Tried racing online.....knew I shouldn't have bothered....

• Thread starter Ryan81
  • 47 comments
So, a couple of weeks ago, I decide to give my wireless connection a go on the online lobby. BIG MISTAKE! I entered a room called "JDM vs Euro" and thought it sounded promising. So I chose a BMW 135i Coupe and started free driving. What happened? Idiots doing 360s in the middle of the track and driving in the wrong direction.
Got out of there immediately and never bothered going back for two reasons a) the connection was constantly being lost and b) just confirmed my beliefs about people not really wanting to race but act like pricks.

Have you found that for the most part this is the status quo online?

It's not always like that. But yeah...its a bit hard to know if its a good lobby or not. Just trial and error but its a waste of time checking every lobby to find one that's suits you. Even its a good lobby with clean racers, most of the time there will always someone that will intentionally bump you just to win.

I go online a few times a week, so far I haven't come across any behavior like that. Mind you I always look for a room with something like "Clean racing" in the header, the host usually keeps an eye on things I find.
Don't get discouraged, the best races I've had over the years were online (rFactor, iRacing as well as GT)..

Make your own room with your rules!

"CLEAN FAIR RACING" & "NO AIDS GENTLEMEN RACERS" etc etc

Don't like them = kick!

You will find like minded clean "proper" racers, add them as friends and before you know it you will have a choice of good rooms/racers!
:cheers:

Last edited:
Is it possible to invite friends to a race in game, or do you have to message them via PSN?
Message them to join the your lobby. Tell them to check "show friends room" in the lobby. Your lobby will show up and then they can join you.

Last edited:
The way to do it is to build up a good list of friends - quality drivers from different parts of the World.

It takes time - I built a full friends list during 1.5 years racing on-line in GT5P. In GT5 I never really needed to look at open rooms - I looked to see if any of my friends were in rooms and simply joined one if what they were running looked interesting. Quality racing pretty much guaranteed.

Build up your connections... look for some races to take part in through the on-line racing section on the forum, make friends, race with them.

that's what happens when you join a any lobby theres always gunna be an idiot going the wrong way or some one ramming everyone you need online friends who want to race clean and fair like you do.

look on the forum theres loads of leauges/clubs ect

It's very frustrating not having a simple invite system. I know my friend can toggle the only show friends lobby but it's just a simple thing that is in most every game these days. Very confusing as to why PD cannot or won't implement this kind of thing.

My trouble with online is my only other friend that owns GT6 doesn't play it that much so I go online just to try to enjoy a track day. I find racing online more frustrating than enjoyable because if you make one mistake and bump into someone you get cussed out and if it's the host they kick you so I'll just drop to the back of the pack and just drive by myself.. which kind of defeats the purpose of online! ahh well. :indiff:

I hate using my mic (I'm incredibly shy and I hate talking to strangers) so even if the game room doesn't say MIC REQUIRED or something they still kick you if you don't say anything. ugh.. I've kind of given up on online. I'll still get on in the evening and just look for a Nurburgring Track day with the chat turned off. I usually don't have too much trouble with those rooms. The occasional goofball shows up but the track is so big you can avoid them pretty easy.

The way to do it is to build up a good list of friends - quality drivers from different parts of the World.

It takes time - I built a full friends list during 1.5 years racing on-line in GT5P. In GT5 I never really needed to look at open rooms - I looked to see if any of my friends were in rooms and simply joined one if what they were running looked interesting. Quality racing pretty much guaranteed.

Build up your connections... look for some races to take part in through the on-line racing section on the forum, make friends, race with them.
This is golden for sure. If you find a good group of like minded individuals over a period of time and then follow them into lobbies they are driving in, you'll have the best success. I wrote a guide for finding a good lobby in GT5. It's humourous but also has some good tips in it that work for me on a regular basis.

Johnny's Foolproof Guide to Avoid the Worst of Open Lobbies

After excessive experience in GT5 online racing my experience with open lobbies is far better than common word about it. There is a huge difference though between rooms with SRF on and SRF off. Don't bother with SRF on rooms if you want good racing. The average SRF off room is from my experience less dirty than the GT6 AI, even with only strangers.

But of course the key to the really good stuff online is to build a list of friends like @Stotty said. There are people out there who want to race like you. You just have to find them.

I haven't did much other than private lobbies in Gt so far. I am hoping they will give us an option to turn off collisions and then I will open my lobbies to the public. I have did a lot of online racing in Forza and you will always get those who just want to disrupt the race, driving the wrong way, crashing others and such. Having the ability to turn off the collisions helps a lot. Those types get discouraged pretty quickly and it tends to attract drivers that are more serious about getting out there and laying down some good lap times without fear of crashing someone or being crashed.

Well to deal with the lobby cutting out, run a direct wire from your router to PS3.
As far as lobbies, you can go to the clubs and leagues section, sign up for 1 or 2, do some races with people, find a few people whos driving style you like and add them to your friends list so you can find them in better lobbies.
Same for Drifters and Drag Racers.
Dont let a random first time lobby ruin your online exerience. There are alot of clean good drivers here.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I decide to give my wireless connection a go on the online lobby. BIG MISTAKE! I entered a room called "JDM vs Euro" and thought it sounded promising. So I chose a BMW 135i Coupe and started free driving. What happened? Idiots doing 360s in the middle of the track and driving in the wrong direction.
Got out of there immediately and never bothered going back for two reasons a) the connection was constantly being lost and b) just confirmed my beliefs about people not really wanting to race but act like pricks.

Have you found that for the most part this is the status quo online?

That's why you need to have groups of friends whom you can trust and race online with them only. Also look for the rooms with 'clean' word in the title.

1) NEVER use a wireless connection to play online, it's never as good as ethernet connected.

2) Be a bit patient and you'll find good rooms with proper people/players. Don't expect every room to be great, like you seemed to do.

i've read in another forum for the GT Community in Indonesia that a couple of guys said whenever they got in 1st position, everyone would kick them out of the room. Is this true ?

i've read in another forum for the GT Community in Indonesia that a couple of guys said whenever they got in 1st position, everyone would kick them out of the room. Is this true ?
Yeah, its rare, but you can also find noobs who will kick you if you join their room and you beat them! Lol. Happened to me once.

You can't base the entire online community on one room that you've been to, it's ridiculous.

Dont let a random first time lobby ruin your online exerience. There are alot of clean good drivers here.

Take these two pieces of advice to heart and go and have some fun. There will always be random 10 yr. olds that don't know a thing about driving cars.

Make your own room with your rules!

"CLEAN FAIR RACING" & "NO AIDS GENTLEMEN RACERS" etc etc

Don't like them = kick!

You will find like minded clean "proper" racers, add them as friends and before you know it you will have a choice of good rooms/racers!
:cheers:

Do this suggestion above ^ or simply look for a clean racing room and add clean drivers from there.

I've discovered that to have a decent experience online you need to be willing to play for a few hours in your own created room. Set restrictions to scare some of the demo derby drivers away. Most of my less than pleasant online experiences were rooms with 500pp limit with everyone using RS and driving line, I should have taken those as warnings and went to other lobbies. The other thing you have is the room owner that makes up rules on the fly and doesn't abide by them himself(was in a room 10 lap race 1 reqd pit, room owner didn't pit and battled me off the course because he was in 1st only to get penalty and finish last) or sore losers that kick you because you beat them. I have stumbled into some great lobbies but with the lack of filters to search for them the easier is to create own room and patiently wait for it to fill.

Back