Turbo Lag

Yes, I know what Turbo Lag is but the thing I don't know is a solution for it...

I have a Nissan Fairlady Z (Option Stream Tuner) ('04) with a Stage 4 Turbine Kit boosting it all the way up to a whopping 920 hp+.

Problem is, the turbo lag is really bad.

If I go uphill while in the 5,000 RPM range it will accelerate 1 MPH per 2 seconds.

So obviously somebody knows how to reduce the lag, could somebody help me please?

awdrifter2
Nitrous. In real life drag racers use nitrous to spool up large turbos. I haven't try this in the game. But it might work.

You can only use so much nitrous though, I've done that, I was just wondering if there was a different solution, possibly a better one.

i'm by no means a pro, but maybe the car just can't handle the turbo? or possibly gearing differently might help a bit?

i too am trying to fix this problem.

have you added other new parts? tripple plate clutch? racing flywheel? etc?

if the problem is revs than some gear tuning should fix that. better drivetrain pts will help with responsiveness. LSD is for wheelspin and cornering adjustments. it describes LSD for you ingame

i put on triple plate clutch and a racing flywheel.. i would have thought that would have been problem but... nope.. guess not

i havent driven that in a while, but i still have no clue why it acts that way

if you sit and try to accelerate from a standing point, it takes a good 15 seconds to go like.. 60 ish it takes forever to accelerate from just a few RPM.. just try to keep RPM high

oh and yes, i too used the nitrous trick to pull the RPM's up

meh. i restarted the game, started the first one badly and cheated. :nervous:

its hard to squeeze out 5000 for something you love but have other cars to do the job with lol. maybe some other time :guilty:

i had the same problem with that car. took forever to get moving in low rpm ranges. i eventually just got sick of it and moved on. to me it didnt seem like a gear problem it just didnt feel like the car had any pwer whatsoever at low rpms.

Nitrous when your lagging. If you know how to drive you can keep it spooled up most the time. Rest of the time, a full shot of nitrous will last you a whole race. Pretty nice car, turbo lag sucks so it mite not be good for all the enduraces races. It's good for some things tho.

KAuss
Stock flywheel is the best for hill climbs...

I know this is off of the thread's topic, but I never understood what it is that makes it better for hills specifically? I don't need an extensive answer, it's just always puzzled me.

As some one said above just tighten the gear ratios. So when you shift it it drops down right where the turbo kicks in. It makes it a mover and it handles well to. Trippy paint!

C'mon, you can't expect to have 920bhp and not have any problems?! Turbo lag will be terminal whatever you do. As the yanks say, there is no replacement for displacement. That would be the answer, but obviously you can't swap engines!

-Rob

Lol, sounds like the HPA tuned R32 Golf... That thing is off boost till 4000rpm, then it has 3000rpm of huge power (550bhp).

If you use the stock gearing, it's ok, but can scrub off speed in corners (4wd), and drop off boost so easily, needing a drop in gear and revving to get it back on boost.

The only way to make it go really well is to have a long 1st gear, and then have a tight 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th dropping no more than 2000rpm per gear. That way you can always keep it on boost. If it uses long gearing, it just sucks...

Close ratio's at the driving range required for that track is what you need.

Either way, highly tuned turbo's have lots of lag... look at the Evo 8 FQ400 in real life.

De-tune it and reduce weight, that'll be faster for circuit racing!

DAve

Are you using an automatic? You should be able to just downshift, and put that turbo right back where it wants to be (the computer probably isn't downshifting for you when it needs to). And, as everyone has said, try changing your gear ratios.

the whole flywheel thing is kind of missleading.

All the "hillclimb" stuff means is that if you coast up a hill, you will decelerate faster. If you are at maximum top speed, when you go up hill, you will loose speed faster.

But it also means you will accelerate faster, both up hill and down hill. You will decelerate faster at idle both going up hill, downhill, or on flat terrain.

A heavier (i.e. stock) flywheel simply adds inertia to the engine. A lightweight one removes that. So, the engine changes speed faster, both up and down.

Its always a good mod.

no, I don't mean that it doesn't have a number indicating PSI or Kpa or whatever you're used to...

I mean that as soon as you go full throttle, the boost gauge jumps to its peak, even if you still have several thousand RPM to go before it spools up (on a car with a big turbo)

Greyout
no, I don't mean that it doesn't have a number indicating PSI or Kpa or whatever you're used to...

I mean that as soon as you go full throttle, the boost gauge jumps to its peak, even if you still have several thousand RPM to go before it spools up (on a car with a big turbo)

No, I got your meaning, I was just saying that real life stock boost guages are quite similar. Many of them are in no way connected to the vaccum lines that would give them an accurate reading, and are often times "calculated" off of other factors to give you a theoretical pressure reading. Not quite jumping on the gas and getting max boost, but very similar.

And here's another weird thing about GT4:

The real Peugeot 905 has an NA engine, but the GT4 version has horrendous, terrible, awful turbo lag!

No, it is not a transmission problem. When you smack a wall and come to a stop, it takes forever for the turbo to spool up and start making power. You crawl along for over three seconds or so before you get going again. It happens in both A-Spec and B-Spec.

zoxxy
Actually, you shouldn't hit a wall.
:lol:
But anyways, get the best flywheel, and clutch like said before, shorten up your gear ratio, also can you go with a smaller turbo or an "original" turbo, if you can do that, and finally most of all downshift! WTF are you doing in a stage 4 turbo car below 5k rpm? You know what turbo lag is, just downshift get speed and then upshift :dunce:

Anyone try that Charpell (sp) Race car, not the one with the fans on the bet. It's that winnable race car. Try that car, you get the most lag from any car I have tried!

Why would you ever want to try to dial out the turbo lag in the Option Z? It was built for 1 reason - REALLY FAST STRAIGHT DRAG. It's not meant to be drivien on a course or the road, just on a really long, straight section of a Nevada highway. Leave it the way it is and use it only as a highspeed Test Course car. There is no other function for it.

I agree. turbo 4 kit states that its for high speed high rpm situations too. If you want the best of both worlds look for a different car. my supra with an original turbo kit has a very nice power band unlike the option z

Back