Toyota Has a New Rolls-Royce Competitor With Updated Century

Hi tornado .
When you say 'horrid holes' do you mean the crappy fueling that we have to put up with these days .
So much for progress.
Most modern engines I've driven over the last few years seam to have a curve drawn by a guy on a pogo stick .

Pssst! No-one seems to have noticed but:

376 + 221hp isn't 425hp but 597hp :boggled:

Still. Decent car imo. I've never been much aware of the luxury old-school sedans japan has but i've always thought they were cool sleepers.

I'm honestly not sure, but that's what the Toyota press release says so I'm going with it. I suspect @MatskiMonk is correct though.

When I look at Toyota's line up, I'd forego importing a Mark X for this. Add the Slopra and my Garage would be cool.

When I look at Toyota's line up, I'd forego importing a Mark X for this. Add the Slopra and my Garage would be cool.
The New Crown has it for me, it's like a JDM Mercedes CLS.

The Japanese seem to be less pretentious on car brands, selling high end Luxury cars from a commoners brand.

The New Crown has it for me, it's like a JDM Mercedes CLS.

The Japanese seem to be less pretentious on car brands, selling high end Luxury cars from a commoners brand.
Speaking of the Crown. I'm seeing these all over Newcastle.
images

Speaking of the Crown. I'm seeing these all over Newcastle.
images
The Athlete wagons have a good timeless look to them and look better proportioned then the Stagea but I don't understand why Toyota put a 1J in this and a 2J in the Aristo which is based on the same car.

I don't understand what this post is about, but I still want one

This is beautiful... the GRMN Century was originally created as a one-off to Akio Toyoda (president and CEO of Toyota) and this one will be used as a support for the Hakone Ekiden, a big relay race held by Japanese universities.

Toyota is developing an SUV version of the Century, will debut later in the year, could be based on Highlander platform.

The report goes on to say the luxury SUV will be built at the company’s Tahara plant, which traditionally builds Lexus vehicles. The publication added the model will be positioned above the Land Cruiser and is “expected to be in at least the mid-10 million yen range.” 15,000,000 yen is the equivalent of $113,085 and the model will reportedly be aimed at “wealthy people overseas” as well as government officials.

Last edited:
If it's being built at the Tahara plant, I would imagine it will be built on the 4Runner/Lexus GX/Prado platform or the new TNGA-F platform that underpins the Land Cruiser and Sequoia. Or it'll be the debut of whatever the new platform is that the new 4Runner, Tacoma and presumable Prado will be built on.

If it's being built at the Tahara plant, I would imagine it will be built on the 4Runner/Lexus GX/Prado platform or the new TNGA-F platform that underpins the Land Cruiser and Sequoia. Or it'll be the debut of whatever the new platform is that the new 4Runner, Tacoma and presumable Prado will be built on.
I would assume the brand new LC and Sequoia platform. Also I don’t believe the current American 4Runner is actually on the GX/Prado chassis. Pretty sure the GX and Prado have been their own weird international thing the entire time which is why their proportion as are completely different.

Anyways, those renders are excellent and look so much better than the Cullinan. The interior needs to be spruced up a bit though.

Last edited:
I would assume the brand new LC and Sequoia platform. Also I don’t believe the current American 4Runner is actually on the GX/Prado chassis. Pretty sure the GX and Prado have been their own weird international thing the entire time which is why their proportion as are completely different.

Anyways, those renders are excellent and look so much better than the Cullinan. The interior needs to be spruced up a bit though.
It's complicated, and depending on who you ask, you'll get different answers. Some Prado enthusiasts will say their vehicles are unique, while others will say they share some things with the Lexus GX. Looking at the development history the Prado was first, and the GX, 4Runner, and FJ were all adapted from it. You likely couldn't pull a 4Runner body off its frame and have it mate right up to a Prado's frame, but at their heart, they're still either a J120 or a J150.

This guy explains it a bit better: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/gene...120-j150-platform-better-body-mount-chop.html

Toyota will almost certainly use a variant of the TNGA-F platform with the new crop of mid-sized body on frame trucks and SUVs since it can be altered pretty easily. The new Tacoma is supposed to be unveiled this summer and we'll know then what direction they're going.

There's a version of the Century SUV with sliding doors!!

1694020891201.png

1694020925640.png

1694020934204.png

1694020945326.png

Simply known as the Century, the new luxobarge is Japan's Rolls-Royce Cullinan and might end up being even more exclusive since the sales projection is of only 30 units per month. It's far more luxurious than any Toyota/Lexus SUV before it but it's also the most expensive. It costs 25,000,000 JPY, which works out to approximately $170,000.

The boxy SUV with split horizontal lights à la Genesis is imposingly large, measuring 197.8 inches (5205 millimeters) long, 78.3 in (1990 mm) wide, and 1805 mm (71 in) tall. It's shorter but wider than the Century sedan and only seats four instead of five. It boasts a generous wheelbase of 116.1 in (2950 mm) and tips the scales at a hefty 5,665 pounds (2,570 kilograms).

To me it looks like they took a Cullinan and put Genesis lights on it

1694021047190.png

They also teased a convertible version

Last edited:
First Mercedes and now Toyota. Don’t these designers check to see who were the last to wear certain design/headlight/taillight cues?
Remind me of the GMC Yukon. Especially that red one.

First Mercedes and now Toyota. Don’t these designers check to see who were the last to wear certain design/headlight/taillight cues?
Remind me of the GMC Yukon. Especially that red one.
The difference between Merc and this car is that this car is literally designed in a vaccuum for a vaccuum. It won't exist outside of Japan so it only needs to be recognizable (and subdued) in Japan.

Back