UEFA Champions League And Europa League thread

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 790 comments
Man City 4-3 Real Madrid.

What a game, could have gone either way. City raced into an early 2-0 goal lead inside 11 minutes with goals from De Bruyne and Jesus, Benzema pulled one back before Foden made it 3-1 and then Vinicius Jr jinked past some City players and slotted coolly, Bernardo Silva hit a sublime strike and then Benzema got his second with a great penalty.

Breathless game!

Liverpool 2-0 Villarreal

Convincing win for Liverpool, a goalless second half but two goals in three second half minutes. Estupinan own goal and Mane for the goals, Liverpool dominated and Villarreal couldn't contain them as they no shots on target, could be a different story in Spain next week though.

Villarreal 2-3 Liverpool (Liverpool win 2-5 on aggregate)

Well Villarreal gave it a good go tonight, they were 2-0 up at half time and they had a brilliant first half with Liverpool woeful. Dia and Coquelin with their goals but Liverpool turned it around with Fabinho, Diaz and Mane scoring in the second half and they were helped by some terrible goalkeeping from Rulli, Capoue was sent off late on.

Liverpool are into this years Champions League final were they will face either Real Madrid or Man City who play their second leg tomorrow night.

I shall cheerfully admit that big boy 🤬head football can still drawn me in from time to time.

FR8d0U2XMAYRXXe.jpg

Real Madrid 3-1 Man City (after extra time, Real win 6-5 on aggregate)

After a tense and feisty first half Mahrez came off the bench to put City in front, 2-5 up on aggregate with 15 minutes to play is looked sure that City would go through but then an incredible comeback with Rodrygo scoring twice in two minutes took the game to extra time and then a Benzema penalty in the first half of extra time would seal the comeback win for Real, City bottled it.

Liverpool v Real Madrid, UEFA Champions League final, May 28th at the Stade De France.

2-5 up on aggregate with 15 minutes to play
It was 3-5 at that time.

Anyway, this is by far, the luckiest Real Madrid team I've seen, ever. :lol:
Not only all the teams they faced, completely bottled it in some way, but even the goals were so damn lucky, atleast half of them were!

At this point, might as well bet on Real to win the UCL, judging by the luck they've had.

20220505_082944.jpg

Another CL slips out of Man City's fingers. Come on Liverpool, it's time for revenge for Kiev. Someone please make sure Loris Karius is nowhere near Paris (or is at least in a Real Madrid kit)

It was 3-5 at that time.

Not only all the teams they faced, completely bottled it in some way, but even the goals were so damn lucky, atleast half of them were!

At this point, might as well bet on Real to win the UCL, judging by the luck they've had.
That and the fact that the away goals rule no longer applies, otherwise they would have been out at full time in spite of their two late goals.

It was 3-5 at that time.

Real Madrid are so lucky when Liverpool gets easy teams like Inter, Villareal and Benfica.

While Real Madrid knocked out psg, man city and chelsea.

Real Madrid more than deserve the title.

So Hala Madrid.

Real Madrid are so lucky when Liverpool gets easy teams like Inter, Villareal and Benfica.

While Real Madrid knocked out psg, man city and chelsea.

Real Madrid more than deserve the title.

So Hala Madrid.
Be honest though, Real were outplayed in pretty much every game of the knockout stages. They reach the final without really knowing how. And I'm a neutral, so if I'm looking for the team that displayed better football, RM weren't good enough for that.

There's of course merit for not quitting and all, but there's no hiding that:
-they were lucky to not ship a 3-0 loss against PSG in the first game (RM had 0 shots on target, off a total of 3 shots, while PSG shot 21 times, 8 on target)
-lucky for not being 3-0 down against PSG in the second game up to the 50th minute (excluding the two disallowed goals for offside, just by a few inches)
-lucky that despite PSG being all over them, Donnaruma bottles it, changing the whole game
-lucky that the ref didn't consider a foul when Benzema tackled Donnaruma
-lucky against Chelsea, which had 20 shots in the first game, only scoring one
-lucky that once again a GK made a mess, which gave the 3rd goal
-lucky in the second game, where Chelsea had 28 shots and 3-0 up, and one of the most reliable players in the world (Kante) makes 2 mistakes, that lead to both goals (great assists by Modric and Vinicius though), and while Rudiger slipped for the second one
-against City, City were a lot closer to increasing their lead, than Real were to reduce, yet, it happened 3 times in the first game, somehow
-second game similar story, City closer to score a 2nd goal, and they bottle it
-hell, even the fact that Carvajal didn't sustain an injury every two games is baffling, as in previous seasons, he barely played two full games in a row :lol:

In the end, there's more to blame on the opposition, who either lacked when it came to scoring more goals (City clearly needs a proper striker) or made too many mistakes (the Donnaruma mistake started it all, really).

And calling the teams Liverpool faced as "easy", is quite disrespectful. One of them literally beat Bayern, which was, at that time the 3rd or 4th best team in Europe.

Excited to see the final though. From a footballing perspective, Liverpool are the favorites, but this RM is too upredictably lucky, that they could be completely outplayed, and still win 3-1.

Be honest though, Real were outplayed in pretty much every game of the knockout stages. They reach the final without really knowing how. And I'm a neutral, so if I'm looking for the team that displayed better football, RM weren't good enough for that.

There's of course merit for not quitting and all, but there's no hiding that:
-they were lucky to not ship a 3-0 loss against PSG in the first game (RM had 0 shots on target, off a total of 3 shots, while PSG shot 21 times, 8 on target)
-lucky for not being 3-0 down against PSG in the second game up to the 50th minute (excluding the two disallowed goals for offside, just by a few inches)
-lucky that despite PSG being all over them, Donnaruma bottles it, changing the whole game
-lucky that the ref didn't consider a foul when Benzema tackled Donnaruma
-lucky against Chelsea, which had 20 shots in the first game, only scoring one
-lucky that once again a GK made a mess, which gave the 3rd goal
-lucky in the second game, where Chelsea had 28 shots and 3-0 up, and one of the most reliable players in the world (Kante) makes 2 mistakes, that lead to both goals (great assists by Modric and Vinicius though), and while Rudiger slipped for the second one
-against City, City were a lot closer to increasing their lead, than Real were to reduce, yet, it happened 3 times in the first game, somehow
-second game similar story, City closer to score a 2nd goal, and they bottle it
-hell, even the fact that Carvajal didn't sustain an injury every two games is baffling, as in previous seasons, he barely played two full games in a row :lol:

In the end, there's more to blame on the opposition, who either lacked when it came to scoring more goals (City clearly needs a proper striker) or made too many mistakes (the Donnaruma mistake started it all, really).

And calling the teams Liverpool faced as "easy", is quite disrespectful. One of them literally beat Bayern, which was, at that time the 3rd or 4th best team in Europe.

Excited to see the final though. From a footballing perspective, Liverpool are the favorites, but this RM is too upredictably lucky, that they could be completely outplayed, and still win 3-1.
Bayern munich choked as usual. Dont tell me Inter, Benfica or Villareal are tough teams as usual Liverpool got easy teams.

Liverpool could have got knocked out if they played a strong team.

Real madrid won because they did not give up also got lucky. Still they beaten tough teams to get to the final.

Im officially convinced Real is using some sort of black magic this year because THEY. SIMPLY. WILL NOT. DIE. :eek:

Bayern munich choked as usual. Dont tell me Inter, Benfica or Villareal are tough teams as usual Liverpool got easy teams.

Liverpool could have got knocked out if they played a strong team.

Real madrid won because they did not give up also got lucky. Still they beaten tough teams to get to the final.
Liverpool got easier teams. It doesn't mean those games were easy. Although Liverpool could have ended them in the first leg, if they were effective enough. In the end, Liverpool outplayed everyone they faced, Real didn't.

And to me what's most shocking, was that Real was being outplayed, like they were one of the smaller teams, where they only had a good spell of 20/30 minutes per game, and somehow end up winning. Real Madrid gave up in all those second leg games, until the point a goal showed up from nowhere, which as expected gave them an extra boost.

Funny thing is, Real reached the final, and it's entirely possible that they win it this year. Next year they could very well end up hiring Mbappe or Haaland or whatever, play much better than they did this year, and get knocked out in the early stages of the UCL. Then people will complain about lack of luck or that X player ruined the team. :lol:

Champions League final is tomorrow night.

Liverpool v Real Madrid, 8pm GMT at Stade De France.

Excited for tonight. Just for my own enjoyment i hope the game will go to extra time and penalties.

The outcome doesn't really matter to me, as long as they both play attacking football with a lot of chances.

My mate travelled to Paris yesterday not knowing if the ticket his sister had arranged for him would materialise, but I'm glad to report that it has...

I've watched the last two Liverpool CL finals with him in a packed pub in Glasgow, and I must admit that it would have been fun to do so again, but I hope he gets to witness a Liverpool CL win first-hand.

The game is streaming live for free on BT Sport's YouTube channel here:

Heh, all the toss arguing about offsides now.

Bizarre that League One can get this right, but it's apparently "unclear" in Champions League finals and World Cup/European Championship games.

Ooft, how could Liverpool leave Vinicius completely unmarked? Terrible defending, and 1-0 down for Liverpool, in spite of many chances...

Back