Toyota Gazoo Racing Set to Debut GR Super Sport Concept in Tokyo

:lol: I would hope not.

I mean what enthusiasm? My reaction and my posting about this aren't enthusiasm. I just see the difference in the comparison you made and seem to base your worry off of, Supra/FT-1 and this are apples and oranges. There is nothing, literally nothing that stands in the way of all promises so far given or wanted by Toyota in make this car from a technical aspect. My question to you is why you'd think a watered down car would be created? Outside the FT-1 comparison that is.
My view is based on their past concepts. I'm not comparing outside of those past concepts. Even if Toyota people are on board to get it done, I feel it may still be watered down. Not like I was saying Toyota won't build it. Which my initial post was responding to.

Outside of the concepts, I do use, as Scuderia Paul put it, "being brave" is what Toyota will have to be. Toyota gave us the GT-One and LFA.
Gazoo made a concept turbo FT-86, a car that should have been mass produced. There was no reason not to, at least, offer the turbo. Meanwhile, the Vitz gets a supercharger. My feelings for it being watered down, even if it's low volume.

My view is based on their past concepts. I'm not comparing outside of those past concepts. Even if Toyota people are on board to get it done, I feel it may still be watered down. Not like I was saying Toyota won't build it. Which my initial post was responding to.

Okay, see I compared it to all their other high end concepts that were then turned into production cars such as the LFA and LC. And those virtually came away unchanged. Even the other LF cars for the most part were kept like they were said to. So with this being a deviation from the norm of Toyota, and making a car that is at the highest end possible from them, I see it being like the Lexus branded concepts and being little to no change.

Outside of the concepts, I do use, as Scuderia Paul put it, "being brave" is what Toyota will have to be. Toyota gave us the GT-One and LFA.
Gazoo made a concept turbo FT-86, a car that should have been mass produced. There was no reason not to, at least, offer the turbo. Meanwhile, the Vitz gets a supercharger. My feelings for it being watered down, even if it's low volume.

Toyota have always been big on supercharging post 90s/80s. Why that is I have no idea, but it is their thing. To me it's not a watered down thing, but perhaps keeping it for another car. It'd be strange to sell the up coming Supra and have a car in the stable that can challenge it like the FT-86. Those logistics to me though aren't anything close to the ballpark of this car.

And I think sadly people don't give Toyota a group that ran in F1, multiple times in Sport cars, WRC and on and on, much excitement other than "a boring point A to B car company". I think the LF series of cars has been a test bed of sorts that has finally led to this car being a viable production car of everything Toyota can offer in a hyper car. No one saw them doing a Super car through Lexus or a GT sport car but they've done it, why not a hyper car?

But we will see what comes of it, the fact that the chassis on display has different running gear of sorts than the Concept that it is suppose to be, shows me this is something that is still being evaluated. And they want to see who is interested.

Last edited:
Toyota reveals vision for next generation sportscars

By incorporating hybridtechnology from the Toyota TS050 Hybrid racecar that competes in the World Endurance Championship (WEC), the GR Super Sport Concept signals the Japanese car-maker's intention to develop sportscars from racecars, according to Toyota Gazoo Racing president Shigeki Tomoyama.

“Rather than developing production cars into sportscars, we aim to work out how to incorporate the know-how developed through races and rallies into production cars,” he said.

“Although it will be some time before you all have the opportunity to get behind the wheel, I hope that the GR Super Sport Concept will give you a taste of what we aim to achieve with our next-generation sportscars.”

As such, through the combination of a highly efficient electric-vehicle (EV) system and a lean-burn engine, the show car is able to offer the type of optimum powerand environmental performance expected in future models.

The first of these next-generation sportscars to feature hybrid power could be the long-rumoured Supra that is currently being co-developed alongside BMW’s Z4 successor.

Therefore, Toyota’s continued participation in the WEC shapes up as an important undertaking, allowing the company to hone its hybrid and EV powertrains ahead of production.

Just reading from the video DatNoiseV12 posted and the link above, reads as if they will put similar tech in future cars, but not actually make the GRSS.

Yet he says it will be a while before 'you're able to drive it' and that the car has already tested at Fuji according to the wec team's twitter. Why test a car or say you will have to wait to drive it if it's only going to be a straight concept car? Why even show off the underpinnings and the bare carbon chassis and engine/hybrid system? They could have just made a clay model and said look at this. It's an actual working car it appears. Even looking at the high-res pictures, the car looks like it's been in use from the dirt on the tires and the diffusers.

Yet he says it will be a while before 'you're able to drive it' and that the car has already tested at Fuji according to the wec team's twitter. Why test a car or say you will have to wait to drive it if it's only going to be a straight concept car? Why even show off the underpinnings and the bare carbon chassis and engine/hybrid system? They could have just made a clay model and said look at this. It's an actual working car it appears. Even looking at the high-res pictures, the car looks like it's been in use from the dirt on the tires and the diffusers.
I'll be clear, 'not actually making the GRSS to sell'. His quote of “Although it will be some time before you all have the opportunity to get behind the wheel, I hope that the GR Super Sport Concept will give you a taste of what we aim to achieve with our next-generation sportscars.” That's cool that they are testing the car. Who is the "you all"? Journalists? Or people that buy the next-generation sportscars?

P
I'll be clear, 'not actually making the GRSS to sell'. His quote of “Although it will be some time before you all have the opportunity to get behind the wheel, I hope that the GR Super Sport Concept will give you a taste of what we aim to achieve with our next-generation sportscars.” That's cool that they are testing the car. Who is the "you all"? Journalists? Or people that buy the next-generation sportscars?
Probably buyers.

Because it's early days, and as I said what they tested was probably more streetable version of the TS050 rather than a production or almost production ready GR Super Sport. What we saw was mainly a TS050 and were told this, that's quite different from the other upcoming hyper cars. The concept they showed is not a functioning car, and I don't see said dirt in the hi-res pictures.

My opinion is both. I'm not in any position to buy this car, but I can assure you, just like with the LFA, there are people who are and want to. If Toyota wins Le Mans this year, that desire will definitely go up. Everyone in that position to purchase sees a car that is based off of something that wins a big race or championship with more value or worth. Like the Mercedes Project 1, that has the f1 engine in it. The engine that has won 4 straight F1 wcc's and wdc's. That's a piece of history. If Toyota does win LM and/or the WEC title, it makes this car even more desirable. And it may just be the basis of their new lmp1 in the near future. Even better!

All cars sell, regardless of cost. People said the LFA was ridiculously overpriced, but it has since doubled in value.

The rich will merely buy these sort of cars to show off.

Like the Mercedes Project 1, that has the f1 engine in it. The engine that has won 4 straight F1 wcc's and wdc's. That's a piece of history.
That's why people are going to buy the Merc?

All cars sell, regardless of cost. People said the LFA was ridiculously overpriced, but it has since doubled in value.

The rich will merely buy these sort of cars to show off.

Problem is the LFA sold but cost Toyota, and some dealers held cars just for the value to climb and make more money. I'd say this car will be vastly different because Toyota would likely take a list of interested buyers, and then use a local dealer as a means of delivery. Also I would imagine that GR dealers would be directly owned and controlled by Toyota ltd. I don't fully know for sure and @McLaren tends to have a better knowledge of the inner working of high end car sales.
That's why people are going to buy the Merc?

It's a potential reason, I'd think. Not for all those that buy them, but for some. Just like another reason is the car was directly tested and evaluated through development by a 4 time WDC. Or simply being a Mercedes could be another.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I suspect there are more people who have actually decided to buy the Merc (not who simply want one) than there will be cars available for purchase, and I'm positive that none of them have taken the engine's race-winning history into account when coming to that decision. It may make it desirable to enthusiasts, but enthusiasts aren't buying them.

I'm conflicted. I think they will build it, but watered down like they did the FT86 & FT-1.
With a car of this magnitude and Akio's passion for racing cars, it won't.
I think that's the point; it may or may not.

It's clear the end game is to have this car (or something like it) out on the market at some point. But, given the way the LFA's development was handled, Akio will more than likely want this done right the first time. And given his personality, he'll be with it every step of the way. As for what was shown, it's to build confidence that the brand has an actual interest.
Problem is the LFA sold but cost Toyota, and some dealers held cars just for the value to climb and make more money. I'd say this car will be vastly different because Toyota would likely take a list of interested buyers, and then use a local dealer as a means of delivery. Also I would imagine that GR dealers would be directly owned and controlled by Toyota ltd. I don't fully know for sure and @McLaren tends to have a better knowledge of the inner working of high end car sales.
Yeah, the LFA has become a "Hindsight is 20/20" car. The only time people thought their values could go up was early on after release, and then they didn't. The car didn't suffer hard on the used market, but by then, that's where most thought their values would stay. It's only in the last year their values have finally made a come back, but dealers are still wary of buying pre-owned ones to flip.

As for this car coupled with what I mentioned about the LFA development, I'm in full agreement with you. I think Toyota will approach this car properly; hypercar values have changed dramatically since the LFA's time when the Veyron was king of the price tag wars. Now, every one in this high end market has thrown in a 7-figure car at some point. The only thing working against Toyota is Toyota, but if the car pans out, they can still ask an insane amount of money (given it'll be a street-legal race car) that will still likely undermine the Mercedes, Aston, & McLaren's $2-3 million+ price tags.

This looks great and if it's a sign of things to come in lm racing that'd be even better .

On a slightly more cynical note , wasn't it Toyota that said they wanted to step away from motorsports a few months ago ? (Or is that just the fog of old age)

I’m a bit late on this subject. And wow, while the front end looks a bit odd, the side of the car looks very nice, AND THE REAR END, OH MY KAZ!!!

And speaking about Kaz, I wonder if he and his team have already scanned the car...

I am revisiting (reviving?) this thread with some footage of a prototype that ran at Fuji. Funny thing is that the video is from January! Just have a look at the car and the video, I like where this is headed. And with the news that the new hypercar lmp1's can have a road going version its looking more like the car will be made for sale.

What a smart move by Toyota, to ghost itself via Gazoo Racing. :) The brand was still cool with TRD years ago, but GR, to me, feels closer to AMG, M Power and NISMO, than the label TRD. Looking forward to more of their products.

Looks absolutely spectacular. Did you notice the current dash set-up appears to be the TS050 steering wheel, minus the grips, placed in a frame to hold it?

Looks absolutely spectacular. Did you notice the current dash set-up appears to be the TS050 steering wheel, minus the grips, placed in a frame to hold it?

Hence why I watched it again, because it didn't occurred to me at first that that was a steering wheel.

I dunno man... it doesnt look like a road car turned racecar, but the other way round... which I dunno, doesnt quite look right.

I'd love to see a comparison between this and the TS020 Road Car.

Was just thing this when looking at in action. Very TS020-esque in it's profile; which is certainly now bad thing. Will be interesting to see how it turns out in full race trim.

And ditto here, had to have another watch of the video before I even noticed that it's dashboard is a TS050 wheel :lol:. Nifty idea.

Haven't seen this posted, it's been a few months since we've heard anything on this car, but Japanese magazine Best Car has some interesting rumors and info on the now so-called GR Hypersport (instead of Super Sport) along with some new renders of the car- https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/85418 They mention the initial allotment is sold out, however many that is, and that the price is 200-300 million yen which is $1.8-$2.8 million :eek:

20190826_GR_07b.jpg

20190826_GR_08b.jpg

Back