Ugly, weird, silly, and just plain stupid car rebadges

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 287 comments
I don't think anyone posted one of these here, so here it is.
Volkswagen-Taro.jpg
This is a VW Taro, looks familiar doesn't it?

Well that's because you, and others know this as a Toyota Hilux, but in some areas of South America, Africa and Europe, it was sold as a VW, since they have more recognition there.

I don't think anyone posted one of these here, so here it is.
Volkswagen-Taro.jpg
This is a VW Taro, looks familiar doesn't it?

Well that's because you, and others know this as a Toyota Hilux, but in some areas of South America, Africa and Europe, it was sold as a VW, since they have more recognition there.
*cough*

taro9-jpg.749540

Toyota Hilux built in Hanover and sold as the Volkswagen Taro.

If someone made a list of cars that just kept being produced long after other cars were replaced with new generations, I'm guessing a good chunk of that list would be Nissans.
On top of my head would be this, Nissan Pickup D22. They offered this all the way to 2016, even when the more modern Navara/Frontier D40 and later D23 existed. Funny thing is that these were more popular than both of the Navara's overhere somehow.

upload_2021-4-4_19-8-42.png

Of course, we aren't forgetting the Y61 Patrol Safari "4800 VTC" which's still sold in 2021 for certain mall crawlers offroaders.

upload_2021-4-4_19-12-50.png

I don't dislike it but the prices for one of these brand new is ridiculously overpriced. $40-50K for one.

Nissan isn't alone for sure, Toyota still offers the aging FJ Cruiser and 70 Series Land Cruiser in the GCC as well as the Sequoia and Tundra in North America. Mitsubishi just recently stopped making the Pajero.
------
We went way offtopic so let's instead shift our attention towards this.

upload_2021-4-4_19-34-22.png

Rebadged Citroën/Peugeot Vans as Toyota Proace.

Here's three new rebadges for me. These was the children of United Australian Automobile Industries, a joint venture between Holden and Toyota that lasted from 1987 to 1996. First is the Toyota Lexcen, clearly a rebadged Holden Commodore.

Toyota-lexcen-7-5381.jpg

There was also the Holden Nova, a rebadged US-spec Camry.

1996_Holden_Apollo_%28JP%29_SLX_sedan_%282015-07-10%29_01.jpg

holden-apollo-16529.jpg

And then the Holden Nova, a rebadged US-spec Corolla.

Here's three new rebadges for me. These was the children of United Australian Automobile Industries, a joint venture between Holden and Toyota that lasted from 1987 to 1996. First is the Toyota Lexcen, clearly a rebadged Holden Commodore.

Toyota-lexcen-7-5381.jpg

holden-apollo-16529.jpg

I don't understand why they did this. Having a Commodore in a Toyota showroom and a Camry with a Corolla in a Holden showroom was silly, and sales were poor as a result. It was a shameless attempt to generate extra sales and all it did was confuse people. You don't see many Apollos, Lexcens or Novas on the road these days but you still see plenty of Commodores, Camrys and Corollas on the road.

Toyota-lexcen-7-5381.jpg

holden-apollo-16529.jpg

The Camry variant is called Apollo, no?

I don't understand why they did this. Having a Commodore in a Toyota showroom and a Camry with a Corolla in a Holden showroom was silly, and sales were poor as a result. It was a shameless attempt to generate extra sales and all it did was confuse people. You don't see many Apollos, Lexcens or Novas on the road these days but you still see plenty of Commodores, Camrys and Corollas on the road.
Look up the Button car plan.

the issue is when you rebadge toyotas you're rebadging one of the strongest brands with the strongest model lineup to somethiing... weak

everyone knows what a RAV4 is

I cannot believe anyone does not know what a HILUX is.

Also of note is that the Xtrail is LARGELY the Mitsubishi Outlander and also the Renault Koleos.

Also the Nissan Navara is the Mercedes X-class and the Mitsubishi Triton.

It's not the most quirky or anything, but I just wanted to post the AE86.

Toyota Sprinter Trueno
1630095716364.png

Toyota Corolla Levin, I honestly only found this wierd to imagine Toyota selling 2 of what are basically the same car as different names. Which is kinda was American car brands do. There was a reason for it though. Something about each one being sold in 2 different stores. In which this I guess applied to the other gens either of course.
1630095654153.png

Then in Australia (I think), they sold the Levin as the Sprinter.
1630095995599.png

and in the USA, we got the AE86 sold as the Corolla GT-S. With pop-up headlights like the Trueno.
1630096094804.png

and okay, this one is sort of different. The Daihatsu Charmant, it's also an AE86 underneath.
1630097306774.png

Chevrolet Epica, a rebadged Daewoo Tosca. It was sold in Europe.
do-cap-image.aspx

And before this Epica, was another one sold for the Canadian Market as a Rebadge Suzuki Verona.
800px-2704-2706_chevrolet_epica1.jpg

do-cap-image.aspx

And before this Epica, was another one sold for the Canadian Market as a Rebadge Suzuki Verona.
That’s not a terribly bad looking car. Why GM decided to rebadge and sell a car in Europe, when a Vauxhall or Opel sedan could’ve worked as well is definitely odd.

For work, I was looking at buying a used cargo van. And the Sprinter model is a strange one. No idea who actually builds them as they are rebadged as everything from a Dodge (what I’m looking at) to a Mercedes, to even a Freightliner model.

4D274E1C-B0A4-416A-8824-BBC2269F0841.jpeg

Last edited:
do-cap-image.aspx

I forget about those dreadful Epica's, one of my teachers had one like 10 years ago. I honestly will never understood why would anyone go for that Daewoo instead of the Malibu or the Lumina back then aside from the lower price. As absurd as that sentence sounds, at least the latter two are the lesser bad of the trio which isn't saying much.

Speaking of GM

Pontiac G3 anyone?

1637270830083.png

Last edited:
I forget about those dreadful Epica's, one of my teachers had one like 10 years ago. I honestly will never understood why would anyone go for that Daewoo instead of the Malibu or the Lumina back then aside from the lower price. As absurd as that sentence sounds, at least the latter two are the lesser bad of the trio which isn't saying much.

Speaking of GM

Pontiac G3 anyone?

View attachment 1094705
Chevy Sonic/Aveo rebadge, yup! Had a friend who had a G5 (rebadge of the Cobalt).

Speaking of GM

Pontiac G3 anyone?

View attachment 1094705
It was definitely sold as the Epica in Australia and New Zealand. The Viva was a Daewoo Lacetti.
THIS was sold as Holden Viva, no?

do-cap-image.aspx

THIS was sold as Holden Viva, no?
This was sold as the Holden Epica

When I sold Holdens, these would be getting traded in for the Cruze.

Last edited:
This was sold as the Holden Epica
Yes, I know that's an Epica, I thought you were talking about the Pontiac G3 that was posted.

Latest Posts

Back