Votes: 207 49.5%
  • 3 (Male, Female and Intersex)

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • More than 3

Votes: 50 12.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 143 34.2%

• Total voters
Maybe. "Boys will be boys" is usually excusing toxic or overtly masculine behavior though. I'm not sure that someone who is wanting to become a transgender woman would have heard that excuse much. Nobody says "boys will be boys" when you don't want to play football. I was actually thinking more along the opposite lines, that the definition of masculine is more inherently compromised, more unhealthy, and more rigid - causing more of its members to be dissatisfied with it.

What I meant by my post, which I may not have described adequately, is that I think people born male grow up with a greater degree of autonomy than those born female, even if males are held to stricter standards of gender which i think you are right about. So I think it's a combination.

I can see what you are saying..."masculinity" is such a narrowly defined zone that falling outside of it is much easier than falling outside "femininity" because it seems to be much more broad. I remember females in high school having "phases" of dating other females and it not being considered too unusual where that would have been unquestionably unmasculine for males to do the same. The spectrum of male/masculinity is considerably narrower than female/femininity.

I guess what all of this means is that, and I think you are getting to the same thing, the female gender spectrum is far wider and so females have a lot more room for personal identity while remaining female. Females identifying as female can wear men's clothes, be into "man stuff", be "tom boys" etc. Whereas if a man were to wear any item of women's clothing, their masculinity would be immediately suspect.

I don't even know if its the idea of becoming dissatisfied with it, it's just that it's so much easier to fall out of it's bounds. I'd guess that the 2:1 difference is all in the middle zone - that is, the people who feel extremely strong about being the wrong gender probably switch at a closer to 1:1 ratio, but a higher proportion of males towards the middle of the spectrum switch, whereas the equivalent females don't feel it's necessary. I still think that people born male grow up with a greater degree of autonomy, in most cases, which I think is a contributing factor. But what do I know.

Last edited:
Whereas if a man were to wear any item of women's clothing, their masculinity would be immediately suspect.
What if the article is worn solely for comfort and isn't at all visible due to clothing worn over it, like, say...and this is an entirely random example...pink lace panties?

I'm asking for a friend, of course.

a) it wasn't the Soviet Union
b) all she did was throw a javelin
c) teachers' unions are not anti-kid and I'm not sure threatening them is a great way to garner votes in California

Just using this as a springboard, UKMikey, because it got me wondering. This isn't aimed at how you've opted to frame this, but at the convention surrounding it.

Is the bolded bit accurate? Not the accomplishment, but the pronoun. I have no problem referring to Caitlyn Jenner as such, or as a woman, but does one's gender identity apply retroactively?

Caitlyn Jenner made herself known as such just a few years ago, but Bruce Jenner competed in the 1976 Olympic games...right? She has a gold medal, but he won the gold medal...

...right? Or have I got that wrong? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this and I'm interested in others' perspective.

Last edited:
Just using this as a springboard, UKMikey, because it got me wondering. This isn't aimed at how you've opted to frame this, but at the convention surrounding it.

Is the bolded bit accurate? Not the accomplishment, but the pronoun. I have no problem referring to Caitlyn Jenner as such, or as a woman, but does one's gender identity apply retroactively?

Caitlyn Jenner made herself known as such just a few years ago, but Bruce Jenner competed in the 1976 Olympic games...right? She has a gold medal, but he won the gold medal...

...right? Or have I got that wrong? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this and I'm interested in others' perspective.
From my perspective if Wendy Carlos can be credited for Switched On Bach on Wikipedia and Lana and Lilly Wachowski for The Matrix then it would be denying Jenner's gender identity to call her "Bruce" for her previous athletic accomplishments.

If they were all gender dysphoric at the time of these achievements then assigning male pronouns simply because of the way they looked at the time seems like it'd be in the same ballpark as deadnaming to me. If that's how they felt inside then maybe it should be retroactive, just as we don't take Muhammad Ali's earliest fights away from him and award them to Cassius Clay.

Just "Mikey" is fine, by the way. The UK is just there to distinguish my generic username from other Mikeys.

Last edited:

From my perspective if Wendy Carlos can be credited for Switched On Bach on Wikipedia and Lana and Lilly Wachowski for The Matrix then it would be denying Jenner's gender identity to call her "Bruce" for her previous athletic accomplishments.

If they were all gender dysphoric at the time of these achievements then assigning male pronouns simply because of the way they looked at the time seems like it'd be in the same ballpark as deadnaming to me. If that's how they felt inside then maybe it should be retroactive, just as we don't take Muhammad Ali's earliest fights away from him and award them to Cassius Clay.

Just "Mikey" is fine, by the way. The UK is just there to distinguish my generic username from other Mikeys.
The records of the time show that Bruce Jenner won the gold medal for the decathlon event at the 1976 Summer Olympics - and that Walter Carlos won a Grammy for Switched-on-Bach, "The Wachowski Brothers" directed The Matrix, and Cassius Clay won the World Heavyweight Championship against Sonny Liston in 1964 to take his professional record to 20-0.

However it is now convention to include Clay's accomplishments in Muhammad Ali's record, the Wachowski Brothers' deeds in the Wachowskis' record, Walter Carlos's awards in with Wendy Carlos's achievements, and Bruce Jenner's Olympic gold as part of Caitlin Jenner's history. After all, the belt, the credit/awards, the Grammy, and the medal were given to those individuals, and that is who they are.

That means that Caitlin both has and won the gold medal.

It also means that Elliott Page could be the first person nominated for both a best actor and best actress Oscar if he, at some point, is nominated (there are no other likely candidates at this time), as Juno is in his body of work.

Last edited:

I have a transgender family member, and this one get tricky when you're thinking about them as a child. That little boy, who was a boy then, is now a woman. But the memory, from childhood, of someone who was one gender, is hard to rewrite with the new one. When you grew up having a brother, and your entire childhood is written in your mind including that identity, it's no small feat to try to turn it into something inconsistent with your memory. He wasn't a girl then.

So far, the way I've seen it treated in my family (and I know this is not the same as others), it's referred to as "back when she was a boy" or "back when she was my brother".

I think a girl I teach might be trans or otherwise have some sort of gender identity issue. She's about 8 and although it hasn't come up in one of my lessons yet, I've heard that she has taken to insisting on being called Ninko (her name with a masculine nickname suffix) instead of Ninka (her name with a feminine suffix) and wants to be referred to as a boy (on, meaning "he", instead of ona, meaning "she").

Slovak is a highly inflected language, both in grammatical gender with all objects inanimate or otherwise being masculine (e.g. days of the week, cups and oak trees are "male"), feminine (alcoholic spirits, bus stations, books and flags are "female") or neuter (town, beer and country names are "neutral") as well as people having specific names depending on whether they are physiologically male or female. If your family name is Nemeth, female members of the family will be Nemethova. This is even enshrined in law regarding official documentation like birth certificates; baby girls of foreigners born here even have to officially have a gendered surname like Hughesova, Parkinsonova, Burnsova or O'Reillyova.

The strictly linguistic element of trans has always fascinated me because despite the furore that does crop up in English, English is so lacking in grammatical gender compared to almost every other language. Honestly, it should be such a non-issue.

As for the girl I teach, I wouldn't dismiss it as being a fad or a phase but I would be slightly curious as to why she thinks what she thinks. She's not the happiest child anyway, always deeply worried about getting anything wrong and not having the most friends, but part of me looks at that as a bit of a chicken and egg situation; are you looking for something different because you don't fit in or do you not fit in because you're looking for something different? Of course, I'm no psychologist nor a sexologist so this is well beyond my capabilities.

I have actually tried to skirt around the issue by referring to her in the third-person by name rather than "She" whenever I can. It's difficult enough teaching children the pronouns of other languages and I don't want to confuse the rest of the classroom when they, at such a young age, have trouble remembering she = girl and he = boy at times anyway.

All I can say is that if she's a young girl facing a gender identity issue in Slovakia... good luck. You'll need it.

Last edited:
All I can say is that if she's a young girl facing a gender identity issue in Slovakia... good luck. You'll need it.

I've heard similar stories of non-binary people in other languages such as French or Spanish that primarily have binary grammatical gender. I'll admit I'm happy that English has the singular 'they'... makes things so much easier.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on the "battle against themselves"? What does this mean? Trying to conform to stereotypes and sexism? Why is that necessary?

I meant more on the mental health side, specifically with regards to gender dysphoria. I have days where I look in the mirror and I'm really happy with myself but other days I'll fall into a spiral of hating my own body and wishing things could change. Nothing external has changed between those 2 days occurring; it's all internal.

Being non-binary makes it almost impossible to push back on gender roles, because that category (since it's not defaulted to) requires adopting gender stereotypes. I'm male (because of my physiology). People would generally assume I'm male based on stereotypes. If you asked me why I don't identify as female, or why I'm not non-binary, I don't know that I could cite any reason that wasn't a stereotype or gender role (other than physiology). If I were to change my gender, I'd have to cite stereotypes.

In a world where we have gender stereotypes this is always going to be true and there's no avoiding it. I definitely see what you're saying and it's often a reason why non-binary identities are so difficult to accept for a lot of people. How can someone be agender when they're always going to fall into some form of gender stereotypes even if they don't specifically want to? If someone is gender-fluid and simply changes how they dress and present themselves then surely that's just someone rejecting gender norms rather than having to have a whole new identity? In some cases that is true. But for a lot of people solving the dysphoria and mental health issues requires adopting that identity entirely including pronouns and name changes. Unless we can somehow define what makes a man or a woman beyond gender norms the solutions to gender identity issues will always involve stereotypes to some extent.

In my ideal world we wouldn't have any gender stereotypes and we would all be free to wear, look, and act however we liked but with the current situation we're in with years of ingrained gender roles and stereotypes I think expecting people to abolish them entirely might be seen as unfair by those who are happy with things as they are.

So far, the way I've seen it treated in my family (and I know this is not the same as others), it's referred to as "back when she was a boy" or "back when she was my brother".

This is great if it works for your family and the person being referred to is happy with it but I'm going to say this for anyone reading this thread who may not be aware of it - Please don't do this when speaking to or about trans people unless you know they're fine with it, it can be very upsetting. Most trans people don't see their dead identity as (using MtF in this example) "when I was a man" they see it as "when I was a woman in the wrong body".

What if the article is worn solely for comfort and isn't at all visible due to clothing worn over it, like, say...and this is an entirely random example...pink lace panties?

I'm asking for a friend, of course.

Technically that's just a certain material in a specific shape and colour and yet it has so many implications to a lot of people. It's bizarre how we do that when you really think about it. However if you're wearing lace panties for comfort and you have testicles you're not doing it right :lol:

Last edited:
In my ideal world we wouldn't have any gender stereotypes and we would all be free to wear, look, and act however we liked but that isn't fair on those people (in the majority) who have no issues with stereotypical gender roles.
This line confuses me a bit because I don't see the stereotypes as being particularly helpful to the people who conform to them. Being able to wear, look, or act however sounds much more like universal fairness to me.

If you were pointing out that in the transition from a stereotypical society to a fair society there could be some burden on the majority because they would have to abandon the stereotypes they know and live by, that doesn't sound unreasonable to me at all. Keeping hurtful stereotypes just so some people don't have to confront reality seems like a terrible idea.

This line confuses me a bit because I don't see the stereotypes as being particularly helpful to the people who conform to them. Being able to wear, look, or act however sounds much more like universal fairness to me.

If you were pointing out that in the transition from a stereotypical society to a fair society there could be some burden on the majority because they would have to abandon the stereotypes they know and live by, that doesn't sound unreasonable to me at all. Keeping hurtful stereotypes just so some people don't have to confront reality seems like a terrible idea.

I didn't really word that bit of my reply very well; what I meant was that in an ideal world we would never have had gender stereotypes at all but I think trying to abolish them entirely in the modern world, with the current stereotypes being ingrained over many years, might come across as being unfair on those who are happy with their assigned gender at birth. The first sentence of your 2nd paragraph words it much more succinctly than I did.

Last edited:
First of all, @Moglet, I really appreciate you engaging in this conversation, and you tend to do so without assuming malice, which is probably not easy for you and is much appreciated.

I meant more on the mental health side, specifically with regards to gender dysphoria. I have days where I look in the mirror and I'm really happy with myself but other days I'll fall into a spiral of hating my own body and wishing things could change. Nothing external has changed between those 2 days occurring; it's all internal.

So this is two issues which are, at least in theory, separable. One is how you feel about your body, which honestly every single person on earth can relate to to an extent. The other is how others treat you, and again, ever single person on earth can relate to that, to an extent, as well. How you feel about your body is not inherently tied into gender unless it's a stereotype within your own mind. Your body just is what it is. In some ways you can change it to match what you want, and again, everyone does this to an extent, and in some ways perhaps you cant - also universally identifiable. But unless you have a notion of what genitalia matches with what personality traits or behavior (a stereotype), gender (as we've been using the term for a while in this thread) is not something that has to come into play when reckoning with your body.

The other battle is the battle against how society treats you. I see gender as something which is being used to coerce society into thinking and treating along preferred lines, but any kind of abuse, incorrect assumptions, or unfair treatment can be pushed back on with or without changing gender from whatever one conventionally uses. So, for example, if someone is agender, but is running into a lot of pressure and confusion from society, one can change gender to one which matches better with the behavior they'd like to see from others, or one can push for fair treatment without changing to either the male or female gender.

As another personal example, sometimes I don't conform to typical male stereotypes, and in fact, sometimes I rail against those stereotypes. I admit that it's easy for me to do this, because I fit a lot of the stereotypical, especially superficial, male description. I mean I have a beard for starters. For the most part, I don't want to be treated as agender or female (edit: actually, maybe agender would be preferable). So I don't have this issue of having an obviously square peg trying to fit a round hole when there's a relatively square hole that would work just about perfectly. That being said, I don't fit perfectly into the male archetype. I'm not sure anyone does. But I don't internalize this, I externalize it. The problem is not with me, it's with the male archetype.

In a world where we have gender stereotypes this is always going to be true and there's no avoiding it. I definitely see what you're saying and it's often a reason why non-binary identities are so difficult to accept for a lot of people. How can someone be agender when they're always going to fall into some form of gender stereotypes even if they don't specifically want to? If someone is gender-fluid and simply changes how they dress and present themselves then surely that's just someone rejecting gender norms rather than having to have a whole new identity? In some cases that is true. But for a lot of people solving the dysphoria and mental health issues requires adopting that identity entirely including pronouns and name changes. Unless we can somehow define what makes a man or a woman beyond gender norms the solutions to gender identity issues will always involve stereotypes to some extent.

Personally I would rather do away with gender and just use sex. This is what we try to do with skin color. We don't permit "oh you have [insert skin color], therefore I will assume [insert trait] about you". That's called racism, or at a minimum, profiling. Why do we permit "oh you have [insert genitalia], therefore I assume [insert trait] about you"? That's sexism, or at a minimum, profiling. And while profiling is impossible to avoid, it can and should be dropped fast in favor of new information.

...and to bring it back to Demi for a second, this is why I wish changing to non-binary was not necessary. Because I'd rather push on what traits and behavior is encompassed by "woman" than further define "woman" rigidly by excluding members.

In my ideal world we wouldn't have any gender stereotypes and we would all be free to wear, look, and act however we liked but with the current situation we're in with years of ingrained gender roles and stereotypes I think expecting people to abolish them entirely might be seen as unfair by those who are happy with things as they are.

No less fair than forcing those gender roles or stereotypes on people. In fact, I think expanding people's perceptions of the variations of humanity is a worthy goal.

This is great if it works for your family and the person being referred to is happy with it but I'm going to say this for anyone reading this thread who may not be aware of it - Please don't do this when speaking to or about trans people unless you know they're fine with it, it can be very upsetting. Most trans people don't see their dead identity as (using MtF in this example) "when I was a man" they see it as "when I was a woman in the wrong body".

I guess I don't see the difference. "when I was a man" vs "when I was a woman in the wrong body"... same thing. For someone who grew up with a transgender sibling, it is part of their identity to have had a childhood that included a brother (for example), even if that brother is now a woman. "But I didn't grow up with a sister, I grew up with a brother"*. Even if it was a traumatic childhood for the transgender person, it did still happen. There are many traumatic experiences one can face, but generally it is not mentally healthy or well-adjusted to avoid them or pretend they did not occur. Some delicacy is certainly appropriate around any traumatic situation, but I don't think it's fair in this case to deny the event. That's asking a great deal of all of the (hopefully) loved-ones involved, and I'm dubious that it's buying anything positive for the transgender individual.

Edit:

For reference, my transgender family member has described this within her own mind - having memories tied to the old name and the old gender.

*The same can be said of parents, but the parental situation is a bit trickier, which is why I went with sibling

Last edited:
First of all, @Moglet, I really appreciate you engaging in this conversation, and you tend to do so without assuming malice, which is probably not easy for you and is much appreciated.

I think people not engaging in conversation about it is a contributing factor in the levels of abuse that trans people experience, a lot of people are too afraid to offer up their thoughts and opinions for fear of being branded a transphobe. It's even difficult to ask basic questions sometimes in an age of social media where people can be "cancelled" for anything on a whim!

So this is two issues which are, at least in theory, separable. One is how you feel about your body, which honestly every single person on earth can relate to to an extent. The other is how others treat you, and again, ever single person on earth can relate to that, to an extent, as well. How you feel about your body is not inherently tied into gender unless it's a stereotype within your own mind.

If you're experiencing gender dysphoria it is directly associated with gender (E.g I have a penis but my gender identity is female so the mismatch causes mental health issues) but this is where you have to bring biological sex into the equation as gender dysphoria is described as "a sense of unease that a person may have because of a mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity." (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/). In some cases adapting to fit a stereotype helps with this although how that works for agender folk I can't say.

Your body just is what it is. In some ways you can change it to match what you want, and again, everyone does this to an extent, and in some ways perhaps you cant - also universally identifiable. But unless you have a notion of what genitalia matches with what personality traits or behavior (a stereotype), gender (as we've been using the term for a while in this thread) is not something that has to come into play when reckoning with your body.

In some cases this is true but in others it's not. I have trans friends who have benefitted hugely from having gender realignment surgery so that their body matched their gender identity. As much as we'd like to say that gender isn't the same as sex it is intrinsically linked. Personally though I don't feel the need to want to undergo surgery but I do have days where I'd love to be able to switch my body to something more feminine.

As another personal example, sometimes I don't conform to typical male stereotypes, and in fact, sometimes I rail against those stereotypes. I admit that it's easy for me to do this, because I fit a lot of the stereotypical, especially superficial, male description. I mean I have a beard for starters. For the most part, I don't want to be treated as agender or female (edit: actually, maybe agender would be preferable). So I don't have this issue of having an obviously square peg trying to fit a round hole when there's a relatively square hole that would work just about perfectly. That being said, I don't fit perfectly into the male archetype. I'm not sure anyone does. But I don't internalize this, I externalize it. The problem is not with me, it's with the male archetype.

This is good as the male archetype is flawed in many ways but imagine this;

One day you wake up and you look like your usual self, you dress like your usual self, and you sound like your normal self. But when you start talking to people they start calling you "ma'am" and using "she/her" to address you. You'd think that was pretty weird, right? Eventually that would become frustrating or upsetting because you know you're not a woman. Now imagine that every time someone called you "sir" or used "he/his" to address you, you felt exactly the same frustration or sadness. That's what being agender can feel like. For me being gender-fluid I have no idea which of those is going to feel worse so I just stick with "he/him" and deal with it.

Personally I would rather do away with gender and just use sex. This is what we try to do with skin color. We don't permit "oh you have [insert skin color], therefore I will assume [insert trait] about you". That's called racism, or at a minimum, profiling. Why do we permit "oh you have [insert genitalia], therefore I assume [insert trait] about you"? That's sexism, or at a minimum, profiling. And while profiling is impossible to avoid, it can and should be dropped fast in favor of new information.

If we just had sex as a concept then we'd have the same issue just with a different name; people feeling like they're in the wrong body. Gender identity being separate can help alleviate dysphoria without undergoing stressful surgery.

...and to bring it back to Demi for a second, this is why I wish changing to non-binary was not necessary. Because I'd rather push on what traits and behavior is encompassed by "woman" than further define "woman" rigidly by excluding members.

The issue with this would be pronouns, many non-binary people prefer to use "they/them/their" and if you're simply expanding what it means to be a woman then it doesn't help with that. Incidentally this reminds me of my favourite joke:

Q: Why did the non-binary prospectors move to California in 1850?
A: Because there was gold in them/their hills

I guess I don't see the difference. "when I was a man" vs "when I was a woman in the wrong body"... same thing. For someone who grew up with a transgender sibling, it is part of their identity to have had a childhood that included a brother (for example), even if that brother is now a woman. "But I didn't grow up with a sister, I grew up with a brother"*. Even if it was a traumatic childhood for the transgender person, it did still happen. There are many traumatic experiences one can face, but generally it is not mentally healthy or well-adjusted to avoid them or pretend they did not occur. Some delicacy is certainly appropriate around any traumatic situation, but I don't think it's fair in this case to deny the event. That's asking a great deal of all of the (hopefully) loved-ones involved, and I'm dubious that it's buying anything positive for the transgender individual.

I don't think anyone tries to outright deny it but talking about it out loud and referring to that "past life" can be very upsetting for a lot of trans people. It's mainly in the wording though. I've had friends who have faced people saying "When you were a man" and it's not a nice experience for them at all whereas if the person addressing them had said something like "when you were in the wrong body" it demonstrates that they at least somewhat understand and aren't trying to cause offence.

For reference, my transgender family member has described this within her own mind - having memories tied to the old name and the old gender.

This is really interesting, I have come across this experience before within the trans community. I wonder if as we progress and being trans (hopefully) becomes more acceptable this will occur more frequently as the past experiences are less hurtful?

Last edited:
Q: Why did the non-binary prospectors move to California in 1850?
A: Because there was gold in them/their hills
Adds country accent to answer.
TBH I know some rednecks who'd say that, without the forward slash. ;)

Last edited:
If you're experiencing gender dysphoria it is directly associated with gender (E.g I have a penis but my gender identity is female so the mismatch causes mental health issues) but this is where you have to bring biological sex into the equation as gender dysphoria is described as "a sense of unease that a person may have because of a mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity." (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/). In some cases adapting to fit a stereotype helps with this although how that works for agender folk I can't say.

Then it is, as I said, a stereotype in your own mind. How you feel does not mismatch your body. How you feel is how you feel, and your body is your body. There is nothing wrong with feeling any particular way and having any particular body. They all "match". The only way to say that there is a mismatch is to bring in some assumed structure about how the way you feel is supposed to line up with your body, and this is what I'd like to fight against. This structure, which is implicit in the transgender discussion, and in all gender discussion, can be really harmful, and not just limited to gender dysphoria.

None of that is to say that you can't feel like you'd prefer your body were different. I know I can think of a few things I'd prefer were different about my body. I'd even be happy to consider surgical alteration to address those things. But it's not a mismatch, the things I'd like to change about my body are not at odds with my mental state, even if my mental state is that I'd prefer to change them.

To take a benign example, suppose you have a skin tag. Your mental state might be a preference for removing the skin tag, but that doesn't mean that you feel like you're "wrong" when you have the skin tag, it is simply you. The same is true of cancer, missing limbs, birth defects, etc. I'd argue that none of us are ever fully satisfied with our bodies.

One day you wake up and you look like your usual self, you dress like your usual self, and you sound like your normal self. But when you start talking to people they start calling you "ma'am" and using "she/her" to address you. You'd think that was pretty weird, right? Eventually that would become frustrating or upsetting because you know you're not a woman. Now imagine that every time someone called you "sir" or used "he/his" to address you, you felt exactly the same frustration or sadness. That's what being agender can feel like. For me being gender-fluid I have no idea which of those is going to feel worse so I just stick with "he/him" and deal with it.

The pronoun I honestly don't care about, and I don't understand getting worked up about it unless it is triggering a stereotype in your own mind. In otherwords, if you have your own artificial, too-narrow, definition of what it is to be a woman, and people call you "she" all the time, you might get frustrated over the mismatch between your feelings and your stereotype for the pronoun. But the problem there is that the pronoun is not wide enough in your own mind to encompass you. Why not?

I can see getting worked up about what people assume about you based on your appearance when it is constantly wrong. This would be akin to racism, or any number of other circumstances, where assumptions are unwarranted. There are two responses to this, one is to push back on the unwarranted assumption, the other is to try to get yourself recharacterized by the public.

So taking the example you gave me, if people call me a she all day long, that in and of itself does not concern me. I guess I'm a "she" then. If people consistently assume things about me that are incorrect, such as that I have a vagina, or that I'm attracted to men, or that my personality or taste in clothing should somehow be different, I could either push back against the assumption that "she" should include those things, or I could ask people to use a different pronoun. But it's the assumptions and treatment that are triggering this, not the pronoun itself. The reason for that is because in my own mind, my identity is not tied into a social construct of "she" or "he". My identity is just me.

If we just had sex as a concept then we'd have the same issue just with a different name; people feeling like they're in the wrong body. Gender identity being separate can help alleviate dysphoria without undergoing stressful surgery.

I don't know how anyone can feel like they're in the "wrong" body. I get not liking your body. I get wanting to change your body. But, there's no "right" or "wrong" about it, it's just you. It's "your" body. No one gets to choose their body, at least not the starting point. That was as true for Stephen Hawking as it is for me.

Last edited:
Then it is, as I said, a stereotype in your own mind. How you feel does not mismatch your body. How you feel is how you feel, and your body is your body. There is nothing wrong with feeling any particular way and having any particular body. They all "match". The only way to say that there is a mismatch is to bring in some assumed structure about how the way you feel is supposed to line up with your body, and this is what I'd like to fight against. This structure, which is implicit in the transgender discussion, and in all gender discussion, can be really harmful, and not just limited to gender dysphoria.

This is why sex comes into diagnosing gender dysphoria too as we know that men and women are biologically defined by specific features such as genitalia (in most cases, intersex aside). That said I think the lines are blurring more recently. I've seen quite a few discussions online where people reference genitals without referring to gender and what it means to be a man or a woman is a lot less defined than it used to be.

None of that is to say that you can't feel like you'd prefer your body were different. I know I can think of a few things I'd prefer were different about my body. I'd even be happy to consider surgical alteration to address those things. But it's not a mismatch, the things I'd like to change about my body are not at odds with my mental state, even if my mental state is that I'd prefer to change them.

This is somewhat similar to me in that I could probably have carried on living my life as an individual who doesn't identify as non-binary but also doesn't conform to gender stereotypes or norms (although coming out as non-binary definitely felt like a weight off my shoulders). Sadly this is not the case for some people and we know that gender dysphoria is a real thing that can have huge knock on effects.

To take a benign example, suppose you have a skin tag. Your mental state might be a preference for removing the skin tag, but that doesn't mean that you feel like you're "wrong" when you have the skin tag, it is simply you. The same is true of cancer, missing limbs, birth defects, etc. I'd argue that none of us are ever fully satisfied with our bodies.
I don't know how anyone can feel like they're in the "wrong" body. I get not liking your body. I get wanting to change your body. But, there's no "right" or "wrong" about it, it's just you. It's "your" body. No one gets to choose their body, at least not the starting point. That was as true for Stephen Hawking as it is for me.

But this is literally what gender dysphoria is. Unless you've experienced it it is near impossible to explain the feeling, but for me it is a different, much stronger, feeling than general body issues or dysphoria.

The pronoun I honestly don't care about, and I don't understand getting worked up about it unless it is triggering a stereotype in your own mind. In otherwords, if you have your own artificial, too-narrow, definition of what it is to be a woman, and people call you "she" all the time, you might get frustrated over the mismatch between your feelings and your stereotype for the pronoun. But the problem there is that the pronoun is not wide enough in your own mind to encompass you. Why not?

Because, no matter how much we may dislike it, genders and sex are closely tied and society has a lot of preconceptions about them. Personally I can't fully explain why pronouns are so important because I don't have an issue being called any of them but I know from my trans friends that they are very important in coming to terms with your identity regardless of the reason.

I can see getting worked up about what people assume about you based on your appearance when it is constantly wrong. This would be akin to racism, or any number of other circumstances, where assumptions are unwarranted. There are two responses to this, one is to push back on the unwarranted assumption, the other is to try to get yourself recharacterized by the public.

The public already have issues using "they/them" so I imagine trying to get yourself recharacterized would be quite a battle...

So taking the example you gave me, if people call me a she all day long, that in and of itself does not concern me. I guess I'm a "she" then. If people consistently assume things about me that are incorrect, such as that I have a vagina, or that I'm attracted to men, or that my personality or taste in clothing should somehow be different, I could either push back against the assumption that "she" should include those things, or I could ask people to use a different pronoun. But it's the assumptions and treatment that are triggering this, not the pronoun itself. The reason for that is because in my own mind, my identity is not tied into a social construct of "she" or "he". My identity is just me.

This is basically how I feel about my pronouns, I'm happy being called anything really but for a lot of people it's very different. Trans folk often try out different pronouns to figure out what feels right and what helps them alleviate their concerns and in some ways gender stereotypes can actually help in this process.

I'm sure @Moglet meant small-"y" "you're" and not you in particular, but if the panties fit... ;)

Yes, I wasn't referring to a specific individual there!

Last edited:
Sadly this is not the case for some people and we know that gender dysphoria is a real thing that can have huge knock on effects.

Personally I can't fully explain why pronouns are so important because I don't have an issue being called any of them but I know from my trans friends that they are very important in coming to terms with your identity regardless of the reason.

I think we've gotten to a place where you're asking me to take it up with someone else, because you don't feel the way others do, which is fair.

But this is literally what gender dysphoria is. Unless you've experienced it it is near impossible to explain the feeling, but for me it is a different, much stronger, feeling than general body issues or dysphoria.

I don't think Stephen Hawking was exactly at peace with his body. It's very unsatisfying to me to hear "this is just stronger" when I know there are extreme examples, like birth defects, genetic disabilities, and amputations, where people are going to have serious dysphoria regarding their bodies.

We do a lot of this in life these days, where we say "you can't know unless you've experienced it". But the human mind is capable of a great deal, imagination and empathy are designed to allow us to know things which we have not experienced, it is one of the great ways that we learn and bond socially. This kind of statement sells short the range of human experiences, and the power of the human mind. Beyond that, I would guess that I have personally experienced some extremely mild form of gender dysphoria, so this is not something, like ALS, which I have not personally experienced in perhaps any capacity (but could still imagine and empathize with).

I do not believe that gender dysphoria is otherwise disconnected and unknowable from the basic human condition. It is too similar, and comes from too many of the same places, as many other forms of body issues. If anyone was going to have body dysphoria, it would be Stephen Hawking. And yet can we say Stephen Hawking was born into the wrong body? It's not right or wrong, it's just his.

This is my message to the transgender community. You're not alone. You're not fundamentally different from humanity. You're also not "wrong". You're just you.

Edit:

The public already have issues using "they/them" so I imagine trying to get yourself recharacterized would be quite a battle...

That is what I mean by recharacterized, transgender.

Last edited:
I think we've gotten to a place where you're asking me to take it up with someone else, because you don't feel the way others do, which is fair.

I'm definitely not the best person to speak on pronouns, I'm generally fine with he/his but would prefer they/theirs on some days but I don't expect people to know when each is more appropriate so I just go with whatever.

I don't think Stephen Hawking was exactly at peace with his body. It's very unsatisfying to me to hear "this is just stronger" when I know there are extreme examples, like birth defects, genetic disabilities, and amputations, where people are going to have serious dysphoria regarding their bodies.

I should clarify that I was talking about my personal experience with both general dysphoria and gender dysphoria here but then I'm lucky not to have experienced too much trauma otherwise (apart from a birth defect with treatment that lasted until my late teens).

We do a lot of this in life these days, where we say "you can't know unless you've experienced it". But the human mind is capable of a great deal, imagination and empathy are designed to allow us to know things which we have not experienced, it is one of the great ways that we learn and bond socially. This kind of statement sells short the range of human experiences, and the power of the human mind. Beyond that, I would guess that I have personally experienced some extremely mild form of gender dysphoria, so this is not something, like ALS, which I have not personally experienced in perhaps any capacity (but could still imagine and empathize with).

The term is used a lot, I agree, but I think in some cases it's still true. I don't know what kind of mental health effects losing a limb would have on me as I've never experienced it. I can empathise and imagine some level of disconnection and dysphoria but it's likely a million miles away from the reality of living with it day to day and that's before you even consider the change in how society may treat you.

"something supporters said would help fight pedophilia"

I mean, technically they're right because I can pretty much guarantee this is going to lead to a whole lot of minors committing suicide as they're unable to reach out when they start to experience sexuality or gender issues. What an absolutely appalling state of affairs. 😞

Last edited:
Borders on DQT but a legit Q:

What is the breakdown of gender assignment surgery?
Is male-to-female really so much more common?

You almost never hear about female-to-male stories. Or at least, you never hear about the uproar around them unlike MTF.

And if MTF really is so much more common than FTM, why? Is there a physiological or genetical explanation because all foeti start out as female?

Borders on DQT but a legit Q:

What is the breakdown of gender assignment surgery?
Is male-to-female really so much more common?

You almost never hear about female-to-male stories. Or at least, you never hear about the uproar around them unlike MTF.

And if MTF really is so much more common than FTM, why? Is there a physiological or genetical explanation because all foeti start out as female?

I don't know if the statistics on specific surgeries are that easy to come by. It used to be that MtF used to be much more common according to statistics however more recent figures show that it might not be as clear cut as people think, especially with younger generations:

"On average, the male [to female]:female [to male] ratio in prevalence studies is estimated to be 3:1. However […] the incidence studies have shown a considerably lower male [to female] predominance. In Sweden and England and Wales a sex ratio of 1:1 has been reported. In the most recent incidence data from Sweden there is a slight male [to female] predominance among the group consisting of all applicants for sex reassignment, while in the group of primary [early onset] transsexuals there is no difference in incidence between men and women."

I think the general consensus is that there are, overall, more MtF trans people out there, but not by as much as the data from the early 2000s would suggest.

Last edited:
There is going to be a great deal of controversy if Laurel Hubbard (who used to compete in the men's events) wins a medal in Tokyo:

Transgender-weightlifter-Laurel-Hubbard-to-represent-New-Zealand-at-Tokyo.jpg

Last edited:
There is going to be a great deal of controversy if Laurel Hubbard (who used to compete in the men's events) wins a medal in Tokyo:

View attachment 1061546

She's taking part within the rules of the Olympics. Some might argue that the nmol/L level should be reduced for trans women competing at that level but for now those are the rules set in place and she is within them.

Last edited:
Back