Triples to Ultrawide?

• Thread starter Lawndart
  • 13 comments
I went from 23" triples to a 34" 21:9 setup and it was good but I run my consoles on my rig as well as my PC so I really missed out when using my consoles. I've now gone back to a 40" 4K set so I get the best of both worlds. I have been thinking about 49" ultrawide in the vid above but still concerned about how much I would miss out on when I play console games. I'm also considering the monster Nvidia Big Format Gaming Displays. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/big-format-gaming-displays/

Also check out Mr Pix's excellent blog about his quest to get the most immersive experience from his sims http://www.projectimmersion.com/

Also was using a 21:9 display, but its to small in vertical size, so i had no fun with it.
Fore classic gaming a huge(40"+) 16:9 is still the best allround solution. If only on pc and only racing games... maybe a alternative to tripple setup.

A few months ago, I considered the Samsung 49" Super UltraWide monitor instead of a triple. Problem was, it is an expensive monitor, with the correct mathematical FOV there was not enough peripheral view.

I also considered going VR but the first generation is not quite there yet. So, I'm still stuck with this 24" Samsung LED LCD monitor.

A few months ago, I considered the Samsung 49" Super UltraWide monitor instead of a triple. Problem was, it is an expensive monitor, with the correct mathematical FOV there was not enough peripheral view.

I also considered going VR but the first generation is not quite there yet. So, I'm still stuck with this 24" Samsung LED LCD monitor.

Thanks for all the feedback! Right now I’m all VR, from triple 27’s and shortly after I switched I moved and setup my office so my rig was separate from my desktop monitors. But the fidelity is just not there visually, and though it is super immersive, I just find the hassle of setting everything up a bit of a deterrent to playing sims... so I sorta boxed myself in my own corner.

To switch back, or set things up to be a simple choice isn’t practical anymore. 3x 27” screens with stand is about 5’ wide and 50+ pounds. So also considering my triples have aged quite a bit, I’ve been thinking of upgrades and other options.

The reality about triples is though they are very immersive with you’re peripheral vision, you rarely look sideways and 80% of where your eyes go in a sim is still the center monitor, assuming your POV is correct and you have your screens less than 32” from your head. So I thought an ultra wide might be a good compromise to ditch the heavy triples and use the casters on my rig to just move the chassis back to the desk. Yeah, total “1st world issue” but moving 50+ pounds of panels to the front of my desk and the screens getting all out of wack is a lot more hassle than most would think... and as I get older? I just get lazier ;)

So that’s the full back story. With new GPU rumors, usb c for proper high end displays on those GPU’s, and the next Intel chip set dropping, along with the Fanatec DD servos I’m pretty much rethinking everything.

I had triple some years ago and ultra wide 49 after the triple and now oculus rift .
Now I cannot race without VR and resolution isn’t a issue for me at all. The immersion the 3D effect, the sensation that you setting into the car not in front of a three flat monitors is unmatched. With triple you are playing...With VR you are driving the car.

I had triple some years ago and ultra wide 49 after the triple and now oculus rift .
Now I cannot race without VR and resolution isn’t a issue for me at all. The immersion the 3D effect, the sensation that you setting into the car not in front of a three flat monitors is unmatched. With triple you are playing...With VR you are driving the car.

Sadly some of us still get motion sickness when driving VR. I heard that having a motion rig helps with the issue. But thats kinda expensive.

Sadly some of us still get motion sickness when driving VR. I heard that having a motion rig helps with the issue. But thats kinda expensive.
I’m playing rfactor2 and AC and in the beginning, yes I had some motion sickness, but you need to give it some times and now I can race for 6h without any motion sickness. I simply didn’t give up, because racing in VR is the next thing in sim racing. I have 5 Buttkickers with simvibe and that helps a lot and I have a small fan in front of me and it helped tu..... just don’t give up.

VR is impressive. Tried it and loved it. But as always, there is a but it is unfortunately that you're not able to see your steering wheel, shifter, keyboard and other stuff.

The problem for me personally is not having enough peripheral view when using the correct mathematical FOV compared to a triple setup. The advantage of a ultra wide or even an 49" super ultra wide monitor is the lack of the bezels.

I know for a fact, source from Samsung, that you can increase the resolution on a 49" super ultrawide monitor, mimicking a triple monitor setup. It's been awhile - more than 7 months I believe that I was experimenting with resolutions, supersampling etc ... but I believe it is possible to create a 48:9 resolution (5760 x 1080) on this 49" super ultra wide monitor.

Back