyota's dumb moves i say someone make a workaround like how other games did with Porsche using ruf as a backup

Here's the thing, in the US alone, Toyota sells more vehicles than every other brand except Ford. I don't think it's hurting for sales. In 2019 alone it's already sold 1.2 million units in the US and that's down 6% from last year.

Back