Ugly, weird, silly, and just plain stupid car rebadges

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 287 comments
A rebadged second generation Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero.

17679_loaded.jpg

I know the Lincoln Mark LT was posted here already, but not its predecessor, the Lincoln Blackwood.

1920px-2002_Lincoln_Blackwood_2.jpg

Lincolnblackwood2.jpg

Dig those stripes! The back actually opened like a trunk lid, with swinging doors on the tailgate.

And there was a Cadillac pickup truck of sorts as well, the Escalade EXT, based on the Chevrolet Avalanche.
2nd_Cadillac_Escalade_EXT_--_11-10-2011.jpg

Nowadays, they know better not to put a luxury brand name on trucks, and fill up the regular truck brand with luxury goodies instead.

Randomly found out about this vehicle while helping a co-worker do some research on a first generation BMW X1. Apparently BMW had an EV venture in China called Zinoro. And they rebadged the first generation X1 as the Zinoro 1E.
Zinoro-1E.jpg

bmw-zinoro-gz-2-660x454.jpg

Badge/front-bumper engineering born from the need to keep a brand's CO2 emissions down in the EU and UK.

Enter the Suzuki Swace. Based on the Corolla Touring Sports hybrid which is already sold in Europe. I suppose it was a Swift way to lower Suzuki's fleet emissions.
2021-Suzuki-Swace-Euro-spec-4.jpg
2021-Suzuki-Swace-Euro-spec-6.jpg

One that puzzeled me back in the day and it still goes on with the German brands:

Mercedes-Benz 500E
View attachment 958652

It was renamed/rebadged an E500.

Just naming conventions across the whole Mercedes range. It started when the 190E was replaced by the C-class. Mid way through this E-class's lifecycle Mercedes moved all their segment markers in front of their engine-sizing markers, hence the 200E became the E200 etc.

Randomly found out about this vehicle while helping a co-worker do some research on a first generation BMW X1. Apparently BMW had an EV venture in China called Zinoro. And they rebadged the first generation X1 as the Zinoro 1E.
Zinoro-1E.jpg

bmw-zinoro-gz-2-660x454.jpg

I know I'm responding to an older post, but I don't often see this thread. The 1E wasn't really a rebadge, I know it looks like it is, but there was never a corresponding model from BMW, the 1E had a primitive EV powertrain, the first gen X1 didn't.

It had a follow up, the 60H, this was more rebadge since it was pretty much an X1 25e ...

zinoro-60h-phev-2017-010.jpg

.. though rebadge is perhaps a little harsh given it had quite a few sheet metal changes compared to the F48 X1.

Zinoro is a sub brand of the BMW-Brilliance Automotive alliance.

I just learned that the US still gets a Yaris hatchback, only that it's a hatchback version of the IA. Which was a Mazda 2.

It's kinda neat knowing that the US sort-of has the Mazda 2 hatchback again, but um...why?
2020-yaris-ogi.jpg

It's kinda neat knowing that the US sort-of has the Mazda 2 hatchback again, but um...why?
If the pandemic didn't happen I was going to get one of these for a daily driver/ commuter car simply because it's so cheap. I honestly kinda like them, but I can't really explain why. Not many new, small, cheap car options anymore, I suppose.

Back