UEFA Euro 2021 But Yet Somehow Still Euro 2020 Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 651 comments
0-0 England v Croatia at half-time.

England should be one or two up - Foden hit the post early on, and England had a perfect free-kick, but despite starting strongly, they've not managed to break through. The last 10-15 minutes they've been way too ponderous slow, and a few players are having a poor game. Sterling and Foden are running the show for England.

Croatia have been woeful so far. 0-0 flatters them and they haven't done anything yet, even against an England defence that looks like it could fall over in a stiff breeze.

Some England fans booed their own players at the start of the game for 'taking a knee' - not surprising but still disrespectful and shameful behaviour, esp. when they then expect the same players to go out and win the game for them. How pathetic and sad is it when the English FA have to plead with their own supporters to not boo their own players before the start of the first game of a major international tournament...?

The boos were drowned out by cheer and applause, similar to the two warm up games before hand.

Its been all England, Croatia have done next to nothing thus far.

Surprisingly weak by Croatia. One almost wonders how many per cent they played, keeping the knockout phase in mind (winner of this group plays runner-up in F (France, Portugal, Germany, Hungary).

England 1-0 Croatia.

Raheem Sterling's goal mid way through the second half following a fantastic run and pass from Kalvin Philips, Philips was the best player on the pitch as well as he was superb, good performance from England who mostly controlled the whole game, wasn't spectacular but they did what they needed to do, Croatia were poor and Modric looks past his best.

Surprisingly weak by Croatia. One almost wonders how many per cent they played, keeping the knockout phase in mind (winner of this group plays runner-up in F (France, Portugal, Germany, Hungary).
Bumped into an English friend of mine on my way to the shop after the match, and he seemed to suggest that teams may wish to avoid winning Group D - it hadn't occured to me, but finishing 2nd in Group D is almost certainly going to be better than winning the group :/

I'm happy for the win, but I feel it was despite of Southgate, not because of him. Some people ere saying that was a good performance, it was lackluster and if Croatia had turned up they probably would have beat England today. I hope Southgate doesn't pick teams this conservative for the whole tournament. Still a couple of positives, Phillips work before the goal was excellent.

Last edited:
Austria 3-1 North Macedonia
Netherlands 3-2 Ukraine

Lainer gave Austria the lead before Goran Pandev with the eqauliser after a defensive mix up (had to be Pandev didn't it!) it was 1-1 at the break and Gregoritsch put Austria back in front and Arnautovic sealed the win for them, he then had the angriest celebration ever ranting and gesticulating before Alaba calmed him down, Macedonia gave a decent account of themselves but were a little out of depth.

What a game that just finished, it was all about the second half as it was 0-0 at HT despite Netherlands having some great chances, Wijnaldum but the Dutch in front and Weghorst got a second soon after but then Yarmolenko was a superb strike put Ukraine in it, Yaremchuk with a header for the equaliser before Dumfries got the winner in the 85th minute.

Game of the tournament so far and goal of the tournament so far from Yarmolenko.

Scotland v Czech Republic starts in 20 minutes... :nervous:

I was going to watch the game at home, but I've set up the big screen at work and connected my PC to it, so I'll watch most of it on my iPad in my office, but can also watch bits of it with the others in the group - there's only 3 of us who are bothered about watching the game and we're a de facto 'bubble' already, plus we'll have masks and be socially distanced.

The atmosphere is building up here - it has been an incredible 23 years and 4 days since Scotland played their first game at their last major tournament. I took that day off work to watch Scotland v Brazil, and I was expecting us to get hammered, but we played very well and were unlucky not to get a draw against the reigning World Champions.

Scotland really need to beat the Czech Republic today if we are to have any hope of making the knockout stages.

Last edited:
Good lord, how the actual hell did Sweden not score against Spain there??

Absolutely incredible luck from Spain!!

edit: Wow. Sweden miss a sitter, they should be 2-0 up despite Spain being absolutely dominant.

Last edited:
Scotland 0-2 Czech Republic
Poland 1-2 Slovakia
Spain 0-0 Sweden

Two goals from Patrick Schick gave Czech the win and the second goal was simply astonishing, that goal will take some beating for goal of the tournament, Scotland were disappointing and the defeat will put a lot more pressure on them for the England game on Friday night.

A Szczesny own goal put Slovakia in front before Linetty got Polish eqauliser, Poland then had Krychowiak sent off making it the first red card in the tournament and Skriniar got the winner in the 69th minute.

Spain and Sweden played out the first 0-0 of Euro 2020 despite an abundance of chances from both, Group E looks wide open now.

Scotland 0-2 Czech Republic
Poland 1-2 Slovakia
Spain 0-0 Sweden

Two goals from Patrick Schick gave Czech the win and the second goal was simply astonishing, that goal will take some beating for goal of the tournament, Scotland were disappointing and the defeat will put a lot more pressure on them for the England game on Friday night.

A Szczesny own goal put Slovakia in front before Linetty got Polish eqauliser, Poland then had Krychowiak sent off making it the first red card in the tournament and Skriniar got the winner in the 69th minute.

Spain and Sweden played out the first 0-0 of Euro 2020 despite an abundance of chances from both, Group E looks wide open now.
Silly rule, concering that “own goal”. Should be Mak’s goal.

As for Sweden, saying we had an abundance of chances is quite generous. We did have really good chances but they were very few and unfortunately neither turned out to be a goal. Unbelievable how Markus Berg missed that assist by Isak. Should be in the net 19 times out of 20. That said, not that many teams manage to get a point away to Spain and that was the plan from the beginning anyway.

Last edited:
Isak was really good tonight and gave the Spanish defense a run-around at times, surprised he was taken off.

Isak was really good tonight and gave the Spanish defense a run-around at times, surprised he was taken off.
He was, yeah. Pretty much all of our supporters were very surprised and angry when he was subbed but manager Andersson claimed fatigue.

You know what Daniel James was Wales's best player during the draw v Switzerland, he was taken off and didn't look happy about it....and the manager claimed he was tired.

Silly rule, concering that “own goal”. Should be Mak’s goal.

As for Sweden, saying we had an abundance of chances is quite generous. We did have really good chances but they were very few and unfortunately neither turned out to be a goal. Unbelievable how Markus Berg missed that assist by Isak. Should be in the net 19 times out of 20. That said, not that many teams manage to get a point away to Spain and that was the plan from the beginning anyway.
Morata missed a similar sitter in the first half, so it was all evened out. If the marginals went in, it would have been 1-1 anyway.

Wembley will have 45,000 fans for the knockouts onwards up from around 20+ it can have for the three group games, It was hoped that they could use its full capacity but Boris Johnson put paid to that yesterday by delaying of all restrictions ending in the UK until July 19th.

There were a few rumblings from out of the Danish camp yesterday saying that were made to play the game on Saturday after Eriksen's cardiac arrest, Today their head coach said that they can delay a game by 48 hours for Covid but not if one of their players nearly dies, it is obviously disgraceful by UEFA if they were made to play on but lets be honest its no surprise!

On a happier note Eriksen has posted a pic on his Instagram of him smiling with a thumbs up with a message thanking people, good to see up up and smiling. 👍

dC7QvFg.jpg

Mbappe scores a sublime second goal for France

* goes away, makes a cup of tea *

Linesman: Offside!

Back