twist on the ferrari fiasco

  • Thread starter Thread starter Specialized
  • 70 comments
  • 3,640 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neocrox
Then GT4 could also put Porsches caus they put Volkswagen in..

What????

Porsche are an independent company who have worked with VW in the past, but they are not owned by VW, the VAG group or anyone else.

The VAG Group of companies

Regards

Scaff

BTW Personal opinion but I like the Ferrari 288 GTO the best, but I was 14 when it first came out and have loved the car ever since.

ferrari-288gto.jpg
 
Scaff
What????

Porsche are an independent company who have worked with VW in the past, but they are not owned by VW, the VAG group or anyone else.

The VAG Group of companies

Regards

Scaff

BTW Personal opinion but I like the Ferrari 288 GTO the best, but I was 14 when it first came out and have loved the car ever since.

ferrari-288gto.jpg
Personally, I think that's the best GTO to ever hit the streets. Excluding the 1st GTO from Italy.
 
McLaren F1GTR
Personally, I think that's the best GTO to ever hit the streets. Excluding the 1st GTO from Italy.

Or the Evo version that was never released four made) but was the test mule for the F40.

fs_288.gto.evo.jpg


I've got DVD footage of this and its amazing
 
Mmm...I have a l'il R/C model of a 228GTO, it's a pretty sweet looking car! 👍
And in terms of beauty, I still think the DB7/DB9 wins hands down.
 
There is no point discussing the merits of Ferraris past and present, the point is that there is a large number of them that various people consider beautiful, perhaps more than any other single manufacturer. Personally, I don't like the 456 and think the Testarossa is a prime example of eighties styling overkill. :yuck: On the other hand the 430 is superb in the metal and the 575 still looks fantastic for a nine year old design.
Incidentally, the 288Evo was intended for group B racing first and was only developed into the F40 when Group B was canned.
http://www.velocetoday.com/cars/cars_50.php
 
i'm really curious, where do people get the wacky idea the VW owns porsche?
it seems to be a popular misconception... does it come from Ferdinand Porsche designing the beetle or something?
 
Dr_Watson
i'm really curious, where do people get the wacky idea the VW owns porsche?
it seems to be a popular misconception... does it come from Ferdinand Porsche designing the beetle or something?
Maybe it's because VW has had so close relationship with Porsche. The first Porsche(356?) used many VW parts. Also Porsche 914 was built by Volkswagen and Porsche together. Ferdinand Porsche designed also the Auto Union Silver Arrow. Porsche 924 was built by Audi factory and they put lots of Audi parts in it. Audi and Porsche were in partnership developing and building the Audi RS2. And I think Porsche Cayenne has something to do with VW Touareg.
 
they could have at least gotten the Fiat dino which everyone calls a ferrari
 
It wasn't a FIAT or a Ferrari, the original didn't bear either of thoes badges, the later ones wore the Ferrari badges.
 
Not sure if anyone knows of them, but the rare-as-rocking-horse-faeces Ferrari F50 GT is an awesome looking machine. It makes the Enzo look like someone poured glue into the Ferrari parts bin, added some F1 bits and stirred it around until it set. Only 4 chassis were built, and I think only 2 ever got bodies and were driveable.

Back on topic - Im not fussed whether these grand marquees are in the game or not, as long as the game is good to play, and feels right. Im rubbish at GT4 but I know its utterly great. No point going to lengths to get some over-hyped supercar in, then wreck the game physics. Could you imagine a bad-handling ferrari in GT?? What would they say??
 
FIAT Dino's are rarer than Ferrari Dino's too. The Dino name is to do with the fact they share the same engine.
 
live4speed
It wasn't a FIAT or a Ferrari, the original didn't bear either of thoes badges, the later ones wore the Ferrari badges.

Sorry L4S, the Fiat Dino range most certainly did bear the name Fiat and the original Fiat Dino did not even look like the 'Dino's' people know and love, they carried the name Dino in the correct tradition. The name was first given to Ferrari's V6 racing engine, designed by Dino Ferrari. The Fiat tie in was to ensure that sufficent number of the engine were used in road cars to allow it to be homologated for various racing series.

The pic below is of a 1968 Fiat Dino 2000 spider, with the Fiat badge visable on the bonnet.

Fiat_Dino_2000_spider_1968_green_f3q.JPG


It was the 'Ferrari' Dino that never (in any version) actually bore any name other than Dino, so say this was in honour of his son, others say it was to ensure that owners of V12 Ferraris did not get upset by the little V6.

While many Dino's have had Ferrari badges added to them by owners (and some by dealers) they did not leave the factory with anything other than Dino badges. This does not however make them any less a Ferrari in my opinion, still made by the same hands and in the same tradition, some would say with an engine that bore a true racing heritage that Dino himself created.

It is interesting to note that while the cars exterior did not use the Ferrari name or logo, the steering wheel boss on some cars did carry the 'prancing horse' logo while others simply carried the Dino script.

Regards

Scaff
 
live4speed
The 355 and Testarossa were the last of the GREAT looking Ferrari's. I wouldn't call any Ferrari underrated though, when you buy a Ferrari you're buying a piece of history, something to be proud of, and thoes engine notes, oh my god they're good. I like the Zonda a lot too though, I think the Zonda's great looking. I wouldn't buy a game jst becasue it has Ferrrai in it though.

u r rite about those engine notes they r just music to my ears. :dopey:
 
Uh, don't forget that Porsche Ferdinand helped design the original VW Beetle? The new VW beetle also has some Porsche elements. The headlights and sidemarkers are the same shape and position. I haven't looked into it but i'm sure Porsche had some involvement in that.

Ive always been a Porsche freak. At night i still mistake the new VW bug as a porsche most the time
 
Going back to the original topic, I just wish Ferrari would use a little more sense when dealing with PD and other small companies. Yeah, I can see the "urge" to charge out the ass for the license... but is it really worth it when you're so expensive that nobody wants to pay it? At that point, it's not about the money you could make, it's about the money you just lost. If they charge $100,000 for the license, and they're turned down, they get ZERO. What kind of business sense is that? When they could drop the price to say, $50,000 or even $20,000.. at least they'd be making that much. Those numbers are made-up, by the way, I've no clue what the licenses actually cost.

But it does seem that Ferrari has been a bit stingy of late. I recently had a hankering to drive one in a game, and realized that I couldn't. The problem being that I don't have an Xbox. That's where all the Ferrari's are these days. I own every but, and the only thing that comes close is the 3-year-old Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. There hasn't been a single game since then, on PS2, PC, or GameCube, to feature a Ferrari (not counting F1 and/or GT racers, I'm talking the road cars like the 550 or the Enzo). Wazzup wit dat?

I really hope they get it all sorted out by next-gen... because chances are I won't be buying an Xbox360, and I'm half-afraid that Microsoft will be stealing all our Ferraris again. And our Lamborghinis and Porsches, for that matter.
 
I just wish Ferrari would use a little more sense when dealing with PD and other small companies.
You consider PD a small company? Then what do you consider Bizzare Creations which made Project Gotham 2? What about AM2 who made OutRun 2. Are they a big company since they afforded 12 Ferrari's? (or 16 whatever it is).

http://www.us.playstation.com/NewsStories.aspx?id=2615

I can only imagine that GT4 has prolly sold over 3 million by now. Wouldn't really call PD a small or poor company.
 
RenesisEvo
Not sure if anyone knows of them, but the rare-as-rocking-horse-faeces Ferrari F50 GT is an awesome looking machine. It makes the Enzo look like someone poured glue into the Ferrari parts bin, added some F1 bits and stirred it around until it set. Only 4 chassis were built, and I think only 2 ever got bodies and were driveable.
Close.
3 cars made it 100% through the building process, while 2 never made it.
Its supposedly rumored the F50 GT chassis' that are unbuilt remain in museums to show off what the F50 GT is like outside.
To go with this, its also rumored a fully built F50 GT sits next to the unfinished chassis in a museum.
 
MustangSVT
You consider PD a small company? Then what do you consider Bizzare Creations which made Project Gotham 2? What about AM2 who made OutRun 2. Are they a big company since they afforded 12 Ferrari's? (or 16 whatever it is).

http://www.us.playstation.com/NewsStories.aspx?id=2615

I can only imagine that GT4 has prolly sold over 3 million by now. Wouldn't really call PD a small or poor company.

No, I don't consider PD a "small" company, but it sounded better to say it the way I did rather than "PD and small companies". Doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.

That said, PD is not a "large" company. They're no Konami, they're no Electronic Arts. They're not one of those companies that publishes a dozen titles or more per year. PD makes what... one game every three years? Their big advantage is that they have SCEI behind them.
 
Jedi2016
No, I don't consider PD a "small" company, but it sounded better to say it the way I did rather than "PD and small companies". Doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.

That said, PD is not a "large" company. They're no Konami, they're no Electronic Arts. They're not one of those companies that publishes a dozen titles or more per year. PD makes what... one game every three years? Their big advantage is that they have SCEI behind them.
I think its safe to assume, PD is an average sized company, however, since Sony is backing them pretty much 100% (PD work in Sony's building don't they?), you could consider a big company with Sony, but an average one alone.
 
What fiasco? Let me set you straight. From a passionate standpoint, you probably wouldn't believe me if I state that you're not the only one who's wanted Ferrari in a GT game all to get "shafted." Want them? Find Ferraris in Forza and give us a break.

As far as getting them into the game under your logic, I'd re-read Post #6:

"By the same thinking, we should have got Lambourghini because it is owned by VW." -"DQuan," 8/1/2005

The way I think about this, it's no fiasco if PD can't secure Ferrari or Porsche licenses. Are you kidding this Houston boy named John (me)? Let me ask you. Do you think PD's ultimate goal for GT4 was to make the most mind-blowing GT game, or secure Ferrari licenses? What's more important, certain car companies in a racing game, or an incredible racing experience (arguable among many on these boards)? I am a Ferrari fan, but I don't really care seeing them in a GT game. If the GT franchise NEVER sees any of the big name European exotics, I couldn't care less. GT kind of teaches us that if you want cars with great performance, they don't have to be made by Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Maserati, Billy Bob's Automobiles, or whoever. You can have as much fun with a tuned Cizeta V16T (meaning LOTS of tuning), a Dodge Viper, a Ford GT, a Saleen S7, a Callaway C12, a Jaguar XJ220... I'm sorry. Ferrari isn't the only sportscar maker in the world. Who said driving excitement is exclusive to Ferrari, Porsche, or any other bigtime makes? The fact you call this a "fiasco" really infuriates me. So by your logic, PD's attempt to bring Ferrari into Gran Turismo 4 failed, so GT4 is a failure because there's no Ferrari or any other big name car makers. Is it a fiasco if Forza Motorsport had absolutely no Ferrari or Porsche? Does it really matter anymore?

No fiasco. I too wish there was Ferrari and Porsche, but even I can live without them in a Gran Turismo game. Besides, what's the point of 700 cars, even if none of them are Ferraris or such? And despite popular belief, 700 cars is 700 cars. If I'm wrong, make me your b*tch and set me straight.
 
JohnBM01
What fiasco? Let me set you straight. From a passionate standpoint, you probably wouldn't believe me if I state that you're not the only one who's wanted Ferrari in a GT game all to get "shafted." Want them? Find Ferraris in Forza and give us a break.

As far as getting them into the game under your logic, I'd re-read Post #6:

"By the same thinking, we should have got Lambourghini because it is owned by VW." -"DQuan," 8/1/2005

The way I think about this, it's no fiasco if PD can't secure Ferrari or Porsche licenses. Are you kidding this Houston boy named John (me)? Let me ask you. Do you think PD's ultimate goal for GT4 was to make the most mind-blowing GT game, or secure Ferrari licenses? What's more important, certain car companies in a racing game, or an incredible racing experience (arguable among many on these boards)? I am a Ferrari fan, but I don't really care seeing them in a GT game. If the GT franchise NEVER sees any of the big name European exotics, I couldn't care less. GT kind of teaches us that if you want cars with great performance, they don't have to be made by Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Maserati, Billy Bob's Automobiles, or whoever. You can have as much fun with a tuned Cizeta V16T (meaning LOTS of tuning), a Dodge Viper, a Ford GT, a Saleen S7, a Callaway C12, a Jaguar XJ220... I'm sorry. Ferrari isn't the only sportscar maker in the world. Who said driving excitement is exclusive to Ferrari, Porsche, or any other bigtime makes? The fact you call this a "fiasco" really infuriates me. So by your logic, PD's attempt to bring Ferrari into Gran Turismo 4 failed, so GT4 is a failure because there's no Ferrari or any other big name car makers. Is it a fiasco if Forza Motorsport had absolutely no Ferrari or Porsche? Does it really matter anymore?

No fiasco. I too wish there was Ferrari and Porsche, but even I can live without them in a Gran Turismo game. Besides, what's the point of 700 cars, even if none of them are Ferraris or such? And despite popular belief, 700 cars is 700 cars. If I'm wrong, make me your b*tch and set me straight.


Right lets get this straight, At what point in my post did i say i was unhappy with GT4? Did i say GT4 was a failure? If you even stopped to look at my original post you would have come across this!

benjii
Ferrari F1 cars have Fiat badges on them! so if PD can get the fiat licensing and ferrari is part of fiat then surely ferrari's should have been in the game? im quite happy with the cars in GT4 but just seems a bit odd to me

Now once you read this you will realise that from the start i have been perfectly content with GT4, its great and as a matter of fact i hardly even drive the super cars wich are in GT4. It was just a small question wich came up in my mind when i say a Ferrari F1 car with, what was as far as i could tell, a Fiat badge. I didnt realise it was such a crime to ask a simple question, If we all knew everything (Famine being the exception to this rule) it would be a bit boring wouldnt it. Its all part of a simple process in life called LEARNING!

Now John from Houston consider yourself my Bit*h

If anybody wants this kept unlocked let me know because im gonna ask the mods to lock it, :)
 
Hang on, why must this develop into a slanging match? The topic did have the term Ferrari fiasco in the title but on the other hand Benjii did admit that he was unaware of the licensing issues regarding ownership of Ferrari by the Fiat group, it doesn't mean he thought the game is a failure because it doesn't have Ferrari in it but he didn't have to call him a bit*h either.
being the author of a topic doesn't automatically give you the right to get a topic locked, if it's generating debate and not turning into a war, let it continue.
 
soptom
being the author of a topic doesn't automatically give you the right to get a topic locked, if it's generating debate and not turning into a war, let it continue.


Thanks and i didnt intend for all hell to break loose. Let the debate continue then :)
 
It are Brands that PD must get the rights of, not a Company, a company only develops/ sells brands.

I think its the same with BMW they did buy the MINI name and logo nothing more.

Maybe its a littlebit more complicated but okay...... with licensing you never know what 2 companys agreed.
 
Holy.....
Just did a search for the F50GT, is this it? :drool: :eek:

:bowdown:
 
Taking just Ferrari for example, the hardest thing about having them in the game would be which models to choose, there is a vast range of road and race models, new and classic.
 
soptom
Taking just Ferrari for example, the hardest thing about having them in the game would be which models to choose, there is a vast range of road and race models, new and classic.

I'm sure if the option was available for PD to put them (Ferrari) in the game, almost all popular versions could make it, considering how many Skylines & Evo's are in the current game now! :)

Speaking of Ferrari...Anyone seen this news article yet? Very interesting!
 
Scaff
While many Dino's have had Ferrari badges added to them by owners (and some by dealers) they did not leave the factory with anything other than Dino badges.

Not sure on that one. I believe the Dino 308GT4 ended its production run as the Ferrari 308GT4. While it was never both a Ferrari and a Dino at the same time, I believe the 308GT4 can be found with either badge as original equipment, depending on its age.

I haven't checked this though. Maybe it was designed and developed as a Dino but went on sale as a Ferrari?

As for the VW / Porsche connection, many (often Ferraristi) even now will dismiss the Porsche 911 as just a fast Beetle, and the post stating that Porsches should be in the game because VWs are may have been a semi serious reference to this view...
 
Scaff
Sorry L4S, the Fiat Dino range most certainly did bear the name Fiat and the original Fiat Dino did not even look like the 'Dino's' people know and love, they carried the name Dino in the correct tradition. The name was first given to Ferrari's V6 racing engine, designed by Dino Ferrari. The Fiat tie in was to ensure that sufficent number of the engine were used in road cars to allow it to be homologated for various racing series.
I stand corrected.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back