Trailing Throttle Oversteer

I've worked in the motor industry for most of my adult life, parts and service within dealerships, then as a trainer (writing, running and managing project launch and driver training) for manufacturers and I now work as a training manager for a company that supplies systems software and consultancy to both manufacturers and dealerships. I've also grown up in a petrolhead family, so its been both a job and an obsession for the best part of my 45 years on the planet.

I would quite agree that PCars doesn't get things right (again no sim does) and lift off oversteer is very moderate for the vast majority of the cars (in particular the road cars and doubly so for the Yellowbird), with the race spec cars a fair bit can be done to reintroduce it if needed, but its still not perfect (again AC models this better).

My main point was not about PCars, but rather about reality and it seems we may have been on the same page in that regard, just talking at cross purposes.

ah cool. You clearly have far more experience than me in this issue so Ill take your word for it. And yes I agree with what you wrote and the fact that the cars have been tuned to eliminate the oversteer. Thanks also for informing me about the nature of oversteer and tuning with regards to it, I clearly didn't know as much about it as I thought I did. Also do you by any chance have you got any suspension settings that can result in Lift-off oversteer? If so could you post them please?

Or the formula Renault. It's there alright. So prevalent in fact that I would call it trailing throttle snap oversteer with some cars!

Driven both and not had any issues, the clio tends to oversteer if you throttle on too early or it is unbalanced, but not cause you lift off. At least not at the stock settings. And the clio handles as if it was on rails. Only issue I had with it was putting power down too early.

Driven both and not had any issues, the clio tends to oversteer if you throttle on too early or it is unbalanced, but not cause you lift off. At least not at the stock settings. And the clio handles as if it was on rails. Only issue I had with it was putting power down too early.

Um, the Clio is front wheel drive... Not sure how you're managing power oversteer?? It definitely suffers from lift off oversteer, not so bad when the tyres are warm, but it's on a knife edge on cold tyres.

I should note that I'm using a pad too, so it's difficult to be precise with braking and steering inputs. I think a lot of my issues would be solved with a wheel.

Um, the Clio is front wheel drive... Not sure how you're managing power oversteer?? It definitely suffers from lift off oversteer, not so bad when the tyres are warm, but it's on a knife edge on cold tyres.

I should note that I'm using a pad too, so it's difficult to be precise with braking and steering inputs. I think a lot of my issues would be solved with a wheel.

Yeah I think its more due to imprecise inputs than actually loft off oversteer. On the skid pad it handles exactly the same as most of the others under lift off, try it at the skid pad.

Latest Posts

Back