UK Christmas Number 1 - Xfactor PreventionMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alex.
  • 84 comments
  • 6,237 views
RATM quality of music > XFactor. We're trying to get a good song to number one instead of the latest novelty karaoke act.

I don't like the song. It's becoming a novelty song by people buying it just to get it to number 1. That's how it'll be remembered, the song that stopped the Xfactor from getting to number 1.
 
RATM quality of music > XFactor. We're trying to get a good song to number one instead of the latest novelty karaoke act.

^ This.

Doesn't really matter whose pocket the money from the sales eventually ends up in (the irony is that this is been discussed on a web forum dedicated to what is ultimately another Sony product), the point is that people are trying stop a bland, generic battery farm produced record from a position in the charts they feel by rights should be theirs, by a sweary and very anti-establishment song which is the antithesis of the whole X-Factor ideal and the usual Christmas No1 theme.
 
RATM quality of music > XFactor.
I can't argue with that! Although as Mark suggests, it is being used as an anthem for those who think they are smashing the system (,man) when infact they are doing the exact opposite.
 
^ This.

Doesn't really matter whose pocket the money from the sales eventually ends up in (the irony is that this is been discussed on a web forum dedicated to what is ultimately another Sony product), the point is that people are trying stop a bland, generic battery farm produced record from a position in the charts they feel by rights should be theirs, by a sweary and very anti-establishment song which is the antithesis of the whole X-Factor ideal and the usual Christmas No1 theme.

Does RATM really deserve to be at the top of the charts? I don't think so. Do any of the songs that hit No 1 actually deserve to be there? Maybe one or two.

Looking back this year at the numbers 1's I can only really think of two songs that deserve to be there. Maybe Coldplay with Viva La Vida and Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire.

Both songs suffer from the same problem - they are being marketed to hit no.1 - based not on the quality of the song but because of some underlying motive.
 
Last edited:
Does RATM really deserve to be at the top of the charts? I don't think so. Do any of the songs that hit No 1 actually deserve to be there? Maybe one or two.

Looking back this year at the numbers 1's I can only really think of two songs that deserve to be there. Maybe Coldplay with Viva La Vida and Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire.

Both songs suffer from the same problem - they are being marketed to hit no.1 - based not on the quality of the song but because of some underlying motive.

'Killing in the name of' is a great song, sung with genuine emotion and conviction. Unlike the karaoke dross that is the X-Factor.

Every record released is done so for the same underlying motive, and that's to make the artists and record label money. The quality of a song has rarely been reflected in the Top 40 Singles Chart, it's always been about fads and marketing, as least as far back as i can remember, and certainly much more so in the past 15 years or so since the death of the 7" vinyl single.
 
I just feel the song is being placed in the same "league" as the X Factor single by having this campaign. It would have been better to have chosen a truly bad song to show people that the charts are not representative of the quality of the songs, instead by the sales figures they have produced by strategic marketing.
 
If you buy into this your simply endorsing everything that is wrong with the chart system. It's all based on marketing and the number of sales rather than the quality of the music.
And here's where you're letting your taste in music get in the way of the facts.

You can argue that an artist gets to a point where their music gets sales purely on reputation, yes.

But what about debut artists? Lady Gaga has come from being unknown to having 3 number ones this year. That may very well be because of marketing but you can't market a new song from a new artist to number one if it's no good unless they have something like Xfactor behind them.

Other artists like Clavin Harris and Dizzee Rascal have also had some good hits. And yes, both have had to adapt slightly to make their music mainstream, but that doesn't always mean dumbing down.

Take your example of Kings of Leon. In my opinion they haven't changed musically from their previous albums, but their latest music is far, far better produced so that the lyrics can be (slightly) better heard and aren't merely mumblings.
 
And here's where you're letting your taste in music get in the way of the facts.

You can argue that an artist gets to a point where their music gets sales purely on reputation, yes.

But what about debut artists? Lady Gaga has come from being unknown to having 3 number ones this year. That may very well be because of marketing but you can't market a new song from a new artist to number one if it's no good unless they have something like Xfactor behind them.

Other artists like Clavin Harris and Dizzee Rascal have also had some good hits. And yes, both have had to adapt slightly to make their music mainstream, but that doesn't always mean dumbing down.

Take your example of Kings of Leon. In my opinion they haven't changed musically from their previous albums, but their latest music is far, far better produced so that the lyrics can be (slightly) better heard and aren't merely mumblings.

Don't get me wrong, I like some chart music and as a DJ I have to know what the latest songs are to keep up with my clients requests. You mentioned Calvin Harris, Dizzee Rascal & Lady Gaga who have released some good songs (and written and produced those songs). The X Factor winner is a glorified Karaoke singer, no doubt about that.

I can understand the point of the campaign, to stop the X Factor from dominating the charts every Christmas. I can also partially understand the song choice but felt it was done an impulse and wasn't really thought through properly hence the reason why so many people believe it's a waste of time buying the song.

Choosing a well known cheesy Christmas song such as something by Cliff Richard (EMI) would have done the trick.
 
Looking back this year at the numbers 1's I can only really think of two songs that deserve to be there. Maybe Coldplay with Viva La Vida

The one they stole from Joe Satriani?


I don't care what's Christmas number 1. We've had Mr. Blobby, Bob the Builder, three successive years of the Spice Girls, bloody Westlife, the dirge charity single from Band Aid thrice, Cliff Richard thrice, Whitney Bloody Houston, Renee and Renato, Michael Jackson's "Earth Song", the Beatles four times (and I hate the Beatles) and, lest we forget, Lily the Pink.

Excluding Band Aid, the last time a Christmas #1 even had Christmas in the title was Shakin' Stevens in 1985, and the only two Christmas #1s ever I'd give room to on a Christmas CD are that and Slade's "Merry Xmas Everybody" (Mud's #1 the following year is too depressing).


Which all begs the question... what's the point of Christmas #1 being so notable if it has nothing at all to do with Christmas?
 

Which all begs the question... what's the point of Christmas #1 being so notable if it has nothing at all to do with Christmas?
It is iconic of the consumer society and consumer event that is Xmas, duh :D
 
This is a disgrace to RATM's name, this is exactly the kind of thing they detest.

I'm not so sure that's the case. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8415750.stm

Everyone has their reasons for buying the single this week, mine's fairly straight forward, I dont want to see the x-factor cruise to the no.1 spot for the 5th year running, and I much prefer the RATM song.

Who and where the money goes to is largely irrelevant in my eyes.
 
I'm not so sure that's the case. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8415750.stm

Everyone has their reasons for buying the single this week, mine's fairly straight forward, I dont want to see the x-factor cruise to the no.1 spot for the 5th year running, and I much prefer the RATM song.

Who and where the money goes to is largely irrelevant in my eyes.

Exactly people are looking into this too deeply. It's not about record companies it's purely about stopping the X-factor winner getting yet another Christmas number 1.









*Also the Miley Cyrus version is better!
 
Miley Cyrus covered Killing in the name of?
 
This is a disgrace to RATM's name, this is exactly the kind of thing they detest.

Tom is not the band though, its quite clear he's been happy for money from anywhere for a while.

Its not however just Tom, but the whole band, as you can hear in the Radio 5 Interview they did....


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiQPqmYE1A
(Warning - The BBC asked the band not to swear on air - silly thing to do really - contains very rude words - don't click if you are easily offended).



Scaff
 
"Joe McElderry
Joe is your winner! Check out the official site and buy Joe's single
www.Joe-Music.com"

Ha! I see the adverts are relevant on here.
 
To sum up my thoughts: who cares about the politics of it all, it's just an opportunity for a band who actually make(/made) good music to get an Xmas number one, rather than Cowell's manufactured dross. I'd be delighted if Killing gets the number one. It'll make me smile. Christmas number ones usually just make me cringe/want to punch the protagonist in the face.
 
To begin with, please don't make multiple accounts with this, there's no reason why all 900,000 can't create one account and the charts company cant hassle us about bulk buying!

If you don't have a Credit Card and want to support Rage for free, there's still a way and I have confirmed with the Charts Company that its eligible!*


1) Go to http://www.nokiamusic.co.uk/ Download and install the player on the main page insuring you select UK when it gives you the setup options!

2) Open the program and click "Join Now", Click "Join Nokia Music", fill out the details to create the account (No credit card details are needed)

4) Go to the main Store page and to the left you will see a box that says "Redeem Pin" Click on "Continue"

5) Enter ONE random of these codes, doesn't matter which one! Each one will give you £4 free credit and that's all you need to buy all 5 versions of the song, you can get up to £16 worth if you use all the codes, but please don't as Nokia may pull it if its abused!

WQLN-WDTM-V4J4-6GZZ
MJYM-JM2R-DWVQ-6PYG
GGP6-XC53-YYFL-PHM6
VLBV-MPBX-XDNQ-F79V

6) Search for: Rage Against The Machine - Killing in the name of

7) Click the Orange down arrow next to each of the songs, then click the blue tick.

Congratulations you have just contributed [=

Thanks to the others who found this method! Now lets spread the word!
:D
 
Jeez, that really is quite pathetic. Congratulations on proving you can rig the pop charts.
 
Or here's an idea!

Everyone can just go about listening to what they usually like and pay no attention to the charts. Nobody is forcing you to listen to the christmas number one.
 
To begin with, please don't make multiple accounts with this, there's no reason why all 900,000 can't create one account and the charts company cant hassle us about bulk buying!

If you don't have a Credit Card and want to support Rage for free, there's still a way and I have confirmed with the Charts Company that its eligible!*


1) Go to http://www.nokiamusic.co.uk/ Download and install the player on the main page insuring you select UK when it gives you the setup options!

2) Open the program and click "Join Now", Click "Join Nokia Music", fill out the details to create the account (No credit card details are needed)

4) Go to the main Store page and to the left you will see a box that says "Redeem Pin" Click on "Continue"

5) Enter ONE random of these codes, doesn't matter which one! Each one will give you £4 free credit and that's all you need to buy all 5 versions of the song, you can get up to £16 worth if you use all the codes, but please don't as Nokia may pull it if its abused!

WQLN-WDTM-V4J4-6GZZ
MJYM-JM2R-DWVQ-6PYG
GGP6-XC53-YYFL-PHM6
VLBV-MPBX-XDNQ-F79V

6) Search for: Rage Against The Machine - Killing in the name of

7) Click the Orange down arrow next to each of the songs, then click the blue tick.

Congratulations you have just contributed [=

Thanks to the others who found this method! Now lets spread the word!
:D

You can get other tracks using this right?
 
Yes sure, it was just used as a way for people to buy who didn't have credit and debit cards. I only have bought 1 copy still.
 
SNF19BIZAN-280_951687a.jpg


Says it all really.
 
SNF19BIZAN-280_951687a.jpg


Says it all really.

Apart from admitting that he hadn't heard the song despite it being quite a popular song also as it's in a few recent games (San Andreas and a few Guitar Hero games).

His comments that I have heard have been well said unlike the rest of the judges on X factor who like Simon think they have the right to Christmas number one.
 
"They can't be serious! I had no idea what it sounded like. It's dreadful and I hate it. How could anyone enjoy this? Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch?


"I wouldn't buy it. It's a nought out of ten from me. Simon Cowell wouldn't like it. They wouldn't get through to boot camp on The X Factor - they're just shouting."
Source

Well-said, eh? I don't think anyone particularly cares what the grannies will be hearing over Xmas lunch...


If I was in the UK, I'd be buying RATM too, even though I don't like the band. Would sure beat hearing a Miley Cyrus cover on Christmas day :/
 
Source

Well-said, eh? I don't think anyone particularly cares what the grannies will be hearing over Xmas lunch...


If I was in the UK, I'd be buying RATM too, even though I don't like the band. Would sure beat hearing a Miley Cyrus cover on Christmas day :/

:banghead: :yuck: 👎

Damn I had respect for him...What a fool! Now where's the cheapest place to buy the RATM track?
 
To be fair to him, he's just playing the game, no doubt he has been advised to 'slam' the RATM effort and the sun surely played their part in trying to make joe sound like he hated the song.

Joe actually seems like a nice guy, but being a nice guy alone doesn't mean he deserves the no.1 spot this christmas. I would still rather see RATM at the top of the charts this festive season, if purely for the comedy value alone.
 
If Zack De La Rocha was pictured throwing darts at a picture of joe there would be a media outrage...

EDIT: Then again Zack would do it the guy in person :lol:
 
Last edited:
Bought it finally. I needed this song anyway. :)
 
Back