UEFA Nations League

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 87 comments
Congratulations to Portugal, well deserved as they were the best team during their two games.

With the 3rd/4th place play-off the top four looks like this.

1. Portugal
2. Netherlands
3. England
4. Switzerland

Portugal's Bernardo Silva won player of the finals award.

Netherlands' Frenkie De Jong won best young player.

Not sure what to do with this thread now, as far as I know the next Nations League is not till 2021.

So the Nations League starts up again in September, the draw for it took place a little earlier in Amsterdam. And here are the groups.

LEAGUE A

Group 1: Netherlands, Italy, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Poland
Group 2: England, Belgium, Denmark, Iceland
Group 3: Portugal, France, Sweden, Croatia
Group 4: Switzerland, Spain, Ukraine, Germany

LEAGUE B

Group 1: Austria, Norway, Northern Ireland, Romania
Group 2: Czech Republic, Scotland, Israel, Slovakia
Group 3: Russia, Serbia, Turkey, Hungary
Group 4: Wales, Finland, Republic Of Ireland, Bulgaria

LEAGUE C

Group 1: Montenegro, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan
Group 2: Georgia, North Macedonia, Estonia, Armenia
Group 3: Greece, Kosovo, Slovenia, Moldova
Group 4: Albania, Belarus, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

LEAGUE D

Group 1: Faroe Islands, Latvia, Andorra, Malta
Group 2: Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, San Marino

Teams play each other home and away with the group winners in League A qualifying for the finals in June 2021. The group winners from B C and D gain promotion and the bottom placed teams in B and C relegated.

As League C has for groups and League D only two the four League D teams relegated will be determined by a two-legged play-off.

The Nations League starts from Thursday for the second time.

The groups are above, no changes to the rules as far as I know, I might post the fixtures tomorrow.

45D92441-21EF-4532-B5E5-B75D2E0E59D0.jpeg
Let's hope Scotland can exploit the Holes in the Czech defence...

Someone else POSTED!!!! :cheers: 👍👍

That's more of a second string Czech team, they had to name another squad for tonight after a few players tested positive from the original squad, they tried to get the game called off but UEFA said no, the new squad features just two capped players in the 24-man team.

Italy had a great win yesterday at the Netherlands after a poor first game hosting Bosnia ed Herzegovina.

Belgium hammered Iceland 5-1 whilst England laboured to 0-0 away to Denmark in the same group.

Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 100th and 101st goals for Portugal against Sweden and both goals were stunning, he is the first European player to score 100 or more goals for a nation.

Spain battered Germany 6-0 tonight, pure dominance from Spain, Germany had zero shots on target and it wasn't a weakened Germany at all. Werner, Sane and Gnabry started up front.

This run of the Nations league is almost finished as the group stage concludes, France and Spain have qualified for the play offs after topping their groups in the top division, Belgium need to avoid defeat to Denmark tomorrow night to qualify. Italy can qualify with win over Bosnia but Netherlands might have something to say about it as they are only a point behind and play Poland, who can also qualify!

There is a big game for Wales who can win promotion to the top groups if they avoid defeat to Finland tomorrow, I'll post a proper round up of whos gone where after tomorrow night's games.

First post in almost a year on this thread, and its to say that the semi finals and final will take place during this international break, Italy are the hosts...and are also taking part.

Wednesday its Italy v Spain at the San Siro, Thursdays its Belgium v France at the Allianz Stadium with both games kicking off at 7.45pm GMT, Sunday will see both the third/fourth play off game at 2pm at the Allianz and the final at 7.45 at the San Siro.

Italy 1-2 Spain.

Ferran Torres with two first half goals with Bonucci being sent off for Italy sandwiched in between, Pellegrini got a consolation but Italy's 37 game unbeaten run is over, plus they have lost a competitive home game for the first time since 1999!

France beat Belgium in a great game, Belgium were leading 2-0 at half time thanks to goals from Lukaku and Carrasco but France ended up winning 3-2! Benzema and Mbappe put them level before a 90th minute winner from Theo Hernandez.

The third place play off between Italy and Belgium is at 2pm GMT tomorrow and the final between Spain and France is at 7.45pm, the finals have been fantastic so far!

Nations League returns this week, although I don't really think many people care about it anymore TBH.

Kevin De Bruyne mentioned in an interview yesterday that Nations League matters the least as the players have had a long hard season, he's got a point. But most of the nations are playing four matches in the competition in the next fortnight.

Kevin De Bruyne mentioned in an interview yesterday that Nations League matters the least as the players have had a long hard season, he's got a point. But most of the nations are playing four matches in the competition in the next fortnight.
The argument that the Nations League is "unimportant" makes no sense. If it's so unimportant, then teams taking part in it can afford to change things up, by using different players, testing new formations, etc in a competitive environment, instead of being limited to friendlies, Euro/WC qualifiers and the main competitions themselves.

Each national team has the choice to either take it seriously, and play their best eleven, or they can simply use different players. The format of this tournament is actually important for smaller teams, that end up playing with teams of their level, instead of being battered 5-0 or more by the "big teams" in the Qf games.

Tonight England lost 4-0 at home to Hungary, now I didn't see the game but from what I gather it was as bad as it sounds...

Tonight England lost 4-0 at home to Hungary, now I didn't see the game but from what I gather it was as bad as it sounds...
I didn't see the match, but there's a 3-hr extended highlights special on Scottish TV tonight.

Here's a little round up of the recent Nations League stuff.

Current holders France cant qualify for the knockouts as they sit bottom of their group with no wins from four, Denmark sit top of the group with Croatia and Austria.

Speaking of teams with no wins from four I have to mention England who also are winless with only one goal scored which was a penalty, they also suffered an embarrassing 4-0 home loss to Hungary who perhaps surprisingly sit top of the group which also contains Germany and Italy, it was a dismal period for England and pressure is on Southgate with the World Cup around the corner.

As for the other home nations Wales are bottom of their group which contains Netherlands, Belgium and Poland. Scotland and Ireland are in the same group and Ireland beat Scotland 3-0 in Dublin, Northern Ireland sit third in their group with Greece, Kosovo and Cyprus. Northern Ireland are winless in Nations League games since the tournament started and that's 14 games.

Elsewhere Kazakhstan looks set to be promoted to the division B section with the likes of Norway, Ukraine, Bosnia, Iceland etc. Kazakhstan are top of their group very comfortably.

As you know Russia have been banned so aren't taking part, their group is now a three team with Israel, Iceland and Albania.

The group stage concludes during the next international break in September, which is the last break before the World Cup.

Nations League returns from tonight, it's the last group games before the semifinals and final.

It's also the last international break before the World Cup.

England have been relegated following tonight's defeat to Italy, winless in five and the only other nation not to score from open play in that time is San Marino...

Doesn't bode well for Qatar.

Last edited:
Croatia and Netherlands have both qualified for the semifinals after tonight's results.

Wales have been relegated after losing to Poland.

Its the finals of this years tournament this week. Netherlands v Croatia is on Wednesday and Spain v Italy on Thursday, no idea when the final is but I'm assuming its Sunday. All matches held in the Netherlands.

Spain won the third Nations League beating Croatia 4-3 on penalties.

Latest Posts

Back