Tuning seems unrealistic in GT6 compared to previous GT's

  • Thread starter Thread starter psball
  • 30 comments
  • 2,121 views
Messages
175
United States
United States
Messages
snball60
I can't believe that real cars actually handle this badly from the factory? especially high quality cars like Nissan & Audi. these cars handle terribly compared to previous versions of GT. At least they were drivable with the default settings.
 
Using previous GT games as your basis for realism probably isn't the best way to approach this.
What about compared to real life? After all, this is supposed to be the best racing Simulation game available?
 
I would think with most cars, stock settings, most people would be faster in game, compared to real life.
 
I would think with most cars, stock settings, most people would be faster in game, compared to real life.
I would think so too! That's why I can't believe that these cars handle as badly in real life as they do in this game? The game should be at least as good as real life or better; better would be preferred!
 
There's the limitations of the controller also - I'm still using a DS3.
When very smooth with the controller, as you'd need to be in real life, the handling isn't that bad, taking into account the speed you're moving.

eg, if you just went instantly to full-lock left in real life, (as you can often do with the DS3) the car would be unsettled very quickly. Or if you just went instantly full brakes on - you'd immediately lock up the wheels.
 
There's the limitations of the controller also - I'm still using a DS3.
When very smooth with the controller, as you'd need to be in real life, the handling isn't that bad, taking into account the speed you're moving.

eg, if you just went instantly to full-lock left in real life, (as you can often do with the DS3) the car would be unsettled very quickly. Or if you just went instantly full brakes on - you'd immediately lock up the wheels.


I'd definitely agree with this. I use the DS3 controller and my car control is pretty poor sometimes due to the limits of the controller (jerky movements on corners etc)....then I see videos of people with a wheel and pedals and they are as smooth as real life
 
I can appreciate what is stated above, but I'm not talking about sudden unusual movements, I'm just trying to smoothly get around the High Speed Ring without spinning out or going off into the rails. It was never this difficult in previous GT's & I can't image that real life cars are that touchy?
 
Just keep practicing and tuning psball. When it comes to motor sport, we're truly never done with either. Approaches and ideas from prior GT's may need to be tweaked a bit here and there with the new physics algorithms in play. Good luck. :gtplanet:
 
Just keep practicing and tuning psball. When it comes to motor sport, we're truly never done with either. Approaches and ideas from prior GT's may need to be tweaked a bit here and there with the new physics algorithms in play. Good luck. :gtplanet:
Thanks! I just need to get some consistent patterns of thinking on tuning so I can find something that works consistently for me.
 
Thanks! I just need to get some consistent patterns of thinking on tuning so I can find something that works consistently for me.
You might try the new fixed suspensions before futzing with the "particulars". I tend to buy all the variants (race hard, race soft, rally) so I can play around and see where a particular car "fits" before doing a "serious" tuneup using the adjustable suspension. Might seem inefficient, but the costs are usually pretty low for each, so the cash outlay is relatively insignificant, and what they bring is the ability to quickly switch between disparate settings to help guide you towards the "perfect" setup for a given car.
 
I can't believe that real cars actually handle this badly from the factory? especially high quality cars like Nissan & Audi. these cars handle terribly compared to previous versions of GT. At least they were drivable with the default settings.

I would think so too! That's why I can't believe that these cars handle as badly in real life as they do in this game? The game should be at least as good as real life or better; better would be preferred!

You are assuming they handle badly because you cannot handle them, correct? I know this question seems disrespectful, but you really need to ask yourself this question thoughtfully. It also may be helpful to compare their handling characteristics on a less banked circuit. High banked driving skills are quite different from "normal" circuit driving.

I for one have not found a single undriveable, must-be-tuned car on the game. It's also best not to assume the game handling of a specific car automatically translates to the characteristics of the realistic counterpart. Imagine the cars as aesthetic skins on a general physics model. It's presumptuous to assume any, let alone all, of the cars should handle like their realistic counterpart. It's fun to imagine they do, but I'm not sure PD's resources allows for such realism over +1,200 cars. Some cars may be dead on. Some may be miles away from the real car.

Lastly, choose your tires wisely. You have nine to choose from and the top three are, in my experience, rarely considered a realistic choice.
 
I can't believe that real cars actually handle this badly from the factory? especially high quality cars like Nissan & Audi. these cars handle terribly compared to previous versions of GT. At least they were drivable with the default settings.
That's why there's a tuning forum for people who don't have a clue. You do have a point : default settings are particulary bad in this one. There was 5 games before and none of them have factory values, that's quite terrible.

But maybe that was made for the tuners. So they can play "their" game aswell. Tuning is a highly satisfying activity, I suspect Kaz to force players into tuning...
 
Last edited:
I honestly think that some of the cars dont turn in enough. I know we are talking about the R8's, but the R18 is still too damn slow at cornering, and you have to add full downforce and 800+hp just to get good Porsche corner entry speeds, which are still no where near what they do...
 
I honestly think that some of the cars dont turn in enough. I know we are talking about the R8's, but the R18 is still too damn slow at cornering, and you have to add full downforce and 800+hp just to get good Porsche corner entry speeds, which are still no where near what they do...


We must be driving different R18's :sly: It's one of my best performing LMP's and is fast as 🤬 through all sectors of Sarthe and I rarely ever run full downforce.

...and while we're on Audi's... my Team Phoenix R8 is as driveable and stable as ever after some nose to the grindstone tuning.:gtplanet:
 
You're also forgetting how you have you controller set. If you have the setting from 1 to 7 "Controller setting is for the stick even thought the wheel is a controller" that will also change the effects the the cars as well "No one bothered to think about that" along with you don't feel what the cars is doing through your body "No one bothered to think about this either" to understand what the car is doing. All judgement is going buy visual. So how can you truly know what the cars will do if you alter any of the setting of the controller, mainly the wheel. I've always stated "You treat it like a game, you'll get a game. You treat it like a sim you'll get a sim" so you get what your outlook is.

Fighter pilots, astronauts have been using sims for decades now and they've never complained because the used the software tool as a sim and not a game, a training tool to sharpen their skills. It's also mind when using this software, if you're in the mindset of a gamer then you'll get gamer results, if you have the mindset of a driver then you'll get driver results.
 
Thanks everyone! I do appreciate it & I don't take any comment as being disrespectful at all. I will say that I've been with GT since 1, so I do know a "little" about the game & tuning. I haven't had any problems with tuning at all with every version up through 5. There is clearly a difference in GT6 & I certainly don't mean "all" or most cars by any means; just "some" of the nice ones that I had no trouble with at all in GT5 & previous. These new tuning issues for me make me think that if I went out and bought a Nissan GT-R or Audi R8, they wouldn't handle that badly as they do in the game? Maybe it's just me? I also know that the game is not totally comparable to real life. & I love tuning too! But, this time around I'm a bit more frustrated than previous versions. Thanks again! You guys are great & that's why I love these forums!!!!
 
We must be driving different R18's :sly: It's one of my best performing LMP's and is fast as 🤬 through all sectors of Sarthe and I rarely ever run full downforce.

...and while we're on Audi's... my Team Phoenix R8 is as driveable and stable as ever after some nose to the grindstone tuning.:gtplanet:
No, I understand what you mean. I'm currently in a league that restricted my car to 595 and 910, a little off of actuals but I could care less. I run now no downforce, hit 205 (limited) but only do 3:33's at best. I just want to be able to do a 3:17 to beat the Peugeot record...

Fighter pilots, astronauts have been using sims for decades now and they've never complained because the used the software tool as a sim and not a game, a training tool to sharpen their skills. It's also mind when using this software, if you're in the mindset of a gamer then you'll get gamer results, if you have the mindset of a driver then you'll get driver results.

I use my little Microsoft flight sim just for instrumentation use on Vatsim, but only for my C-172 that I take lessons on. That is what I wish PD would look at and see how the MFS series set up their sims, actual sims. GT is on a narrow line between a sim and a game, only because you can use it as both. Not to say MFS can't because you can, however it is only a semi game at best, but still a sim..

The controller part, I don't know what you mean. Other than if I have it on seven and do full lock in one direction is unrealistic is true, but we still don't have the turn radius that some of my fellow G25-27 users have...


And I just noticed, is this thread about TURNING or TUNING?
 
I use my little Microsoft flight sim just for instrumentation use on Vatsim, but only for my C-172 that I take lessons on. That is what I wish PD would look at and see how the MFS series set up their sims, actual sims. GT is on a narrow line between a sim and a game, only because you can use it as both. Not to say MFS can't because you can, however it is only a semi game at best, but still a sim..

The controller part, I don't know what you mean. Other than if I have it on seven and do full lock in one direction is unrealistic is true, but we still don't have the turn radius that some of my fellow G25-27 users have...
The reason why GT6 is still on the front of being a game and part sim is due to the community outlook and the way they've have responded to the number advancements. A large part of the community still looks at GT as a game and thus is why PD has still had those options installed, hence we're still able to add power parts to the race, use of the power limiter below 80% and so on.

As for the controller, the response time the wheels react to movement of the sticks or D-pad (-4 to 7). I've found using this option for the wheel can be a little harsh pending on which wheel you have.
 
The reason why GT6 is still on the front of being a game and part sim is due to the community outlook and the way they've have responded to the number advancements. A large part of the community still looks at GT as a game and thus is why PD has still had those options installed, hence we're still able to add power parts to the race, use of the power limiter below 80% and so on.

As for the controller, the response time the wheels react to movement of the sticks or D-pad (-4 to 7). I've found using this option for the wheel can be a little harsh pending on which wheel you have.
Yeah, it really is perception and how PD should look at it, not just the numbers. I'm sure they could still keep what they got but they are far from a "proper sim" for me. There is no dedicated settings menu for the car, for the environment, for the other AI, and so forth. Just going through the endless menus for MFS can be head scratching, but then again, looking at the billions of freeware that is out there is mind boggling as well. I think some sort of freeware should be set up from the community, as we would just get closer to the niche of being a sim..
 
Yeah, it really is perception and how PD should look at it, not just the numbers. I'm sure they could still keep what they got but they are far from a "proper sim" for me. There is no dedicated settings menu for the car, for the environment, for the other AI, and so forth. Just going through the endless menus for MFS can be head scratching, but then again, looking at the billions of freeware that is out there is mind boggling as well. I think some sort of freeware should be set up from the community, as we would just get closer to the niche of being a sim..

Besides myself some already look as it as a sim "A VERY SMALL FEW", just look at the current GT Academy winners, Jann for that fact. He is still the only true gamer or as I call him "A TRUE VR DRIVER" to gain a seat with the Nissan Works team. All the other winners have had REAL seat time. So that just shows you the true mindset o the community.
 
Besides myself some already look as it as a sim "A VERY SMALL FEW", just look at the current GT Academy winners, Jann for that fact. He is still the only true gamer or as I call him "A TRUE VR DRIVER" to gain a seat with the Nissan Works team. All the other winners have had REAL seat time. So that just shows you the true mindset o the community.
Yes, as I have watched and read from virtual to reality pieces too. But most of them from what I remember, don't say much of the actual physics or the speeds, or the turning, but rather the memorization of the track such as braking points, track hazards and low visibility spots.

I know that "A VERY FEW" treat it like that, but it is the impression given to me. I just don't see "simulator" transfer from box to eyes, because there is just that "full speed when I want it, turn in when I want" responsiveness to it. I don't ever fear of messing up on the game because there is always another lap I can do. If they can get that last lap, .2 second gap, weightlessness feeling that I always get on the last lap, which drivers say is just normal, in every lap, then I will call it a sim. Until then, I am playing with amateurs on a professional setting at best.
 
What about compared to real life? After all, this is supposed to be the best racing Simulation game available?
There is no realism with this game. I have yet to come across a Toyota Supra that goes 325 mph like they do on the Route X track
 
There is no realism with this game. I have yet to come across a Toyota Supra that goes 325 mph like they do on the Route X track
very true!
 
I found out something very interesting about the cars in GT6. Almost 99.9% of the cars weight distribution is off, way off. The only thing that is accurate at the moment are ride heights on some of the cars that have been looked at, this is why some of the cars handle so bad.

Addition:
PD are making the cars either harder to drive or easier to drive.
 
Last edited:
I found out something very interesting about the cars in GT6. Almost 99.9% of the cars weight distribution is off, way off. The only thing that is accurate at the moment are ride heights on some of the cars that have been looked at, this is why some of the cars handle so bad.

Addition:
PD are making the cars either harder to drive or easier to drive.
An R18 IS 900kg..
 
An R18 IS 900kg..
I know, but there are still a number of cars that are off. Mainly in the street car class.
 
I haven't checked in GT6, but back before GT5 included weight distribution I looked them up online while tuning and most of them were spot on. I doubt its changed much for GT6.
 
I know, but there are still a number of cars that are off. Mainly in the street car class.
I will look again, but most of the streets have the 10-50 kg off range... If anything, they are marginal at best..
 
Back