UEFA Champions League And Europa League thread

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 790 comments
View attachment 1199957

Total humiliation for Rangers in the Champions League tonight, and a 6-minute hat-trick for Mo Salah.

Apparently it's only the second time in Rangers' history that they've conceded 7 goals, the last time being in 1957.

Liverpool are not even top of the group, and yet Rangers now sit at the foot of the group with a goal difference of -15 after just 4 games, and zero points.

Celtic, their famous local rivals, also sit at the bottom of their group, -7 goal difference and 1 point.

Scotland may have two teams in the CL for the first time since 07/08, but sadly they've never been weaker.
How old is that keeper? I think I look younger than he does and I'm 57.

On The Take McGregor had a double at Ladbrokes on a Salah hat-trick and Firmino to score anytime.

Talking about taking THE perfect shot in THE perfect time!...

gettyimages-1243898314-2048x2048.jpg

Ouch...

Also, Shakira must be ROFL'ing hard right now lol

Last edited:
View attachment 1199957

Scotland may have two teams in the CL for the first time since 07/08, but sadly they've never been weaker.
Mmm, if Scotland has never been weaker, how did they get two teams in the group stages of the Champions League! :confused:

The score was definitely a game of two halves, and very flattering to Liverpool. I hope this gives Liverpool players a big confidence boost before the weekend game. They are going to need it. 🙄

Barcelona also struggling to qualify for the knockouts and look set to drop down to the Europa, they had a crazy 3-3 draw at home to Inter and now need to beat Bayern and hope Inter drop points to Plzen.

They are not the only big club struggling either. Atletico, AC Milan, Sevilla and Juventus could be knocked out of Europe altogether.

Peak drama on the BT Sport Goals Show at the end there, they had the Spurs and Atletico game up side by side and both VAR decisions at the end happened at the same time and that was even before the saved penalty and blocked rebounds

Barcelona also struggling to qualify for the knockouts and look set to drop down to the Europa, they had a crazy 3-3 draw at home to Inter and now need to beat Bayern and hope Inter drop points to Plzen.

They are not the only big club struggling either. Atletico, AC Milan, Sevilla and Juventus could be knocked out of Europe altogether.
And out they go. Inter had already won so they were out anyway but Bayern beat Barcelona 3-0 at The Camp Nou to seal their fate.

There has to be another lever they can still pull right?

brad_pulling_random_levers_300_wht.gif

Second season in a row that they drop to the Europa League, Atletico also can't qualify. Real Madrid will be the only Spanish team in the CL knockouts.

Juventus are such flops.

It pains me how my favourite teams Manchester United and Juventus doing so crap. While United has revived itself a bit while Juventus is falling even more. Before they blamed CR7 even with Cr7 or without him they are still doing crap. Cr7 still played good for Juventus too bad he could not deliver a UCL for them. But it was stupid to believe one player can win a trophy when football is a team sport.

Last edited:
Mmm, if Scotland has never been weaker, how did they get two teams in the group stages of the Champions League! :confused:

The score was definitely a game of two halves, and very flattering to Liverpool. I hope this gives Liverpool players a big confidence boost before the weekend game. They are going to need it. 🙄

Indeed it is a bit incongrous that there are two Scottish teams in the CL - I don't know exactly how it works but the Scottish national team have had a relatively good spell, and both Rangers and Celtic have had recent success in the Europa League...

However this year's CL campaign for both sides has been especially bad, and Rangers now have the ignomony of recording the worst ever performance by a team in the Champions League... and that's including playing a very below par Liverpool side.

Celtic face Real Madrid away tonight so that could get embarrassing for them too, but at least they have managed to pick up a couple of points already.

Last edited:
Group Winners.
Napoli, Porto, Bayern Munich, Tottenham, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Man City, Benfica.

Group runners up.
Liverpool, Club Brugge, Inter Milan, Eintracht Frankfurt, AC Milan, Leipzig, Borussia Dortmund, PSG.

Third place teams, drop into the Europa League.
Ajax, Bayer Leverkusen, Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon, RB Salzburg, Sevilla, Juventus.

Fourth place teams, out of Europe.
Rangers, Atletico Madrid, Viktoria Plzen, Marseille, Dinamo Zagreb, Celtic, FC Copenhagen, Maccabi Hafia.

Bayern had a perfect six wins from six with only two goals conceded in the 'group of death' with Inter and Barcelona. Napoli were excellent and have got a fantastic team that will be difficult to stop, Porto, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Man City also good, Spurs needed a late comeback win over Marseille to top the group, Benfica topped their group on head-to-head after identical record with PSG.

Biggest surprise really is 2015 finalists Atletico Madrid who are out of Europe altogether.

Last 16 draw is this Monday the 7th from 11am GMT. Last 16 ties will start from usual start date of February 14-15th.

I will do a similar round up for the Europa League which has its last group games tonight, can't do the round up until Sunday though due to work.

Benfica topping their group ahead of PSG with a goal in stoppage time, lovely
Specially lovely for a Benfica fan. :D
Hope we keep this form, and hope that in the winter transfer window we don't end up selling half the team.

Would be great to see a PSG-Man City in round of 16, and a Liverpool-Bayern, to get rid of some of the top contenders.

So here is a round-up of the Europa League.

Group Winners, straight into the Last 16.
Arsenal, Fenerbahce, Real Betis, Union St-Gilloise, Real Sociedad, Feyenoord, SC Freiberg, Ferencvarosi.

Group runners-up, into the play-off.
PSV Eindhoven, Rennes, Roma, FC Union Berlin, Man United, FC Midtjylland, Nantes, Monaco.

Third place teams, drop into the Conference League.
Bodo/Glimt, AEK Larnaca, Ludogorets, Braga, Sheriff Tiraspol, Lazio, Qarabag, Trabzonspor.

Fourth place teams, out of Europe.
FC Zurich, Dynamo Kiev, HJK Helsinki, Malmo, Omonia Nicosia, Strum Graz, Olympiakos, Red Star Belgrade.

There are two knockout stages, group winners go straight to the second one and play two less matches, runners up enter the first called the play-off and will play the third-place teams from the Champions League.

Draw for the Last 16 of the Champions League:

Germany
RB Leipzig v Manchester City
England

Belgium
Club Bruges v Benfica
Portugal

England
Liverpool v Real Madrid
Spain

Italy
AC Milan v Tottenham
England

Germany
Eintracht Frankfurt v Napoli
Italy

Germany
Borussia Dortmund v Chelsea
England

Italy
Inter Milan v Porto
Portugal

France
PSG v Bayern Munich
Germany

Last edited:
Well I'm almost happy for Liverpool's draw. We will get to exit the tournament early and gain some rest days not having to play those extra games after the two Real Madrid games.

I really hope Bayern Munich beats the crap out of PSG.

Champions League dropouts vs Not quite good enough Europa League playoffs also drawn...

Ajax - Union Berlin
Barcelona - Manchester United
Bayer Leverkusen - Monaco
Juventus - Nantes
Salzburg - Roma
Sevilla - PSV Eindhoven
Shakhtar Donetsk - Rennes
Sporting Lisbon - Midtjylland

Well I'm almost happy for Liverpool's draw. We will get to exit the tournament early and gain some rest days not having to play those extra games after the two Real Madrid games.

I really hope Bayern Munich beats the crap out of PSG.
Wow, talk about positive attitude, not! 😲 :confused: 🙄

May as well email them now and concede. 🙄

They may beat Liverpool, they may not, but if Liverpool win, that is the biggest team out of the way.

"Walk on, walk on
With ho, nah, don't bother"

Klopp changing doubters into believers may have not got to everyone. :indiff:

Wow, talk about positive attitude, not! 😲 :confused: 🙄

May as well email them now and concede. 🙄

They may beat Liverpool, they may not, but if Liverpool win, that is the biggest team out of the way.

"Walk on, walk on
With ho, nah, don't bother"

Klopp changing doubters into believers may have not got to everyone. :indiff:
Well you're probably right. Real Madrid are not the same as those English powerhouses Nottingham Forrest and Leeds United so we might actually have a chance against them. :)

Well you're probably right. Real Madrid are not the same as those English powerhouses Nottingham Forrest and Leeds United so we might actually have a chance against them. :)
Despite having a poor season so far, Liverpool have beaten Cit€h, the best team in Italy atm, and the current champions of the Netherlands and Scotland, so anything is possible on any given day. Unless of course you decide to give up and not even bother. 🙄

If you meet any Liverpool players over the next few months, please do not share your thoughts on the Real Madrid game.

Its Inter Milan v Man City in this years Champions League final, City just put on a masterclass tonight beating Real Madrid 4-0 at home after a 1-1 at the Bernabeu, Inter had a comfortable time of it beating their city rivals AC 3-0 over the two legs.

GLAZERS OUT

GLAZERS OUT

GLAZERS OUT

If city has surpassed United this much. This is embarassing 😡

Last edited:
Back