Turbocharger, Supercharger, or Naturally Aspirated?

• Thread starter Dark_Ryder
  • 137 comments

Which do you prefer??

• Supercharger

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • Turbocharger

Votes: 67 38.7%
  • Naturally Aspirated

Votes: 86 49.7%

• Total voters
Oh really..? give the Corvette similar gearing to that of an Evo and take another look.. it's the GEARING that gives any american muscle/supercar the economy, nothing else.

But only because it'll be generating major horsepower... :)

A turbo is a bit more efficient than a mechanical supercharger, but you still need similar amounts of fuel to generate similar amounts of horsepower. It's not quite the same, but the real-world fuel consumption of a 300bhp 2.0 litre turbo Evo X is about the same as a 430bhp 6.2 litre NA Corvette - bigger is better.

you have some EPA highway figures to back that up?

I've often wonder how a 2 stroke would do as a larger motor. It sould i would think in theroy doubble the HP vs a 4 stroke as you get twice as many power strokes in a given amount of time. and with no "real" valve train you could turn some serious RPM vs a simmialr 4 stroke motor. some one sould make one :) never mind the EPA

A turbo is a bit more efficient than a mechanical supercharger, but you still need similar amounts of fuel to generate similar amounts of horsepower. It's not quite the same, but the real-world fuel consumption of a 300bhp 2.0 litre turbo Evo X is about the same as a 430bhp 6.2 litre NA Corvette - bigger is better.

Take note that the 4G63T was an old design, with inherent flaws. One of them being that the engine would eat itself alive if you didn't run it pig rich to keep detonation and eventual engine failure at bay.

Newer turbocharged engines don't need to run as rich, thanks to the extra cooling afforded by direct injection.

But yes, in general, power takes fuel to make...

Take note that the 4G63T was an old design, with inherent flaws. One of them being that the engine would eat itself alive if you didn't run it pig rich to keep detonation and eventual engine failure at bay.

Newer turbocharged engines don't need to run as rich, thanks to the extra cooling afforded by direct injection.

But yes, in general, power takes fuel to make...

Oh really..? give the Corvette similar gearing to that of an Evo and take another look.. it's the GEARING that gives any american muscle/supercar the economy, nothing else.

We have torque, we don't need short gears, plus the supercharger on the big block= sub 10sec 1/4 mile times and linear power delivery.

you have some EPA highway figures to back that up?

Just to show how charitable I was being to the Evo X, here are the EPA figures....

Evo X GSR: 16mpg city / 22mpg highway
Evo X MR: 17mpg city / 22mpg highway
2008 Vette: 17mpg city / 27mph highway

Screw them all...2-stroke!
Oh, so you like old SAAB's? :lol:

1967_sonettii_two_stroke_front.jpg

We have torque, we don't need short gears, plus the supercharger on the big block= sub 10sec 1/4 mile times and linear power delivery.

with stock suspension, stock tyres, stock powertrain? Rriight.. besides, linear power delivery is not privilege of big blocks only. If you want linear, take a look of rotary. then consider the displacement and power it makes for the displacement, and suddenly the fuel economy and oil consumption starts to make sense.. after all, the rotors do 3x more RPM than the crankshaft.

with stock suspension, stock tyres, stock powertrain? Rriight.. besides, linear power delivery is not privilege of big blocks only. If you want linear, take a look of rotary. then consider the displacement and power it makes for the displacement, and suddenly the fuel economy and oil consumption starts to make sense.. after all, the rotors do 3x more RPM than the crankshaft.

Linear power deliver in a ROTARY? Don't make me laugh, they have the worst power delivery on the planet, no bottom end at all then it comes in a sudden rush at high rpm before you change gears back into rpm that do nothing.

I'm sorry, were we talking stock everything else? Well it would be around 10sec down the 1/4 for a supercharged V8, the Z06 does a low 11 so the ZR1 should be a mighty bit faster.

Linear power deliver in a ROTARY? Don't make me laugh, they have the worst power delivery on the planet, no bottom end at all then it comes in a sudden rush at high rpm before you change gears back into rpm that do nothing.

...it's not that bad.
RX8_Dyno_Pulleys.jpg

you make it sound like it looks like this...
dynograph_supra_large.jpg

Just to show how charitable I was being to the Evo X, here are the EPA figures....

Evo X GSR: 16mpg city / 22mpg highway
Evo X MR: 17mpg city / 22mpg highway
2008 Vette: 17mpg city / 27mph highway

The Vette only makes better highway mileage due to it's loooooong tank gears and I'm excusing myself from the discussion as I can feel the flame war coming.

Haven't read all seven pages of this one thread, but I think I'd opt for variable geometry turbos to minimize lag and maximize torque. Seems to be the best way of making big power and torque in a more compact package. Case and point the 911 Turbo.

Otherwise I definitely prefer a sophisticated high-revving NA V8 from BMW, Audi, or Ferrari.

Back