Tuning seems mostly fixed in GT6!

• Thread starter z06fun
  • 50 comments
The tuning of FF cars is not fixed. I am convinced Kaz just hates FWD cars, there is no other logical explanation for the horrid lack of tuning ability of a FWD car in GT6.

Thanks Tazz, this baseline is working great, the game is fun, not frustrating! Only thing I've really messed with is bumping up the ride height on courses like Trial Mountain and Bathhurst. Thanks Man!

While the spring / damper / ARB settings are ok, ride height settings are still broken. Even though the tuning manual states a lower front and higher rear should induce oversteer, it's completely the opposite - tested yesterday with the LCC Rocket both offline and online, feel free to try it yourself.

On another note, everything seems to be incredibly inconsistent between online and free run, and also within online. For instance, upon installing the racing brake kit, there was no guarantee they would actually work as intended (to provide sufficient braking force to lock the wheels). Very frustrating issues in an otherwise much improved GT.

Last edited:
While the spring / damper / ARB settings are ok, ride height settings are still broken. Even though the tuning manual states a lower front and higher rear should induce oversteer, it's completely the opposite - tested yesterday with the LCC Rocket, feel free to try it yourself.

On another note, everything seems to be incredibly inconsistent between online and free run, and also within online. For instance, upon installing the racing brake kit, there was no guarantee they would actually work as intended (to provide sufficient braking force to lock the wheels). Very frustrating issues in an otherwise much improved GT.
I can't believe they did this again....:ouch: Everybody confirm it ??

While the spring / damper / ARB settings are ok, ride height settings are still broken. Even though the tuning manual states a lower front and higher rear should induce oversteer, it's completely the opposite - tested yesterday with the LCC Rocket both offline and online, feel free to try it yourself.

Going to have to say that I'm not sure I agree with you. I was trying out a small selection of FWD cars last night, the last two being the new Focus ST and the new Megane RS, both benefited from having a nose low, tail high posture, rotating better in the corners, seemingly as a result of more front grip. Obviously, one or two cars is far from conclusive, but both applications, for me, have proven to substantiate the notes you're given in the game.

I'm going to be drinking beer with my brother tonight, so won't be able to contribute anything meaningful until the hangover wears off...

{Cy}

Going to have to say that I'm not sure I agree with you. I was trying out a small selection of FWD cars last night, the last two being the new Focus ST and the new Megane RS, both benefited from having a nose low, tail high posture, rotating better in the corners, seemingly as a result of more front grip. Obviously, one or two cars is far from conclusive, but both applications, for me, have proven to substantiate the notes you're given in the game.

I'm going to be drinking beer with my brother tonight, so won't be able to contribute anything meaningful until the hangover wears off...

{Cy}

I'd be very happy if I'm indeed wrong about this matter. I'll have a go with other cars tonight, maybe you (& Praiano) could try with the Rocket and see what kind of results you obtain?

I'd be very happy if I'm indeed wrong about this matter. I'll have a go with other cars tonight, maybe you (& Praiano) could try with the Rocket and see what kind of results you obtain?
This is the first thing i'll do when i'll have my hands on the GT6 box. Tomorrow in the best case :scared: .... I'm tracking on the net the post of my game any 30 minutes.:nervous:

I'll endeavour to give the Rocket a run as soon as I can 👍

{Cy}

Hey guys you all know me. I have spent about 10hrs tuning and here is what I have figured out. general tune to get your car around the track ONLINE with out spinning out. First the springs rates work different in GT6 than GT5.. A softer front and stiffer rear will make it oversteer.. A stiffer front spring than rear will tighten the car up. Adding camber to either the front or rear will loosen or tighten it up. For max grip I have been running no camber in front or rear. But testing if I add camber in the front it pushes. If I add camber in the rear it loosens the car up. I have been using both roll bars on 7 believe it or not. But they work like springs smaller bar in the front than rear oversteer. Smaller bar in the rear than front understeer. But a difference of 1 or two clicks in front or rear makes the car do funky things. front toe I havent played with much yet and anything under 80 for ride height front and rear my cars dont like. But I do have +2 bigger wheels than stock and they could be hitting the inside of the finder. I have been tuning with a CSL so its a easy car to get an idea of what each thing does. Dampers I havent got play with either. I wanted to make sure before I spoke that what I was saying was what is going on in the game. So here is the tune or close to general idea I start out with every car to get it to go around the track decent. This has been all online as offline seems different like it did at first in GT5.

springs= 11.5/7.5
Ride height= 80/80
dampers comp 4/4
dampers ext 4/4
roll bars 7/7
camber= 0.0/0.0
toe= 0.0/0.0 or up to 0.20 ( to help tighten up car )
LSD= 10/15/10

Set just about any car up like this or with this idea in mind and you should be close enough to fine tune from there. Every persons spring rate and and ride height and roll bars will change a little but just TRY setting roll bars at max stiff set you front springs about 3 numbers more than your rear springs and so on and go drive the car online and see if its not at least driving ok... So CSLACR if you want your car to rotate more without using rear toe get the rear spring same as or more than the front. ADD rear camber try 4.0 the car will almost spin out going straight lol.. Or use a little bigger rear roll bar than the front and keep font camber at 0.0.. This has been done all online and its just to get you close. Im sure it can be tweeked and worked and with all the updates to come will change. But with these general settings you should be able to do more than a lap with out spinning out and enjoy the cars some.. Let me know what you experts find out..... Ohh this has been done with STREET cars only no aero.. Cant go online now as Playstation network is down but give it a try. it was done with all aids turned off except ABS..

You are my hero, you just saved me 4.5mill credits on the 2J i was planing to use for the Classic race car race, with this info i was able to make my GT40 anniv version driveable with over 800hp, its still a handfull but driveable :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't racing brakes intended so that your braking power lasts longer, not stronger? I was under the impression that all modern cars have the ability/power to lock their tyres if the ABS is turned off IRL. The racing brakes in the game are intended to combat "brake fade," if you want to lock your tyres turn off ABS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't racing brakes intended so that your braking power lasts longer, not stronger? I was under the impression that all modern cars have the ability/power to lock their tyres if the ABS is turned off IRL. The racing brakes in the game are intended to combat "brake fade," if you want to lock your tyres turn off ABS.

Indeed, but even though the tuning manual states that the part carries effect on fade occurrence, it's quite dubious whether the phenomenon is included in GT6 in the first place. What it certainly does in GT6 (and to an extent in real brakes), is increase braking power. You've probably seen the threads where people mention the kit brakes locking at 30% pedal input, i.e. the available braking power being much higher than required. All the mentioned runs were driven with ABS off. The point here was that the situation changed from session to session while maintaining with the racing brake kit.

Anyway, the matter would require a more systematic study (as mine really wasn't) to determine whether this was some online/offline thing, something that's been patched or something I've dreamt.

The tuning of FF cars is not fixed. I am convinced Kaz just hates FWD cars, there is no other logical explanation for the horrid lack of tuning ability of a FWD car in GT6.

Haven't tried tuning a FWD yet, but stock they drive so much more realistic compared to GT5 where the front end would do that darting in, then out each time you got on the gas. That really made no sense at all. Not to mention the crazy tune that ended up being fast for the online time trial 2 weeks ago at Suzuka with the Integra Type R, where adding all the ballast to the front was way faster.

It seemed like FWD cars magnified all the physics problems in GT5 by a huge amount.

To be fair, the tire simulation at the front end of a FWD car is fairly complicated physics since you have weight coming off the drive wheels when you get on the gas.

I agree with this so far. The ride height does seem reversed. I was playing around with it on the Clio RS.

The Clio RS comes with nose down ride height, F 85mm R120. I got mine to loosen up a little by making it level front and rear although the change in handling is quite subtle.

Tried max/min & min/max ride height settings; max/min caused the back end to swing out wildly while min/max caused it to plough into corners. I got similar results when trying it out on an otherwise stock S2000.

I'm not sure how much can be taken from using extreme settings but I wouldn't be surprised to find ride height is reversed again.

i really cant see how its fixed , it still doesnt work and this game still insists on no understanding of front end physics at all :/

no negative camber? that's totally unrealistic...
adding more negative camber is supposed to give you more grip on the turns. what's going on here?
I'm running negative camber on all my tuned cars. No more then 2.4 though in the front, that's the highest i have on any car. And I tried for fun -10 camber on f/r wheels on my tuned S2000 and i didn't spin out, again for fun people. lol

Yes, but this is a video game.

Back