Toyota Has a New Rolls-Royce Competitor With Updated Century

Wool?!? It's like they sought out anything hotter than leather they could think of.

Who like cars like that ?
Me! Me! I have a soft spot for luxury cars and THIS is the pinnacle of japanese luxury. It may look extremely conservative, but that's what the buyers want: exquisite craftsmanship, tons of comfort and silence and the most serene ride available. And it was the only V12 roadcar from Toyota. But this is past now, since this new generation adopted the V8 hybrid powertrain.

To understand why the japanese government and businessmen love it so much in Japan, here's a video showing the production process of this car:

And this one from Regular Car Reviews shows one in New Zealand.

I wish I could get the 1/18 scale model of it made by Kyosho last year...

Isn't the Century still the only Japanese car produced with a V12 engine? I immediately thought of the Century when I saw the "Toyota Has a New Rolls-Royce Competitor..." before hovering over the full thread title. I wonder what this new Century will look and perform like...

Do a quick test for science. Wear a wool blazer out in the sun. Then wear a leather one. Let us know which one you prefer. ;)

(And that's ignoring the obvious fashion faux pas that is a leather blazer.)
Exactly. Plus, in luxury cars, aren't fabrics reserved for the comfort of passengers and leather for the driver's compartment? I know that's how coach interiors were appointed(funnily enough, I think I saw that on Dream Car Garage--Pat GOSS?). Though I don't know why or when hides took over.

Wow, looks like some generic car made for GTA.

Wow, looks like a generic comment on the release of most if not any car released now days, especially on the high end side of the market.

That thing is straight out of a cheesy 80s action movie,the villain has 3 of those and they all explode in the end.

When I saw it, I thought more of the early to mid 90s Lexus than anything related to Toyota currently, as well as the looks of mid to late 80s Cadillacs. It does look like a retro dive into the 80s, and something a mob villain would be driven around in.

That thing is straight out of a cheesy 80s action movie,the villain has 3 of those and they all explode in the end.
Oddly whenever I think of generic 80s villain cars I think of the Maserati from Licence to Kill, which isn't all that generic at all:
upload_2018-6-24_6-12-8.png

Wow, looks like a generic comment on the release of most if not any car released now days, especially on the high end side of the market.
That's what happens when all great designers retire and folks from devianart are working on these cars.

That's what happens when all great designers retire and folks from devianart are working on these cars.

I'd be surprised if anyone from devianart had design input on this, maybe you're confusing the home of fan-fic anime art, fetishes and web comics with car design. Not sure why but hey man you do you.

Maybe this car deliberately styled to be generic, conservative and anonymous isn't the best hill to die on to defend modern car styling from "Looks like something from GTA" comments.

This is pretty much the state of modern car design really. Even with something as conservative and relatively anonymous as a Century gets labelled as a GTA car.

Regardless of whether that's fair, the car in question is designed to look like a Japanese taxicab from the 80s. Japanese executives and heads of state will be chauffeured in them and no one else will ever buy them, theoretical "Rolls-Royce competitor" or not. Suggesting it looks like a generic car from a GTA game is a compliment to its designers, because that was the entire point. To blend in, to not make a scene, to have presence but not be shouty about it.

It's like defending motorcycle styling in 2018 because of responses to a press release about the Morgan 3 Wheeler.

Last edited:
I think people underestimate the GTA car designs,most of them are weird but there are some decent designs that with some polishing could be acceptable in real life
Actually, I'd have to agree on the basis that, while I'm not exactly certain why, GTA, especially in the HD-era games in IV and V, seems to accentuate the importance of their cars where they're even given specific brands and badging, even if a fair amount of the designs are a mishmash instead of a specific bootleg even if the GP1 is an exception, but even with badging, GTA cars are more memorable and stand out more than, say, the cars in BeamNG Drive, but I'm still not sure what the secret ingredient for that is.
Also, funny you mention the real life part.

As for the Century itself, I find that it's quite a good design, and considering the edges that modern-day Acuras and such have, and the mess of Maybach designs pre-combining-with-Mercedes, the Century looks even better by comparison.

Actually, I'd have to agree on the basis that, while I'm not exactly certain why, GTA, especially in the HD-era games in IV and V, seems to accentuate the importance of their cars where they're even given specific brands and badging, even if a fair amount of the designs are a mishmash instead of a specific bootleg even if the GP1 is an exception, but even with badging, GTA cars are more memorable and stand out more than, say, the cars in BeamNG Drive, but I'm still not sure what the secret ingredient for that is.

The fictional brands and badges are part of the worldbuilding and for the reason the GTA cars are more memorable than Beam it's because usually GTA cars are based on a real car,with the HD GTA games some of their models started to look really close to real life cars.

The Jester is clearly inspired by the NSX.
latest

Back