Toyota's New Supra To Make Its Racing Debut Next Year... in NASCAR

1. The Toyota Supra racing in a NASCAR was the last thing I would have expected, but it is cool.
2. Is it going to replace the Camry model in NASCAR?
3. IMO The car with a NASCAR body looks like an American land yacht like this Cadillac from the 70's:
01e5edc653b9a67469ecfafaccede035.jpg

So, the way I see it is that the Toyota Supra (in either homogenised or silhouette form) will not actually be racing in NASCAR. What will be racing is a totally different car with a livery and/or branding that is advertising the Supra.

Am I right?

So, the way I see it is that the Toyota Supra (in either homogenised or silhouette form) will not actually be racing in NASCAR. What will be racing is a totally different car with a livery and/or branding that is advertising the Supra.

Am I right?
That is basically how NASCAR works as they share nothing with the road going versions apart from some styling ques.
As the old saying goes, "whoever wins at the track on Sunday wins at the dealerships on Monday".

Its a short short oval as their calendar is mainly road courses.
oh ok! I really want to go to Indy or Daytona. The cool thing with oval racing is that you see the whole track as a spectator. Road courses in Europe you only see 1 corner most of the time!

I hope Ford uses the GT as it’s platform, and then Chevy uses the Corvette.

It would be awesome to see Ford GT vs Chevy Corvette vs Toyota Supra on some of America’s best circuits.....wait....what if Toyota entered a Supra in IMSA???

This is the stupidest car related thing I’ve ever seen. Seriously, wtf.

First Toyota wins Le Mans with a Supra, now they’re going to do NASCAR with it? With their Supra already in WRC, it’s clear the Supra is the most versatile car in the world.

There's a good chance is will show up in IMSA soon. The race car is designed to GTE specs right with WEC in mind right? Only a matter of time before it shows up in IMSA then.

I hope Ford uses the GT as it’s platform, and then Chevy uses the Corvette.

It would be awesome to see Ford GT vs Chevy Corvette vs Toyota Supra on some of America’s best circuits.....wait....what if Toyota entered a Supra in IMSA???

This is the stupidest car related thing I’ve ever seen. Seriously, wtf.

First Toyota wins Le Mans with a Supra, now they’re going to do NASCAR with it? With their Supra already in WRC, it’s clear the Supra is the most versatile car in the world.

Reading this made my brain hurt.

There's a good chance is will show up in IMSA soon. The race car is designed to GTE specs right with WEC in mind right? Only a matter of time before it shows up in IMSA then.
I expect a Supra to show up in WEC at some point, but I don’t think there’s any guarantee that Toyota will pony up the doe to field a factory effort in IMSA’s GTLM class. As far as I know, Toyota haven’t shown any interest in the DPi regs, and with them putting a “Supra” in NASCAR, I don’t see any kind of return on investment for Toyota to make the GTLM effort. Not saying it couldn’t happen....but with Toyota putting a Supra in NASCAR, I don’t see the point in fielding a GTLM effort. The only reason I can think of for a company like Toyota to do that would be to go after Daytona and Sebring class wins, but they already have those trophies from years ago.

Also I think you kind of missed the point of my joke :P

As a general point....really, what is the point of this? To bring more American awareness to the Supra name? I suppose....but for people born after 1985, unless they literally live under a rock in the backwoods of Alabama....everyone knows what a Supra is.

Paul Walker’s orange ‘97 Supra RZ (complete with overnight parts from Japan) - name me another Hollywood movie/TV car that’s more well known or iconic? You’d have to go back to another orange beaut, the General Lee. The only one that could come close from recent movies is Bumblebee.

Supras are one of the most popular street racing cars in Texas, where the game is highway rolls. 1200hp “street legal” drag supras are iconic in Texas.

What car game since the early 2000s hasn’t had a Supra of some sort in it???

Again, I really can’t figure out the point this exercise.

In the simplest way I can think of, race cars are supposed to be sporty, and having a Camry as your race car doesn't sound sporty. Names and recognition are very important. Having it be a Supra instead of a Camry because it's a sportier car could be all it's about.

In the simplest way I can think of, race cars are supposed to be sporty, and having a Camry as your race car doesn't sound sporty. Names and recognition are very important. Having it be a Supra instead of a Camry because it's a sportier car could be all it's about.
I see the point, but tell that to the Subaru Lavorge in BTCC....or one of the most iconic BTCC cars of all time, the Volvo Estates.

What’s the best car in Super GT....easy, a Toyota Prius (the Honda CRZ was on point too!).

I always seem to be in the minority on these things. I think it looks great.

I expect a Supra to show up in WEC at some point, but I don’t think there’s any guarantee that Toyota will pony up the doe to field a factory effort in IMSA’s GTLM class. As far as I know, Toyota haven’t shown any interest in the DPi regs, and with them putting a “Supra” in NASCAR, I don’t see any kind of return on investment for Toyota to make the GTLM effort. Not saying it couldn’t happen....but with Toyota putting a Supra in NASCAR, I don’t see the point in fielding a GTLM effort. The only reason I can think of for a company like Toyota to do that would be to go after Daytona and Sebring class wins, but they already have those trophies from years ago.

Also I think you kind of missed the point of my joke :P

As a general point....really, what is the point of this? To bring more American awareness to the Supra name? I suppose....but for people born after 1985, unless they literally live under a rock in the backwoods of Alabama....everyone knows what a Supra is.

Paul Walker’s orange ‘97 Supra RZ (complete with overnight parts from Japan) - name me another Hollywood movie/TV car that’s more well known or iconic? You’d have to go back to another orange beaut, the General Lee. The only one that could come close from recent movies is Bumblebee.

Supras are one of the most popular street racing cars in Texas, where the game is highway rolls. 1200hp “street legal” drag supras are iconic in Texas.

What car game since the early 2000s hasn’t had a Supra of some sort in it???

Again, I really can’t figure out the point this exercise.
James Bonds DB5 comes to mind.

I always seem to be in the minority on these things. I think it looks great.
I think Ford F-150s look great too....doesn’t mean I can go around calling it a Mustang though.

James Bonds DB5 comes to mind.
New, new cars!! The DB5 is older than the General Lee. Might as well say the car from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too :lol:

NASCAR's purpose *was* to promote more mainstream cars, specifically "personal luxury" coupes in the 70s and 80s (Monte Carlo, Thunderbird). When those died in the 90s, they promoted sedans (Lumina, Taurus) instead, without really changing the body styles of course. Now that family sedans are dying out, it's either actual sports cars which still sell with enthusiasts, or NASCAR crossover SUVs. :P

Back