Toyota Has a New Rolls-Royce Competitor With Updated Century

"Looks like a GTA car" is a disservice to the Century imo. Lets just remember this car has been out since 1967, which predates GTA by a good few decades ;) More like "that GTA car looks like the Toyota Century".

Isn't the Century still the only Japanese car produced with a V12 engine? I immediately thought of the Century when I saw the "Toyota Has a New Rolls-Royce Competitor..." before hovering over the full thread title. I wonder what this new Century will look and perform like...

The V8 replaced the V12 unfortunately, and this V8 powertrain is actually recycled from the last gen LS600hL.

The fictional brands and badges are part of the worldbuilding and for the reason the GTA cars are more memorable than Beam it's because usually GTA cars are based on a real car,with the HD GTA games some of their models started to look really close to real life cars.
And BeamNG's aren't?
262205-BeamNG.drive.x64-2017-10-21-22-27-27-283.jpg

69773.jpg

Wool?!? It's like they sought out anything hotter than leather they could think of.
Actually, wool is a better material than leather for the reason opposing what seem to think.

Wool is an insulated material, hence its use for clothing popular in the winter months, but not only is it good at keeping the cold out, it's also very good at not getting overly warm in the sun.
By comparison, leather - whilst a stylish material useful for jackets and shoes - is awful in the heat. It absorbs heat like nobody's business, and people who have cars with leather seats practically obligate themselves to getting a sunshade for their windscreen, so that their backsides don't get burned.

Essentially, wool is a better material for seats, and is a lot more luxurious...hence why this car that only executives will buy is intended to be a Rolls-Royce competitor.

The GTA comment is rather baffling considering the idea behind Rockstar's cars is to take real world Car A & mix it with real world Car B with some creative differences only for the sole purpose of giving the game a real world feel. I'm sure someone at Rockstar would take this, mix with it with another similar real world car and call it the next gen. Glendale.

The comments the Century is getting makes me want one so much more. It's so anonymous that most people wouldn't look twice at it, but it has enough purpose and poise that it still manages to really annoy people who don't quite understand it.

The comments the Century is getting makes me want one so much more. It's so anonymous that most people wouldn't look twice at it, but it has enough purpose and poise that it still manages to really annoy people who don't quite understand it.

This is why I love it, too. It looks so understated compared to some of the glitzier high end cars you see these days (just look at the sickly interior of the Cullinan) and it manages to be luxurious without screaming about it.

Last edited:
Maybe this car deliberately styled to be generic, conservative and anonymous just like all of its predecessors isn't the best hill to die on to defend modern car styling from "Looks like something from GTA" comments.
I mean, its pretty easy to shoot them from up here.

It kinda screams eastern culture to me, as opposed to western culture. Emphasis on humility and purpose, emphasis on human hours of crafting instead of machined perfection. Uniqueness rather than rarity.

Me! Me! I have a soft spot for luxury cars and THIS is the pinnacle of japanese luxury. It may look extremely conservative, but that's what the buyers want: exquisite craftsmanship, tons of comfort and silence and the most serene ride available. And it was the only V12 roadcar from Toyota. But this is past now, since this new generation adopted the V8 hybrid powertrain.

To understand why the japanese government and businessmen love it so much in Japan, here's a video showing the production process of this car:

And this one from Regular Car Reviews shows one in New Zealand.

I wish I could get the 1/18 scale model of it made by Kyosho last year...

Würg

The only news about Toyota that would interest me the most is they coming back to other racing games than GT Sport.

A hotted-up Century by GRMN makes as much sense as an S65 AMG turned into a Black Series. Credit to GRMN for actually doing it though.

Pssst! No-one seems to have noticed but:

One thing the Century lacks is real performance though. Sure, it has a 5.0-liter V8 putting out 376hp and 376lbft of torque under the bonnet. There’s also a hybrid system good for an additional 221hp and 221lbft, which combines for around 425 ponies.

376 + 221hp isn't 425hp but 597hp :boggled:

Still. Decent car imo. I've never been much aware of the luxury old-school sedans japan has but i've always thought they were cool sleepers.

376 + 221hp isn't 425hp but 597hp :boggled:
But would it reduce the output that much though? :odd:
A naturally aspirated engine (when it doesn't have horrid holes in its power delivery for emissions reasons) generally looks like this:
ice-torque-and-power-curve-1.png

Whereas an electric motor looks like this:
main-qimg-4d419e1ddaddb505a283ed5400d733f5

The Lexus' V8 makes it's power fairly high (higher than that chart goes), after the electric motor's production has already fallen off of a cliff; so the only thing that is added to the peak output of the V8 is the 50 or so horsepower the motor still has when spinning that fast.

Last edited:
Back