Trying to find out why my rating skipped 2 letters in one race

United States
United States
As the title states, my DR and SR reset in one race. I was at B and B and by the end of the one make race today it was D and E. For some reason it glitched and gave me a penalty and it just kept going up under normal driving. Can't find tech support to help. Just shows the creators of GT don't give a ****.

It's a combination of the DR/SR system and the new penalty system

You skipped many letters because your SR went down from B to E. The principle of DR is that if your SR is lower than your DR by two letters, your DR gets reset to a lower letter as well. And since 1.13, if you don't serve penalties immediately, it'll increase by the second. Nothing was wrong with the game, it's just a series of bad events sadly :guilty:

Not got a video of the race. Would show us the problem if you did glitch. Glitch is an easy word to throw about

Once you have a penalty that‘s more than 5 seconds it‘ll raise really fast when not served asap. Even if that means you have to park your car mid corner and ruin yours and probably somebody elses race 🤬

EDIT: If I got a penalty <5sec I‘ll just keep it and maybe scrubb off a bit on the last lap before crossing the finish line.

Shouldn't be too hard to climb back up then. If you've dropped 2-3 ranks just because of a one-off glitch (you got disconnected? What happened?) you'll be streaks ahead of the other drivers on your grid!

I got disconnected due to a power cut, only dropped one to c (yo-yoing between b and c). I dont think penalties ecalate at b as well. Think its a and above.

I had a race a couple of days ago (was A and A) and I got 2 penalties from tapping someone's rear bumper (both incidents harmless, nobody's races ruined, no divebombing. Have the replay saved if people want me to prove this). First was 2 secs and second was 3 secs. Second one was caused by someone parking on the final corner of Suzuka to clear their own penalty, the guy in front had to brake hard mid-corner, I reacted but tapped him - thus couldn't clear it before end as it appeared literally as I crossed the line.

I ended up with an SR of C (dropped from 75 down to 35!). Then ran a CLEAN RACE around Mount Panorama and checked, my SR was then 36... SR calc is nerfed IMO, there's no way that works.

I then ran another race around Panorama, not clean, but no penalties or anything (the main problem was a single off with no penalty) and my SR dropped to 26! I get they want to discourage bad driving, but this seems incredible. I am not an SR:S player, but I'm not a dirty driver.

Once you have a penalty that‘s more than 5 seconds it‘ll raise really fast when not served asap. Even if that means you have to park your car mid corner and ruin yours and probably somebody elses race 🤬

EDIT: If I got a penalty <5sec I‘ll just keep it and maybe scrubb off a bit on the last lap before crossing the finish line.
Oh, so that's how it works
I always thought if I hadn't scrubbed it by the last lap it'll increase by itself (that's how I first encountered theincreasing penalty system)

Yeah, a penalty of 5 seconds or more will increase if not served (or reduced below 5 seconds)
Didn't realise that you could reduce a 5 second penalty to under 5 and then it wouldn't increase. Have to remember that one for the future, just in case !!

Still doesn't clear up the issue. Talked to PS last night they can't or won't do anything because there is no support for GT Sport. I also noticed after that glitch I was receiving penalties for literally nothing; pass some 5 sec penalty, make a right turn 5 sec penalty, make a left turn 5 sec penalty, clear your penalty by slowing down 20 sec penalty. The only thing I can figure is that the game was messed up so I quit. I will try later today and see what happens.

Still doesn't clear up the issue. Talked to PS last night they can't or won't do anything because there is no support for GT Sport. I also noticed after that glitch I was receiving penalties for literally nothing; pass some 5 sec penalty, make a right turn 5 sec penalty, make a left turn 5 sec penalty, clear your penalty by slowing down 20 sec penalty. The only thing I can figure is that the game was messed up so I quit. I will try later today and see what happens.
Can you post a video when you try it out again later? Not quite sure what glitch you're on about (I thought that you mistook the increasing penalties for a glitch)

So you got a 5 second penalty, then what? You stopped to clear it or carried on driving?
What track were you on? Monza?

So you got a 5 second penalty, then what? You stopped to clear it or carried on driving?
What track were you on? Monza?
Nope just kept driving it and it started tacking on 10 sec penalties for just driving. I quit the race when the penalties had topped 1 minute which was less than 5 seconds after the first penalty.

Nope just kept driving it and it started tacking on 10 sec penalties for just driving. I quit the race when the penalties had topped 1 minute which was less than 5 seconds after the first penalty.

Lol*

Since the last update: if you have a penalty of 5 seconds or more, you will continue to be penalised for not serving the time (or reducing it below 5 seconds) :)

*sorry but it is a bit amusing

Lol*

Since the last update: if you have a penalty of 5 seconds or more, you will continue to be penalised for not serving the time (or reducing it below 5 seconds) :)

*sorry but it is a bit amusing
That makes no sense. So your telling me that if you ignore them now you just get burned with more?

That makes no sense. So your telling me that if you ignore them now you just get burned with more?
Yes. I believe it is designed to right the wronged party in a collision, or corner cut (i.e if you cut a corner and overtake someone, then you get a 5 second penalty, that person will get their position back that you stole illegally). Also, to prevent rows of people burning penalties on the finish line.

Yes. I believe it is designed to right the wronged party in a collision, or corner cut (i.e if you cut a corner and overtake someone, then you get a 5 second penalty, that person will get their position back that you stole illegally). Also, to prevent rows of people burning penalties on the finish line.
Wow so they are now punishing people for clean passes mid-turn now. Well that makes sense. I think GT is about to start losing people because these penalties are out of control.

Wow so they are now punishing people for clean passes mid-turn now. Well that makes sense. I think GT is about to start losing people because these penalties are out of control.
No... you will only get penalties if you hit other drivers or leave the track. Additional penalties will be added if original penalties aren't served promptly.

No... you will only get penalties if you hit other drivers or leave the track. Additional penalties will be added if original penalties aren't served promptly.
This still doesn't make sense. So you have to slow down or they keep tacking them on? What is the logic behind that?

This still doesn't make sense. So you have to slow down or they keep tacking them on? What is the logic behind that?
The logic is for you to serve the penalty you got for whatever illegal move you made (i.e bumping another car or leaving the track). As I said previously, this also means that you give back the position you stole through your illegal move to the person who was wronged.

It's very easy to avoid this happening... don't get penalties.

The logic is for you to serve the penalty you got for whatever illegal move you made (i.e bumping another car or leaving the track). As I said previously, this also means that you give back the position you stole through your illegal move to the person who was wronged.

It's very easy to avoid this happening... don't get penalties.
I never stole a position and the penalty I got was from tapping the wall and then the game freaked out and added 20 penalties in less than a minute. I get the don't get penalties that is how I got up to B/B and the lost it over this glitch and went to D/E. I am still trying to figure out what the hell happened that I got that many that fast.

I never stole a position and the penalty I got was from tapping the wall and then the game freaked out and added 20 penalties in less than a minute. I get the don't get penalties that is how I got up to B/B and the lost it over this glitch and went to D/E. I am still trying to figure out what the hell happened that I got that many that fast.

Well, if you had slowed down (as it tells you on screen) you would't have got the extra penalties. It's tough love, but is designed to clean the races up.

For some reason it glitched and gave me a penalty
the penalty I got was from tapping the wall
So, here's the issue.

You got a penalty because you hit the wall. That's not a glitch, that's a penalty for hitting a wall. If you hit a wall, you get a penalty.

After the 1.13 update, penalties that are above 5 seconds will accumulate further penalties if they are not served in a timely fashion. It's right there in the patch notes which are available in the game notifications section in the game itself, but also here on GTPlanet, in the discussion thread for the update:

10. Sport Mode
- The Sportsmanship Rating (SR) and penalty judgement algorithms have been improved;
- In a collision between two cars, a penalty will now be added to the Driver Rating (DR) as well as incurring a Time Penalty depending on the situation;
- If a driver continues to drive without complying with a certain amount of Time Penalty, additional time penalties will be added. (The additional penalty depends on the DR);
- A driver may now be disqualified from a race if the number of collisions and shortcuts they accumulate becomes too great
;
- Cars over a lap behind will now be ghosted and will not be subject to collisions. (Only enabled in Sport mode);
- It is now possible to submit grief reports for misconduct of other users.
I also noticed after that glitch I was receiving penalties for literally nothing; pass some 5 sec penalty, make a right turn 5 sec penalty, make a left turn 5 sec penalty, clear your penalty by slowing down 20 sec penalty. The only thing I can figure is that the game was messed up so I quit.
Wow so they are now punishing people for clean passes mid-turn now. Well that makes sense.
and then the game freaked out and added 20 penalties in less than a minute.
No. You didn't get a penalty for passing people, or a penalty for driving clean. You got a penalty for ignoring your penalties. You kept ignoring them, so you kept getting penalties.
I get the don't get penalties that is how I got up to B/B and the lost it over this glitch and went to D/E.
It's not a glitch. You got a penalty for hitting a wall, then got penalised for ignoring your penalty, then quit the race. Quitting the race is a surefire way to tank your SR rating.

By quitting the race, in addition to your penalties and disqualification notice, you dropped your SR rating from B to E, and dropped it so far into E that you suffered a DR point reset to 7,000pt and a capped D ranking. That'll stay at D until you can get your SR back up to C.

So, here's the issue.

You got a penalty because you hit the wall. That's not a glitch, that's a penalty for hitting a wall. If you hit a wall, you get a penalty.

Just spat coffee everywhere :lol:

Well summarised.

I'd like to see a video of the replay
Me too.
And let's get our wording accurate; it isn't giving you more penalties for normal driving, it's increasing the time of the penalty that it already gave you (for whatever reason).

No glitch, just some adjustments required to your racecraft by the sounds of it.

I have a couple of videos that illustrate the penalties (and their problems) pretty well, but none of what you've described sounds abnormal.
I've had to tweak my own driving as well, so don't worry, this one is a good example if you have a couple of minutes:

I think it‘s kinda stupid to give out penalties for hitting a wall or running way too wide as both in 99% of the case cost you time anyways and then the game also hits you with a penalty... speechless 👍

Back