Toyota's New Supra To Make Its Racing Debut Next Year... in NASCAR

Well, stranger things have happened.

images

That's not a Supra! That's 5/8ths of a Camry with part of the hood and part of the front fenders from a videogame rendering of a Supra. I'm not sure whom to be more mad at, NASCAR for having dreadfully outdated aerodynamic/appearance standards, or Toyota for A; Picking the LEAST appropriate car for the job or B: Trying so hard to appeal to the "Buy American/'ewwww furrrin' cars!" crowd that they lost sight of what sells to whom.

Reading through this thread, I'm surprised by how new the NASCAR concept seems to a lot of folks. It's been this way for the past 3 or 4 decades already. The car models stickered on the cars are no more than advertisements. They could slap Yaris headlight stickers and badges on it if they wanted to. Wouldn't change a thing.

Reading through this thread, I'm surprised by how new the NASCAR concept seems to a lot of folks. It's been this way for the past 3 or 4 decades already. The car models stickered on the cars are no more than advertisements. They could slap Yaris headlight stickers and badges on it if they wanted to. Wouldn't change a thing.
Most of us are fully aware of what NASCAR has been for the last 30 years, and most of us think it’s pretty rediculous, but we just haven’t kept yammering on about it for the last 3 decades.

This, however, is taking it one step too far on the rediculousness scale.

Life hint...always assume that people know more than you think they do, don’t assume people are ignorant just because of a few forum posts.

Sorry. Not trying to throw any punches here. Just saw a few comments that had me feeling like I was on youtube all of a sudden. That "OMG what even is this" "i'm dying" sort of comment. Just an over-generilaztion on my part from a couple posts. My bad.:cheers:

And I think all of NASCAR is ridiculous. This is no more lame than any before it.

I honestly like it, as weird as it looks like.
Chevy switched to the Camaro, and now Toyota for the Supra. Is cool to see that they're actually going for performance cars rather than family sedans, now Ford just have to put the Mustang in there too.

That's not a Supra! That's 5/8ths of a Camry with part of the hood and part of the front fenders from a videogame rendering of a Supra.

More like a Camry with a supra mask on

But seriously, why the supra, I could see the 86 or a Lexus RCF used to replace the xfinity Camry
But the supra?! That’s like making a Cadillac Escalade touring car or a Nissan 370Z rallycross car!

Actually, I think those are in the crew 2

On the other hand, imagine a m&ms kyle Busch supra, or a purple fedex Denny Hamlin supra

Can you?

Yep, Neither can I

Last edited:
More like a Camry with a supra mask on

But seriously, why the supra, I could see the 86 or a Lexus RCF used to replace the xfinity Camry
But the supra?! That’s like making a Cadillac Escalade touring car or a Nissan 370Z rallycross car!

Actually, I think those are in the crew 2

On the other hand, imagine a m&ms kyle Busch supra, or a purple fedex Denny Hamlin supra

Can you?

Yep, Neither can I
Admittedly, a Nissan 370Z rallycross car sounds awesome and not actually out of character to an extent

So this is a standard NASCAR with some Supra painted on it?

What do you mean by standard NASCAR?

The Supra portion isn't painted it's an actual body design to look like the car it is derived from that is the idea of the gen 6 CoT which the article lacks to mention. The front clip is really the only part of the car that has to conform to this as the rest of the car is regulated by NASCAR to be in certain parameters.

Why does NASCAR need to continue to attempt to make their cars resemble road cars? Why couldn’t it just be Chevy vs Ford vs Toyota vs whoever....brand vs brand, instead of model vs model? I get that the road cars are a part of nascars history, but I don’t see why they must continue as part of the future.

I wonder if anyone's already reproduced this livery in GT Sport for the Supra Gazoo Racing Concept?

And specifically, instead of using the stylized number in the photos, using one of the "generic" racing number stickers so one can use it in official races without it overlapping the design?

Seems like a good portion of the comments here are about how it looks. You should know that NASCAR mandates quite a bit and all the cars regardless of manufacturer have to share the same roofline and most overall dimensions. So per the rules they can’t make it look like an exact copy of the actual car. They are basically spec cars with different hoods and noses. The Camry in the Xfinity series hadn’t been updated since 2015. I’m willing to bet Toyota did their research and wouldn’t have switched to the Supra unless they found a pretty big aerodynamic advantage using the Supra nose over the Camry. I like change and think it looks ok all in all considering the constraints NASCAR designers have to deal with. They could make a car more like the actual car but NASCAR wouldn’t allow it.

I wonder if anyone's already reproduced this livery in GT Sport for the Supra Gazoo Racing Concept?

And specifically, instead of using the stylized number in the photos, using one of the "generic" racing number stickers so one can use it in official races without it overlapping the design?
I posted a request for it in the livery/svg decal request thread

Why so? I guess it's also a joke that the Mustang and Camaro are there too?
Kind if but I have not got Nascar for a long time. I have tried several times to get back into it but I just can not. The changes that they have made seem to be a reach or overreaction. The spinning people out just kills me, it seem like a video game. I get the rubbing but if I was a fan of someone who was spun I would be so angry. People here love it though so I guess it works for them.

Latest Posts

Back