Track accuracy....

• Thread starter CoolColJ
  • 20 comments
CoolColJ, GTP_CoolColJ
Seems to be pretty bad

Just compare Suzuka to GT5:Prologue's version :yuck:
F1 2010's version seems to be rather flat, and the curves and width seems to be totally off

<< -- Codemasters forum is that way ...

Have you compared it to the REAL F1 Suzuka track... It's very well done and almost perfectly identical... So next time stay away from F1 V GT5P ... and Youtube a lap of Suzuka instead.

I find the undulation of Montreal a little odd. Suzuka is good, probably one of the best circuits in the game.

Well Prologue's version is closer to the real thing IMO
The curbs in particular, the track elevations, and general flow of the curves
When I first tried F1 2010's version the curbs just felt too flat.

[YOUTUBEHD]CH8JHz60mR8[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]fZydIKMsgx0[/YOUTUBEHD]

Last edited:
Degner 2 is just flat in F1 2010. Real life its a banked corner, like a bowl effect.

clipboard02gs.jpg

clipboard03sg.jpg

Most games fail with details like this. Laser scanning please.

I could model a track quite well from photos and a walk-a-round the track but time after time the people involved in these games show they're incapable and laser scanning should be done these days. Maybe its a time thing but they're so far removed from simple contours I find it disappointing. I don't expect every little crease to be there.

Last edited:
Degner 2 is just flat in F1 2010. Real life its a banked corner, like a bowl effect.

clipboard02gs.jpg

clipboard03sg.jpg

Most games fail with details like this. Laser scanning please.

I could model a track quite well from photos and a walk-a-round the track but time after time the people involved in these games show they're incapable and laser scanning should be done these days. Maybe its a time thing but they're so far removed from simple contours I find it disappointing. I don't expect every little crease to be there.

The track data for F1 2010 was outsourced by Codies. I can't remember the exact method the company they used worked with, but pretty sure it wasn't some blokes using cameras.

The track data for F1 2010 was outsourced by Codies. I can't remember the exact method the company they used worked with, but pretty sure it wasn't some blokes using cameras.

I like how you say "some blokes using cameras" lol. Why even post?

If it's not laser scanned then its CAD data and thousands of photos. Just like Gran Turismo and many other games. Please check the videos of Codemasters interviews They were even asked about laser scanning and said photos, going to the track, talking to drivers is just as good but it never is. The basic model is way off.

So yes its people taking photos no matter if they outsource or not, if its not scanned then its the old method of getting the simple outline from data and referencing many photos which people have to press buttons on their cameras to create these, and walking the track. Trying to belittle it as some blokes taking photos? Thats how its done mainly. And please don't dress it up with GPS data.

You don't have to reply to every criticism of F1 2010 just because you have some vested interest.

Plus I was talking about games in general. Whatever Codemasters did (they said photos just like 99% of games) its not working. It can be done from photos and observation though.

Last edited:
Vested interest? :lol: Codies are a competitor of ours that I have some respect for, I'll defend any dev (particularly British devs) which is receiving undeserved criticism, especially with so much control of the IP from FOM and I don't think many people realise just how much control we're talking about.

You're right, I have been replying to a lot of stuff (maybe too much), mostly because people are giving unfair criticisms, making wild assumptions and just being generally ignorant.

Yeah, I got it wrong on the photo thing, though I did say "pretty sure" as I couldn't be arsed to look it up any further, only recalling a conversation with Andy Gray in the summer and I couldn't remember quite what he said about how they did it. Nor was it an attempt at belittling it, but well done for missing the tongue in cheek. I was merely attempting to add to the topic, thinking that perhaps people might be interested that Codies don't collect their own track data.

Yeah, I find these tracks don't even compare to my real-world experiences on them. All rubbish.
Now where are the keys to my McLaren?
In all seriousness, I've spent a fair bit of time on the Monaco course in real life, and when I first played it on F1 2010, I giggled out loud at the realism.
-CK

Last edited:
The Suzuka track blew my mind when I watched the practice for real on TV in the way I watched how the shift timing was almost the exact thing that I was throwing down, the lap times were almost exactly as those that I was able to bust w/ no help from any assist and as close to what they are using that the game will allow you to experience. When I watched the T-cam footage it blew my mind and I thought I was watching me driving on the track... IMO...LEFTY......

Forgot to mention that in addition to being very familiar with the Monaco streets, I currently live in Singapore and have ridden my bicycle all over the course while it was being setup (barriers, etc) and can attest to it's crazy amazing accuracy as well.
-Christopher

The final corner at Monaco seems to be a bit funny. I've never been there! But the outside of that corner seems unusually banked.

The final corner at Monaco seems to be a bit funny. I've never been there! But the outside of that corner seems unusually banked.

It is a little bit exaggerated, but it's actually more accurate overall than F1:CE i've noticed. The tunnel is just weird though and definitely wrong, it's no where near as banked in real life and it even looks as if they haven't finished it or something. I've noticed the game does tend to exaggerate bumps in general - witness the apparent cobblestone road you have to traverse over on the exit of chapel at Silverstone or the exit of turn 3 at Hockenheim. They seemed like pretty over the top simulations of the bumps on these parts of the track.

It is a little bit exaggerated, but it's actually more accurate overall than F1:CE i've noticed. The tunnel is just weird though and definitely wrong, it's no where near as banked in real life and it even looks as if they haven't finished it or something. I've noticed the game does tend to exaggerate bumps in general - witness the apparent cobblestone road you have to traverse over on the exit of chapel at Silverstone or the exit of turn 3 at Hockenheim. They seemed like pretty over the top simulations of the bumps on these parts of the track.

I have just raced at monaco and see what you mean about the tunnel, and that you can hardley get round the harpin. However it really feels allive and exciting unlike fuji or HSR in GT5P, Monaco in F12010 feels allive and you really get the atmosphere when you drive it of the history of the curcuit and how it feels special, unlike in f1ce where it was far to wide and lacked the character we see in it in f12010.

Yeah, compared to multiple previous racing games, in which I've raced Monaco, Suzuka, and Istanbul, I find the F1 2010 renderings to be "watered down" representations. I think the steering is great, with the G27, setting the wheel deadzone to 0% - very direct on center feel, although the wheel doesn't provide much back-to-center force. I still enjoy the game, but the tracks have taken some getting used to. The AI is still not fast enough in Legend mode - I'd say about the same as setting the AI to max on F1CE.

I can't say for every track this is true, but I think that Codemasters did a decent job, not a fantastic job. I can replicate Webber's gearing on the track almost identically, but since I've never driven these tracks, I can't say that the detail that iRacing or Gran Turismo put into collecting data is matched.

I think this is a reflection of the game overall though. I think it's their first Formula 1 game, so to assume that is was going to be the best F1 game seems a bit misguided. I have confidence that this is a good start for this Game in the long run. They could have produced total rubbish, you know?

I just race Suzuka for the first time in F1 2010 and I am amazed at the differences from the GT5 Prologue version. The F1 rendering has so many more undulations it's crazy! Really affects your sight lines, I likey!
The final right hander onto the finishing straight has a particular bump that really unweights the car and requires a judicious application of power right when your leg is begging to smash it.
Wow this is a fun game (now that I got through Marina Bay).
CK

How does the track in Korea compare to the one in F1 2010? I'm not sure it's anywhere close to the one depicted in the Red Bull video.
:D

Back