Toyota Gazoo Racing Set to Debut GR Super Sport Concept in Tokyo

You know you're in a nascent boom period when all of the marques come out with the new heat.

Famine
Anyone want to Photoshop it red, with a white triangle on the front?
I mean, I can give it a shot. Just not with Photoshop.
unknown.png

Last edited:
You know you're in a nascent boom period when all of the marques come out with the new heat.
Indeed. Valkyrie, Project One, FXXK Evo, Apollo IE and now this. The only one missing is the new "R" Horacio Pagani hinted at during an interview and the 'track beasts' club will look better than ever.

It is very nice. It turned out to look a lot better than I thought it would based on the teasers. There's too much 'windshield' imo, but other than that I can't fault it. If this is the look of their future lmp1, I think it'll be a boost to the WEC/LM for the top class and attract others to join in.

It looks like the sort of car you'd expect to have seen in the Burnout game franchise.

Also, hexagonal cluster headlights (if they are indeed headlights.) If so, I'm guessing the light will either bleed through the panels, or they draw back within the arches like eyelids to reveal the light.

draw back within the arches like eyelids to reveal the light
You actually push each panel in to release a spring-tension catch, allowing the panel to pop out just far enough for you to slip a finger in and flip the panel back. You have to do this 8 times, so it's not exactly efficient, and the panels generate significant drag in their upright position, but I'm given to understand the click of the catch releasing is really, really satisfying.

I love it! It is great to see something this extreme from Toyota. We have seen the Mercedes-AMG Project One with it's F1 powertrain and now my favourite, LMP1, makes it to a car. Pity Toyota will never build it.

Toyota better produce this thing.
Not a hope Toyota will produce it in my opinion. They could make 25 at €3m and sell them no problem. As much as I love Toyota I don't see them as being brave enough to build it.

I love it! It is great to see something this extreme from Toyota. We have seen the Mercedes-AMG Project One with it's F1 powertrain and now my favourite, LMP1, makes it to a car. Pity Toyota will never build it.

Not a hope Toyota will produce it in my opinion. They could make 25 at €3m and sell them no problem. As much as I love Toyota I don't see them as being brave enough to build it.
I'm conflicted. I think they will build it, but watered down like they did the FT86 & FT-1.

I'm conflicted. I think they will build it, but watered down like they did the FT86 & FT-1.

I don't, it will be a low production high priced Halo car like the few others coming out. No reason to water down a one of a kind car. And basically the newest road going LMP1 street car. And considering the last road going LM cars were not LMP1 mostly. That's something special.

I will note though, if you look close enough, the Concept and the driving chassis are different. Tires on the concept are street tires, the chassis has full racing "show" slicks. The brakes on the Chassis are CFR, the concept is steel rotors. The exhaust layout is different as well. So it's interesting, and makes me think that the only reason the chassis is drivable is because it's a TS050 chassis that has been somewhat modified for this event and concept. To get people interested and say, "we could start production tomorrow".

Last edited:
I don't, it will be a low production high priced Halo car like the few others coming out. No reason to water down a one of a kind car. And basically the newest road going LMP1 street car. And considering the last road going LM cars were not LMP1 mostly. That's something special.

I will note though, if you look close enough, the Concept and the driving chassis are different. Tires are the concept are street tires, the chassis has full racing "show" slicks. The brakes on the Chassis are CFR, the concept is steel rotors. The exhaust layout is different as well. So it's interesting, and makes me think that the only reason the chassis is drivable is because it's a TS050 chassis that has been somewhat modified for this event and concept. To get people interested and say, "we could start production tomorrow".
Trust, I'd like to share that confidence. Fantastic if it does(here's the but), but 1000hp? Hey, maybe the GR brand does forge a new era for Toyota performance cars as promised.

Trust, I'd like to share that confidence. Fantastic if it does(here's the but), but 1000hp? Hey, maybe the GR brand does forge a new era for Toyota performance cars as promised.
What's so crazy about 1000 hp? Other brands are making hyper cars of this extent with that amount of power...

It's not like Toyota aren't capable, this is the equivalent of the AMG Project One, but instead of it being F1 derived, it's Le Mans derived.

What's so crazy about 1000 hp? Other brands are making hyper cars of this extent with that amount of power...

It's not like Toyota aren't capable, this is the equivalent of the AMG Project One, but instead of it being F1 derived, it's Le Mans derived.
That's why I added the part about GR doing it. I'm not against the project. More about are we going to see this car being delivered as the big thing it is or will it be watered down and not as raw.

Live. If someone would like to translate. :)

That's why I added the part about GR doing it. I'm not against the project. More about are we going to see this car being delivered as the big thing it is or will it be watered down and not as raw.

Live. If someone would like to translate. :)

I get that, you're missing my point. There is no reason to water it down, because that segment of the market allows for a car this over the top to exist and be a return and then some to the automaker. The Supra is different, it's hard to make an affordable sports car and have all the nice things the FT-1 was trying to offer.

I get that, you're missing my point. There is no reason to water it down, because that segment of the market allows for a car this over the top to exist and be a return and then some to the automaker. The Supra is different, it's hard to make an affordable sports car and have all the nice things the FT-1 was trying to offer.
I got your point. I'm just not sharing the enthusiasm at this point of the concept. Again, if it isn't watered down "Fantastic".

So not oiled bronze, then.

:lol: I would hope not.
I got your point. I'm just not sharing the enthusiasm at this point of the concept. Again, if it isn't watered down "Fantastic".

I mean what enthusiasm? My reaction and my posting about this aren't enthusiasm. I just see the difference in the comparison you made and seem to base your worry off of, Supra/FT-1 and this are apples and oranges. There is nothing, literally nothing that stands in the way of all promises so far given or wanted by Toyota in make this car from a technical aspect. My question to you is why you'd think a watered down car would be created? Outside the FT-1 comparison that is.

:lol:I would hope not.
:P

Seems unlikely. The color is what has me perplexed. I mean...not only am I unaware of any materials of that color that would be utilized in an ultra-high performance automotive application (not that that says a whole lot--this sort of thing doesn't really float my boat), but those two components don't require the same properties from a material. Could be I'm reading too much into the color, but why would it be so different from everything else if it didn't have to be?

:P

Seems unlikely. The color is what has me perplexed. I mean...not only am I unaware of any materials of that color that would be utilized in an ultra-high performance automotive application (not that that says a whole lot--this sort of thing doesn't really float my boat), but those two components don't require the same properties from a material. Could be I'm reading too much into the color, but why would it be so different from everything else if it didn't have to be?

If I remember correctly each axel has a KERS unit, so that could have something to do with it.

Latest Posts

Back