Transmission?

• Thread starter Flegmatica
  • 8 comments
I assume you are talking about the tuning transmissions, no?

The close ratio gearbox shortens the gear ratios and thus gives a better acceleration at the expense of top speed. However, many stock cars have moderate amounts of power and could never reach the top speed with the original gearbox so this enables you to use the engine power more effectively.

The super close gearbox is like the close ratio one but the impact is even greater. It occasionally comes with an extra gear.

The fully customizable gearbox allows you to set up the gearing just the way you want, the ratio of every single gear (and the final ratio) can be made shorter or taller. It's the ultimate tool in utilizing the powerband of your car, making very efficient use of the engine power - but only if you know how to tune it.

When you talk about the "slowing down" you probably mean a lower top speed, but at the same time the acceleration has improved. You will need to decide which one you want, you can seldom get a car with excellent acceleration and brilliant top speed unless it has a great amount of power. In lower powered cars, compromises are needed.

- R -

If you use tranny trick on stock car you can gain more than 2 second faster laptime.
And just imagine how much you can gain when you really set the gearing up properly, with delicate fine tuning... that's really the fastest way to go. ;)

- R -

Transmission is about handeling.

Would you care to explain that in more detail, because I for one can't wait to hear you explanation for this, exactly how does transmission changes effect the dynamic balance of a car?

And believe me the answer better be good.

For anyone interested in some usable info follow the GT4 tuning guides link in my sig, its just as usable in GT2 and whatever you do ignore Escalade_dude's nonsense.

Scaff

Transmission is about handeling.

What?!

Where do you get this stuff from? It's bad enough that you've posted something that is effectively nonsense (YET AGAIN), but you've added it as a gem of wisdom to a thread which has lain undisturbed for a month!

Aww isn't this cute! Hey if i put a wing on my trunk will it make my car shift gears better???:dunce:

Transmission tuning can reduce (well, or increase, i.e. affect) power-on oversteer. That might explain the generalized statement made, although it doesn't really justify it as it was posted--i.e. without explanatory details.

I.e. you can find instances where the statement is true, but it was phrased as a generalization, and it is not true as a generalization.

Back