Turn 10 May Reveal Real-Time Ray Tracing in Forza Motorsport 8 at the Game Developers Conference

Man, my 1080Ti is starting to feel irrelevant... Hope this game runs well on PC; it's the only thing that worries me. That, and the homologation poopy.

The prospect of the PS5/XBSX having lighting that exceeds GT Sport makes my eyes glisten.

Off topic: I know Phil Spencer mentioned the XB not being focused on VR, but now that FM is on PC also, it would be nice if Microsoft folks on the PC side could port the game to VR. The car/track list of FM in VR would be a nice shake up in the VR sim racing world.

When I see Forza 8 it will make GT Sport look dated, especially with Ray-tracing.

I hope PD bring a little glimpse of GT7 with the rumoured PS5 reveal.

Weird how Microsoft are already revealing everything about their new console before their actual reveal... Great way to derail a hype train...

While it’s good news and FM will look beautiful, I hope the focus is on how the game plays. (And compatibility on PC. Even though it’s an xbox game.)

It could be the best looking game ever but if this homologation system stays I would not play it.

Honestly I hope it stays, Sure it is a bit flawed in FM7, but it works well to make the racing more even.

I think FH4 does it right by matching AI opponents to the player's PI rating, which is great because it preserves the freedom to compete cars in whatever way you want. FM8 needs that too, and don't get me started on the default car modifications in FM7. Yuck!

I was kinda Hoping they would push the next Horizon through ahead of the Motorsport game this time given it sells way more and is just a better game overall.
One: No, this year is Motorsport's turn.

Two: Some of us actually want to get back to racing on track again.

Three: Horizon will be having its last run this year (almost two years), and soon we're on Motorsport.

And Four: That is your opinion. IMO, neither is better than the other because they're both different, so "overall" I think not. Motorsport ain't goin' anywhere any time soon.

Last edited:
One: No, this year is Motorsport's turn.

Two: Some of us actually want to get back to racing on track again.

Three: Horizon will be having its last run this year (almost two years), and soon we're on Motorsport.

And Four: That is your opinion. IMO, neither is better than the other because they're both different, so "overall" I think not. Motorsport ain't goin' anywhere any time soon.
The business case is better was the point, my opinion about it being a better game is my opinion(just like your second point).

By the time this game is out Horizon has been out for 3 years which is a year longer then its ever been without a sequel and given Horizon 4 is the best selling Forza title in History(by a huge margin), I felt I had a reason to hope that Horizon would jump the queue.

No need to get angry.

The business case is better was the point, my opinion about it being a better game is my opinion(just like your second point).

By the time this game is out Horizon has been out for 3 years which is a year longer then its ever been without a sequel and given Horizon 4 is the best selling Forza title in History(by a huge margin), I felt I had a reason to hope that Horizon would jump the queue.

No need to get angry.
Not angry at all, just making a coversation.

Weird how Microsoft are already revealing everything about their new console before their actual reveal... Great way to derail a hype train...
I don't think we know everything about the next consoles and this GDC conference is literally for developers anyway.

No need to get angry.

Business case might make sense but personally i would be very unhappy seeing another Horizon so soon. I might be the minority here but i never could get into Horizon like other people do. Im just a grumpy dude looking for serious sim racing. Then again, i wonder if ACC and Raceroom spoilt me - and if Turn 10 will go the simcade route again.

Back to topic, i think this makes a lot of sense. We could see Forza 8 in 1080p on Xbox One S, in 4K on Xbox One X and with Raytracing enabled on the Series X... However i hope this wont be the only enhancement.

Isn't Motorsport 7 still absolutely terrible on the Wheel though?

If you can't use a wheel its barely a simcade.

That worries me, too. Last time i checked there was this terrible rumble in the wheel whenever i hit the breaks... very unusual. Maybe it can be disabled somehow? General force feedback is okay, i guess...

I wonder if the next generation hardware allows for real time ray tracing, will that mean we won't get dynamic weather / tod due to the - I assume - higher taxing graphics. As a layman, it seems it would be easier to implement dynamic tod at least with RTRT (we just couldn't get it earlier due to hardware and cost limitations) but probably not.

I hope not. I hope PS5 and XBsX can both deliver RTRT and dynamic weather and tod.

I hope PS5 and XBsX can both deliver RTRT and dynamic weather and tod.

I would assume that this is possible and we get the "full package" on Series X. However, as long as they have to support the older machines, dynamic day/night change might be impossible. Maybe in a later title that is Series X exclusive? But all this is pure speculation.

I would assume that this is possible and we get the "full package" on Series X. However, as long as they have to support the older machines, dynamic day/night change might be impossible. Maybe in a later title that is Series X exclusive? But all this is pure speculation.

Yeah that might be a disadvantage for Forza, given that the XBsX is not getting exclusives until 2022 or so. I'm still hoping the next GT to be exclusive to PS5.

Honestly I hope it stays, Sure it is a bit flawed in FM7, but it works well to make the racing more even.

It has potential sure but I don't think it's right the have these great big wide tires and all the old race cars, just wrong. Or maybe if it were optional that'd be perfect.

Isn't Motorsport 7 still absolutely terrible on the Wheel though?

If you can't use a wheel its barely a simcade.

I played it on nothing but a wheel and while it wasn't amazing it was due to the physics, I could deal with how it felt feedback wise and could lap at my best.

However, as long as they have to support the older machines, dynamic day/night change might be impossible.
Cross gen support doesn't mean games will have the same features. I don't know, but maybe XsX offers dynamic change and X1 is static.

Yeah that might be a disadvantage for Forza, given that the XBsX is not getting exclusives until 2022 or so.
He said 1-2 years. The interview was published in 2020, but held in 2019. So it should be 1 year essentially, since the console releases in 2020 and end 2019+2 is end 2021.

It's entirely doable if they are willing to make some serious compromises on CPU-intensive graphic settings when the game's running on the OldBox. Which is something they have already done on FM7 and FH4, after all - the game doesn't just run at 4K on the X, it does so with higher LOD, shadows and particle effects quality settings.

Forza can look a lot worse than it currently does on the OG One - and it probably will, in order to run on the older consoles while delivering core features like the promised, CPU-intensive aero- and thermodynamic simulations.

Cross gen support doesn't mean games will have the same features. I don't know, but maybe XsX offers dynamic change and X1 is static.

That would mean either a) limiting dynamic TOD to offline play, or b) splitting the player base between those on the X1 and those on the SX. Neither sounds particularly appealing.

I was kinda Hoping they would push the next Horizon through ahead of the Motorsport game this time given it sells way more and is just a better game overall.

Horizon a better game? Are you high? I hear the new Mario Cart is pretty good, maybe you could go check that out?

That would mean either a) limiting dynamic TOD to offline play, or b) splitting the player base between those on the X1 and those on the SX. Neither sounds particularly appealing
You are right. But there is c) option with special hoppers for Series X players. Everything else is cross play, but these hoppers with dynamic day night aren't.

Horizon a better game? Are you high?

The market has spoken. Why do you think fm8 was postponed. Because next to fh4; fm7 was a failure. I never bothered with it. Any console racer worth his simrig migrated to AC and PC2 and never looked back.

Horizon on the other hand is a console seller. Fh3 is the only reason I bought a xbox. Open road, gate and clutch support, co-op free roam, tuning options. What's the PS alternative. the crew? Fh4 should skip..but fm has debuted with every xbox. I'll stay open minded, but I'll be surprised if it competes with pc2

Back