Trying to decide where to go after PS3....Xbox 1 or PS4?

• Thread starter speedy_2
  • 38 comments
speedy_2
Just having a hard time deciding.

Here's some info on what I want/need.

Hulu, Netflix, are really the only NEED apps. And both have them so not a problem there.

Only thing I really play is GT or racing games. But, I really like the aspect of tuning/modding cars. And GT has just seemed to let me down over and over again.

Is picking the Xbox One for Forza ALONE worth it? Will other games like Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Etc. fill that void that I'm not getting from the GT Series. Mind you, I've been playing GT since The First GT was only a Demo!! And I've owned everything up to GT6.

It's impossible to tell what will come from the next Gran Turismo. It's a difficult decision for sure, forza is a great series but it does also depend on other games you play and any exclusives you might want. Gears of war, halo, forza, crackdown versus uncharted, driveclub, no mans sky, last guardian, gran Turismo.

I guess look at some preferences on what you would think of playing,
If it's GT series then it's best to go the PS4,
If you don't know after GT6 then suggest going to Forza and Xbox.
If that's not the way to go then you got other games which most are on both but like @MildAshers said, look at the exclusive game list and it might help you decide which one to go for too.

Also E3 is coming up so any new games that are in the mist can be shown off and can decide on which one you want from that list too.

If you ask me, go the PC route:
- Most games are multiplatform these days, and PC versions are always superior
- Forza is coming to PC
- GT will remain exclusive, but if you've been disappointed then it's likely not going to change
- The best racing sims are on PC
- Online is free
- All peripherals are supported forever
- The initial cost is higher, but you will recoup it quickly because games are cheaper, free online, etc
- You can use the PC for a lot other things when not gaming

I think consoles are nearing the end of their lifespan as we know it. The rate of improvement of technology is just too quick now for a 7 year product cycle. The PS4.5 is early signs of this. Soon you will be buying new consoles every 1-2 years. The convenience factor won't be there anymore so might as well go PC 👍

Disagree. PS4.5 is to benefit 4K TV owners. It's not a new console in the sense people seem to think.

The PC route simply isn't for everyone, he's asked for help choosing between PS4 and XBOX One.

To address some of the comments here.

1. I don't have the budget, nor the place to put a PC build. Not that I wouldn't love to build another PC. But, just not possible right now.

2. I'm not concerned about most other games outside of racing and some of the more smaller games. Yeah I know, I'm weird not an FPS or Traditional RPG player at all.

3. 4K stuff does interest me. But, I probably won't get a 4K TV soon. Currently have a Panasonic GT25 Plasma. I will probably be happy if I did get something with 4K support when the time for a TV upgrade comes.

Disagree. PS4.5 is to benefit 4K TV owners. It's not a new console in the sense people seem to think.

The PC route simply isn't for everyone, he's asked for help choosing between PS4 and XBOX One.

The point I'm trying to make is, there are PCs powerful enough back when the original PS4 is released that can do 4K, and console are only just now catching up. The rate of technological march is as such that the old 7 year development cycle for consoles is not going to cut it in the near future. So if you are going to be buying new consoles every 2-3 years, then might as well go PC. Since OP has clarified that he can't do a PC build this point is moot though.

To address some of the comments here.

1. I don't have the budget, nor the place to put a PC build. Not that I wouldn't love to build another PC. But, just not possible right now.

2. I'm not concerned about most other games outside of racing and some of the more smaller games. Yeah I know, I'm weird not an FPS or Traditional RPG player at all.

3. 4K stuff does interest me. But, I probably won't get a 4K TV soon. Currently have a Panasonic GT25 Plasma. I will probably be happy if I did get something with 4K support when the time for a TV upgrade comes.

Fair enough. IMO the budget issue will rectify itself with PC over the long term (cheaper games, free online, etc), but I can understand if the high upfront costs put you off 👍

I don't play any games outside racing myself, so in your case the decision would be down to which console exclusive racer do you prefer: GT or Forza? I'd wait until GT Sport is officially out (probably end of this year) before making any decisions. If you feel that the last few GT games have been let downs I don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately. Give Forza a try, you can always go back to GT next generation.

The problem with these kind of questions on forums like this is there are too many fans of each platform who will say you need to buy this one or that one. My life example is one of buying an Xbox one for forza 6 back in September. Come February I was bored of forza and was struggling to find anything I wanted to play. I made the decision last month to swap my Xbox for a PS4 and haven't looked back.

Everyone has different reasons for doing different things and buying different consoles. Go with your gut feeling and go for the one you think over time will give you the best value for your 300 bucks.

Honestly the only way to do it, if you've no previous bias to either is look at the list of exclusives for each console, both currently out and upcoming, and see which comes out on top.

I would say now is a bad time to consider buying a console. As @Tornado said, speculation is hinting towards an imminent announcement of the PS4 Neo (PS4 with hardware upgrades). Even if that's not your thing, there is a high chance the regular PS4 will get a price cut around the same time. Same applies to the Xbox One so I would suggest waiting until E3 is over before parting with cash.

Which ever console you go for, you can't go wrong - both are great machines. I purchased an Xbox One for all the Forza games released so far and haven't regretted it.

Last edited:
I cannot say what you should buy because I'm not the same as you but I can give you some of my personal experience. I bought the one in september with forza because I love the serie, however it was a disapointement in many ways (career, format of race, no real championship) so it didnt hook me up, I went back to RRRE, AC and some arcade racing like The crew or Need for speed. Now since that time I never powered up my xbox again, granted I play mostly on pc.

Now I wanted to try Uncharted because it looked awesome (and tbh because I had the money) so I decide I would buy a ps4, found a good pack with drake legend, 1to, 2 pad, drake all that for around 360 euro. Bought it and love it. I also bought Until Dawn and Last of Us because I wanted to do them as well as ordered Killzone but didnt got that one yet.

So for me ps4 is the clear winner, exclusive title are much more my taste on Ps4 and the exploitation system imo is better designed. If it's just racing game, the question is do you prefer GT or Forza ? Most of the other games will come or are out on both platform. Things like NFS, AC or PCars. Driveclub is exclusive to ps4 too I think but not sure if that's good.

It's not just about the exclusives, prices, etc... Forget PC lol, if you are in doubt between the two consoles, it's because you don't have much money to play with, so no 1000€ PC for you.

If your biggest concern is between GT and Forza, you either wait to see how GTS turns out to be, or just see how many friends of yours own either of the consoles. Otherwise, you will be stuck by the exclusives you would rather have, and after playing them, you would regret.
For me, where I live, PS4 is much more common, I know people who own one, and people who will buy it in the future... so in my case was a pretty easy choice. For you, just depends on how much the online component matters to you and how much you intend to play with friends.

Luckily I have connections in the pawn business. A guy I do watch work for has a shop and he has 2 Xbox ones on pawn right now. About to be out. I can probably score one for what he paid for it. Or probably just trade for work. Then, get a new PS4.5 when they are released. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Uncharted 4
Gran Turismo Sport
Bloodborne
No Man's Sky
Metal Gear Sólido V
The Last Guardian
Horizon Zero Dawn
Final Fantasy XV / VII
Driveclub

You can (will be able to) only play these on the PlayStation 4.

Now you decide what's better for you. :)

Honestly anyone looking for a new console now should wait till at least E3 to see what's happening with the new PS and XB rumours. Buying a PS4 or XB1 right now wouldn't be advisable, unless you get one for a steal obviously.

Metal Gear Sólido V
Final Fantasy XV

That's quite a strange thing to say.

91ofNCf12KL._SX425_.jpg

FFXV-Japanese-Box-Art.jpg

The former is in fact so not a PS4 exclusive that everything short of the Wii U got it.

Probably someone else said this already, but if you consider the Sony route, then DEFINITELY wait for the PS4K official annoucement at E3... I bought the PS4 last December and after Sony's confirmation that the PS4K is actually a thing, and that it's coming most likely this year, I regret buying the PS4...
The only games I really enjoy right now are GTA V and Star Wars Battlefront.

Probably someone else said already, but if you consider the Sony route, then DEFINITELY wait for the PS4K... I bought the PS4 last December and after Sony's confirmation that the PS4K is actually a thing, and that it's coming most likely this year, I regret buying the PS4...
The only games I really enjoy right now are GTA V and Star Wars Battlefront.
Why wait for it ? It's not like the difference will blow you up. There's just not enough room to improve with what they said. It's probably gonna be like a ps4 is a high res on pc and ps4k is ultra. Not much you can tell without having both running at the same time.

Last edited:
Whilst Xbox doesn't have the cool first party games that Sony is known for, it does have solid first party racing game support and the multi-plats are rarely completely bogus in comparison to their PS4 counterparts. If you've come from PS3 however, I can see the allure of staying with Sony.

Why wait for it ? It's not like the difference will blow you up. There's just not enough room to improve with what they said. It's probably gonna be like a ps4 is a high res on pc and ps4 is ultra. Not much you can tel without having both running at the same time.
Well for one it will be fully backwards compatible (all the way to PS2 games), and VR ready. Again, this comes from reports and a Sony blogger. I'll get the link when I can.
You might be right, the software itself may not be the same improvement we saw from a PS2 to a PS3. But if more and more VG companies are working on VR (PD, DICE etc) and 4K becomes and actual thing, then I don't see a reason of why getting a PS4 now vs waiting a couple of months.

Yeah. Looks like I may jump on an Xbox One for a steal, especially from the guy I know. Then get a PS4.5 when they release. Hoping for a 4.5, VR, GT Sport Bundle? That would be nice.

If you like proper tuning then the game to buy is Project Cars as it's simply brilliant for driving and tuning although that doesn't support car upgrades. However it's on both systems and much improved now on both since launch. If you do get it you'll need to look up recommendations for controller setup as the defaults could be better. Once set up properly I much prefer the controller to Forza or Gran Turismo.

If you want something to play now then I'd go for the Xbox. It's slightly less powerful than the PS4 but I'd get it just to allow you to give Forza and Forza Horizons a try out along with the more realistic simulators. I would probably end up playing Project Cars, Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous (which isn't available on PS4 yet). However I'm a happy PS4 user and am looking forward to No Man's Sky.

Then as you've said above maybe look at whatever Playstation 4 is around.

Uncharted 4
Gran Turismo Sport
Bloodborne
No Man's Sky
Metal Gear Sólido V
The Last Guardian
Horizon Zero Dawn
Final Fantasy XV / VII
Driveclub

Now you decide what's better for you. :)

How could he have decided if you've only given him one side of the choice, and a wrong one at that as Tornado pointed out?

Here is the correct, unbiased list for choice (retail only):

Xbox One upcoming exclusives (Full / Platform / Console)
  • Crackdown 3
  • Gears of War 4
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Phantom Dust
  • ReCore
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Scalebound

Xbox One current exclusives (Full / Platform / Console)
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Fantasia: Music Evolved
  • Forza Horizon 2
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Forza Motorsport 6
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Powerstar Golf
  • Project Spark
  • Quantum Break
  • Rare Replay
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • ScreamRide
  • State of Decay: Year-One Survival Edition
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Titanfall
  • Zoo Tycoon
PS4 upcoming exclusives (Full / Platform / Console)

• Ace Combat 7
  • Aragami
  • Assault Suit Leynos
  • Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Dreams
  • Dungeons 2
  • Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
  • Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Gal Gun: Double Peace
  • God Eater 2: Rage Burst
  • God Wars
  • Grand Kingdom
  • Gran Turismo Sport
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X
  • JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
  • The King of Fighters XIV
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8: Final Chapter Prologue
  • Kojima Productions PS4 Console Exclusive
  • The Last Guardian
  • New Hot Shots Golf
  • NieR: Automata
  • Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
  • Nioh
  • No Man’s Sky
  • Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
  • Persona 5
  • Project Phoenix
  • Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
  • Root Letter
  • Shenmue III
  • Space Hulk: Ascension
  • Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
  • Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
  • Tales of Berseria
  • Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet
  • Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
  • Vendetta: Curse Of Raven’s Cry
  • World of Final Fantasy
  • Yakuza 0

PS4 current retail exclusives (Full / Platform / Console)
  • Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault
  • Akiba’s Trip: Undead & Undressed
  • Bloodborne
  • Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess
  • Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
  • Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
  • Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe and the Blight Below
  • Driveclub
  • Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
  • Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
  • Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
  • God of War III Remastered
  • Godzilla
  • Grand Ages: Medieval
  • Gravity Rush Remastered
  • Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign
  • Helldivers Super-Earth Ultimate Edition
  • inFAMOUS: Second Son
  • Journey: Collector’s Edition
  • J-Stars Victory VS+
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • Kromaia Omega
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • LittleBigPlanet 3
  • Megadimension Neptunia VII
  • MLB: The Show 14
  • MLB: The Show 15
  • MLB: The Show 16
  • Natural Doctrine
  • Nights of Azure
  • Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel
  • Nobunaga’s Ambition: Sphere of Influence
  • Omega Quintet
  • Onechanbara Z2: Chaos
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3
  • The Order: 1886
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Republique
  • Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul
  • Samurai Warriors 4
  • Samurai Warriors 4-II
  • Samurai Warriors 4: Empires
  • Senran Kagura: Estival Versus
  • Street Fighter V
  • Sword Art Online: Lost Song
  • Tales of Zestiria
  • The Talos Principle: Deluxe Edition
  • Tearaway Unfolded
  • Toukiden: Kiwami
  • Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
  • Until Dawn
  • The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition

PS4 definitely has the numbers but of course it all depends whether those games are for you.

That's quite a strange thing to say.

The former is in fact so not a PS4 exclusive that everything short of the Wii U got it.

True. I really thought these were exclusives. Thanks ;)

@Samus if you put it like that it's even clearer which platform will have more great games IMO. :)

True. I really thought these were exclusives. Thanks ;)

@Samus if you put it like that it's even clearer which platform will have more great games IMO. :)
Well like I say it depends entirely what you're into. PS4 clearly has the quantity but how many do you want? For me personally it's very few from both, most games that interest me are multi, so then it comes down to other factors.

OP has stated he only plays racing games, so most of the games in that list is meaningless anyway. I didn't expect PS4 to have so many exclusives though :crazy:

Ok. Well after the GT Sport news and stuff I think I'm back at just getting an Xbox one or waiting until the PS4.5 comes. GT Sport seems like a letdown already. I'll probably be checking out PCars or Assetto Corsa. And Forza if I go the Xbox route. GT has lost me I think.

Back