Trail Throttle Oversteer is missing???

• Thread starter gmoney1
  • 36 comments
It's been answered by Glubags. Twice.

Im afraid it hasn't been answered. After trying it just now I can confirm that the demo's physics engine does not support T.T.O. In real life you can't correct from T.T.O. with just steering input. Throttle must be applied to correct the oversteer. For this is not true in the game. In the interest of full disclosure I have only played the demo with a controller (my DFP is broken, and the G27 is in the mail), so MAYBE I am able to correct from T.T.O. without throttle input b/c I am able to move the steering from lock to lock so quickly (using the stick). If others are definitively experiencing this, then my guess is that they are using a wheel, and going from lock to lock in fractions of a second is not physically possible like it is when using a controller. So can others confirm this that they use a wheel? Again an easy way to experience T.T.O. is to imagine you’re on a slalom cone course on one of the straights. Weave thru the course at a high enough speed as to be on the edge of tire grip with a constant throttle. Then to induce T.T.O., lift off the throttle while continuing to weave thru your imaginary slalom course. With the controller you are able to correct with just steering input.

I'm using a wheel, and it's definitely there.

And how can you possibly say lift-off oversteer cannot be corrected with steering input alone? I've encountered it in real life in my real car twice in situations where getting back on the throttle would only further aggravate the slide (once on wet pavement, the other a late reaction to the rear breaking loose). In fact, my only option was to countersteer with no further pedal input to allow the car to come back to me. Any oversteer, if caught soon enough, is correctable with steering input alone provided you aren't driving on a terribly slick surface.

I'm using a wheel as well and I have very little problem getting the back end out by lifting off on some corners. It's definitely there, I know with a pad you cannot turn the traction control off, so I wonder if either the way traction control has been implemented in the game isn't right complared to real life TC or if there is a level of ASM in place as well. Then again, it's not unheard of for there to be additional hidden driving aids for gamers using a pad to make it easier to use rather then it almost demanding a wheel to be played. It could be any of thoes things, I haven't played it with a pad so I can't say if gmoney is right or wrong with his comments, but I do know that lift off oversteer is there because it happens to me in the demo.

how can you possibly say lift-off oversteer cannot be corrected with steering input alone?
I say that lift off over steer can't be corrected with steering input alone b/c in almost all circumstances it can't. This is not my law of physics, its Gods, so you might have to take it up with him. There are some extreme exceptions; car setup, track conditions, track camber angle, driver ability, where T.T.O. can be corrected with out throttle input. But think about it, how is it possible to transfer weight back over the rear wheels without throttle??? When you say you encountered this and corrected without throttle I asure you were not experincing T.T.O. or you only were experiencing a minimal amount.

You can correct it with steering, but you have to 'steer' out of it (not countersteer like a normal powerover) which means you will drive away from your current driving line, for more rapid lift off oversteer this will become more difficult. If you're on a slalom or a tight course at the time you most likely not even make the next turn this way and even if you're on a larger track you will lose a lot of time anyway. Easiest and fastest way by a long shot is to just apply some throttle.

Just like the snap oversteer the tuned 370Z gets on turn-in (more obvious with trail in braking) in the GT5 TT, if you left footbrake with a slight amount of throttle while trailing in it will stop the snap oversteer from occuring alltogether.

A technique the fast guys are using on turn 1 with the stock 370Z is braking a little later, dropping down to 2nd gear turning in late and while in second gear and the revs are high it causes the rear to come around (3rd gear wont do it), ease on some throttle to cancel it when you're happy with your direction of travel, shift into 3rd and power through almost flat through turn 2 and 3.

gmoney i too have already stated that i have noticed this in the demo, actually after reading your initial post i double checked. I took the standard car out, went into a corner with the accelerator on and too much speed and let go of the accelerator while mid turn. And what do you know? The car oversteered. And it will do it every time.

Back