UK Christmas Number 1 - Xfactor PreventionMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alex.
  • 84 comments
  • 6,237 views

Alex.

FEED ME PEOPLE
Premium
Messages
8,835
England
Northamptonshire
Messages
AlexGibbo27
An angry mob of people refusing to be force fed the annual x-factor drivel have united to try and prevent the latest karaoke act from getting the christmas #1 spot. To do so, the facebook group of over 718,000 members are purchasing the song 'Killing In The Name' by Rage Against The Machine from December 13th.

The song is currently #1 on both the itunes, Play and HMV official charts :D and the group has been mentioned on several TV and radio shows. Even Simon Cowell himself has slammed the whole idea, albeit with a terrible argument.


Opinions?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good idea and a great choice of alternative song. Unfortunately i only re-bought the album last month :dunce:
 
I remember listening to Radio 1 chart show when this was originally released as a single. Bruno Brookes obviously hadn't listened to it all the way through before he put it on.... I'm not sure how many 🤬 there were before he managed to switch it off. :lol:
 
I'm a member of the facebook group and bought mine this morning.

Keep in mind that its the single you need to buy not the album, so its 60p (or so) well spent).


Scaff
 
Sorry about the pic Daan, I only left it because they were too small to read.
 
I joined the group a few days ago, and I have downloaded my copy. I will probably get a hard copy too, if I can find one. I heard HMV have been trying to source them.

I am fully behind the idea, I don't partiularly want to see the christmas no.1 to be the 5th x-factor christmas no.1 in a row. :dunce:
 
Simon Cowell: "I think it's quite a cynical campaign geared at me that is actually going to spoil the party for these three."
Nice god given right to the #1 you have there Simon. Party is organised and all they have to do is turn up, right?
 
It's only 29p on Amazon.

But it's seems like all the copies on Itunes are 99p which is unfortunate because my brother only has 93p is his account. Anyway I thought all songs on Itunes were 79p?
 
Simon Cowell: "I think it's quite a cynical campaign..."
Ha! Ha ha! Hahahahahahahahaha! Speaking of cynical campaigns, why does the X Factor finish the week before sodding Xmas?! The X Factor is the single largest "cynical campaign" ever devised to fix the Xmas chart and to maximise profits.
 
The songs on amazon don't count toward the chart. Anything under 40p does not count and the best place to buy is here: http://www.7digital.com/artists/rag...against-the-machine-3/02-Killing-In-The-Name/

They have lowered the price :trouble:

:nervous: What? So all the downloads for Mr Cowell don't count on Amazon as well?

Do you have a link to say anything under 40p or songs that are bought from Amazon don't count because they must be one of the top sites in the UK.

EDIT: Just found this: http://www.theofficialcharts.com/docs/getting_your_singles_online.pdf seems they can allow songs below 40p at there digression if they are over 32p so 29p seems unlikely to be allowed and to put the icing on the cake as you say Amazon don't appear to be on the list of websites that are included in the charts.........:ouch:

Also annoyingly the most popular version of this song on Spotify is £1.20! The 50p one is buried elsewhere.
 
Last edited:
I joined the group awhile back, I'm yet to download it but I will be doing so! It'd be awesome if it did get to Number 1, sadly I don't think it will, hopefully second though. :)
 
Did I mention the group has also raised around £30,000 for chairty? :eek:
 
Last edited:
Wait.. I'm lost... did the UK only just hear about this song O.o
 
Wait.. I'm lost... did the UK only just hear about this song O.o
Considering it charted here in 1993 and not in the US, no.
 
Please UK, make this stop before it spreads here.(which they are in discussions to do).

Maybe we should all get together and do one of those collaborative tribute songs.
 
Just bought my copy. The CD version goes on sale tomorrow for the xfactor winner, so RATM have work to do. :mad:
 
I won't be buying into this for one simple reason.

RATM are signed to EPIC who are a subsidary company of Sony. Sony are promoting this years X Factor winner. It's the not singer that we should be boycotting it's the record labels that promote the artists.

Would have been a better idea to pick a random artist/band from iTunes who isn't signed to a major record label.
 
Either way somone else is profiting by people spending more money.

And either way I just did my part for redistributing the wealth.
 
I won't be buying into this for one simple reason.

RATM are signed to EPIC who are a subsidary company of Sony. Sony are promoting this years X Factor winner. It's the not singer that we should be boycotting it's the record labels that promote the artists.

Would have been a better idea to pick a random artist/band from iTunes who isn't signed to a major record label.

Indeed! It's hardly the most clever way to rage against the machine...
 
The rage was to stop xfactor gaining the coveted spot and increased media attention rather than stop them and their businessmen gaining money. We wanted a song to be at #1 not a karaoke act and RATM seemed the perfect choice to the creators and 730,000 agree, it would seem.
 
Indeed! It's hardly the most clever way to rage against the machine...

Far from it. Having RATM as Sony's best selling Christmas single, and therefore beating their very own heavily marketed X-Factor single, is a great way to rage. 👍
 
The number of people buying the X Factor single won't change, it may even sell more due to the competition from RATM. This whole event only creates more coverage for the X Factor. The sad fact is that the UK top 40 is made up of quite alot of junk so the best thing to do is to simply ignore it.

Sony executives will have a nice Christmas bonus this year.
 
Last edited:
I won't be buying into this for one simple reason.

RATM are signed to EPIC who are a subsidary company of Sony. Sony are promoting this years X Factor winner. It's the not singer that we should be boycotting it's the record labels that promote the artists.

Would have been a better idea to pick a random artist/band from iTunes who isn't signed to a major record label.

Not to mention, who owns the record label that publishes X Factor music? Right, Cowell. Who bought it off him? Sony.
So, its just one big ploy by Cowell and Sony to push sales, regardless if its X Factor crap or not.

This is a disgrace to RATM's name, this is exactly the kind of thing they detest.

Cowell's comments are quite amusing actually, seeing as he is saying them tongue in cheek to push this.

Really, we should setup our own one, and push the sales of a far greater song - Europe's Final Countdown! :p
 
This is a disgrace to RATM's name, this is exactly the kind of thing they detest.

Which is obviously why Tom Morello himself is supporting the movement.

From what I can see it was never about boycotting the record company or even Cowell, it was showing that not everyone watches or will let X Factor get to the top for the 4th or 5th year in a row. I think most people want to see something different as number 1 now, and this is a step in getting there. The bookies have recently considering stopping betting for Christmas Number 1 simply due to the fact it is almost certain that X Factor will get No.1 spot. This is the first competition they've had in ages. And so far it's leaning in the direction of RATM according to many different sources.
 
So, if you select a song that's unbroadcastable as number 1, what do they play? That's right, #2.

Ghandi had it right: Passive resistance is the way forward. Sony win either way, and all that you're doing is encouraging these pathetic competitions (like the one last year with the original version of the song I can't remember).

The way to make this crap go away is to not watch the show, not vote on the show, not buy the advertiser's products, and not buy the records. And if the record company puts up a sham competitor, don't buy that either.

Be Noel Coward's old trout: don't rise to the bait.
 
Which is obviously why Tom Morello himself is supporting the movement.

From what I can see it was never about boycotting the record company or even Cowell, it was showing that not everyone watches or will let X Factor get to the top for the 4th or 5th year in a row. I think most people want to see something different as number 1 now, and this is a step in getting there. The bookies have recently considering stopping betting for Christmas Number 1 simply due to the fact it is almost certain that X Factor will get No.1 spot. This is the first competition they've had in ages. And so far it's leaning in the direction of RATM according to many different sources.

Tom is not the band though, its quite clear he's been happy for money from anywhere for a while.

I don't honestly care about who is number 1, I don't watch any of it and I don't listen to any of it. But I think its rather blind for people to spend money like that for such a cause.
At least some of it is going to charity though, but really it should be all of it.
 
Surely it is not the institution of the great British Christmas #1 that they are trying to protect, is it? As if it really needs to be said, when it comes to our Christmas musical tastes, the public of Great Britain should really be standing in a dock in The Hague, behind a two inch thick layer of bullet proof glass, charged with crimes against humanity. The X Factor winners, in comparison, are like the brush strokes of Matisse.
 
If you buy into this your simply endorsing everything that is wrong with the chart system. It's all based on marketing and the number of sales rather than the quality of the music.
 
RATM quality of music > XFactor. We're trying to get a good song to number one instead of the latest novelty karaoke act.
 
Back