UK, JPN drivers are better than US drivers?

• Thread starter sangbyung
  • 58 comments
I've had this philosophical discussion with many racer friends (fyi I currently race or have raced snowboards, skateboards, mountain bikes, road bikes and am a runner and cross country skier most at very high levels, semi-pro to pro) about how Americans don't understand racing.

I'll set aside endurance related race sports (i.e. running, cycling, cross country skiing, etc) and focus just on speed events for this discussion.

In the US racing is all about "the show", not so much on technique and pure speed. Look at the state of what snowboard racing (and to a lesser degree ski racing) has become in the US. It's something more akin to roller-derby than anything. It's the difference between the X-Games and the Olympics. One is about crashes and "the show", forced drama and pointless actions and the other is about precision, training and endurance. I'm not saying boarder-cross athletes don't train, they do, but even the top of the top in that respective race series (snowboard or skier-cross) will say it's much less intensive than proper board/ski racing. I had a chance to talk to Daron Rahlves about this last season (FYI he is a ex FIS world cup ski racer, next to Bode Miller and Olympic former favorite who retired from WC racing and is now racing skier-cross events in the X-Games). He told me that his level of training now is less than half of what it was when he was on the top end of the FIS WC tour. In fact most of his "training" is just going out and skiing with his buddies and doing a few hours a week in the gym in strength training. Well under the 8-10 hours a day a FIS WC skier trains (in the gym and on the hill).

More related look at the state of motorsport in the USA. I won't poo-poo NASCAR or Indy car drivers saying they are hacks. They aren't. But you can't compare the conditioning, training dedication and overall skill it takes to drive in a top US series to even a feeder series in Europe (i.e. NASCAR or Indy Cars vs. GP2 or most touring car series, not even F1). Road racing in the USA is a sideshow at best compared to ovals and alot of that has to do with "the show" (i.e. passing, crashes, drama).

Look at the other popular thing that passes for motorsport in the USA. Drag racing. Again...drama, crashes...a "good show".

Americans generally like "power", brute-force over finesse. Compare American football to soccer to see a clear difference in priorities or American tennis players to European (i.e Roddick vs. Fedder). Generally bigger, stronger and usually dumber is rewarder in US athletics (there are opposites to this in the US but they are far from the norm)

I've come to this conclusion over the years. Europeans "get" racing. Racing and the discipline it takes go back a long time in Europe and European tradition. Europeans like racing most things (ever see Semi-truck racing in Europe?) and racing is as big (if not bigger in some places) than stick & ball sports. Ski racers in Switzerland or Austria are as big, if not bigger, than NFL stars in the US. Therefore the training and discipline required to be at the very top level of racing (any sport) is rewarded. But beyond that Europeans generally appreciate the finesse it takes in sport, over brute force that is. Watch a F1 race with your typical American NASCAR fan and they will drone on how boring it is, no passing blah blah blah...they don't see all the finesse on track (generally they don't see the finesse on track in a NASCAR race either)... most Europeans will "get" it when they see it though, even if they aren't a fan of said sport/race.

As for Asia. Racing doesn't have a long tradition there, any kind of racing (motorsport goes back to maybe the 60s and then only in Japan and mildly). But what id deeply set in most asian cultures, especially Japanese, is a focus on discipline and self control along with sacrifice. F1 has had many Japanese drivers, but never any really GOOD drivers. That comes down more to the tradition and funding that dedication and drive. In racing where Asian athletes have come to the fore-front they have dominated (what comes to mind are mostly endurance sports though, which is all discipline and dedication). In relation to video games it's no surprise Japanese gamers are some of the best in the world. In an activity where almost superhuman sacrifice and discipline (almost to the point of fanaticism) matters I'll always put my money on the Japanese guy. That sort of dedication goes back to almost the founding of Japanese culture (and further back in Chinese culture).

So with Gran Turismo you have two things working against most American players. Europeans have a love, understanding and dedication of road racing and Japanese players have a fanatical dedication to task (video game in this case) that together spell doom for American GT players. Even more so they doom casual gamers from remotely competing with the top racers in the GT world. But then again that is true with most things. The local fast racer at your local ski hill or track wold get destroyed when up against a FIS world cup racer or a Schumi. That is the parallel we have in the GT community.

That isn't to say there aren't elite GT American racers, there are, but of the top 20 known names in OLR in the GT world maybe 2-3 are American (?).

Personally, I consider myself fast and better than average as a racer in GT. Back in the GT3/GT4 days I was within a second of the true elites in OLR and more recently I'm generally within 2 seconds of the elites, getting closer than that takes such dedication and time that unless I do have time I stop there. I have much less time to spend in GT now than I did back in GT3, but I'm no less dedicated to GT than I used to be. It's a matter of priorities.

Sure the physics are separating the casual gamer from the dedicated racer more and more but as with any elite level activity that is always the case. The playing field is level in the GT world, just because you aren't willing to put in the time and effort doesn't mean it's not far. You just have different priorities.

You wouldn't expect to go from the couch (metaphorically of course, let's say weekend warrior enthusiast level) to competing with whatever top level athlete you admire? Why would you expect the same in a video game (not just GT, but modern complex game)?

What is so appealing about the GT OLR world is that anyone from the casual gamer to the talentless enthusiast and everyone in-between can race and gauge themselves against world cup level elites. There are very few activities and even fewer sports than that is possible.

What makes an elite in the first place? Training, dedication and discipline (true of any activity done at an elite level). In endurance sports your own genetics can be a limiting factor but they don't apply here in the GT world. With a in-depth understanding of the physics of driving a car, reading a track and picking race lines - all of which can be "learned" - and then hours upon hours of practice, self analyzation and still more practice any of us can become one of these elite GT racers. Your own genetics don't play a role, though reflexes do, but given sim GT racing doesn't have g-loading it's to a much lesser desgree. Yes, maybe you need to invest in the right tools (i.e. a wheel in GT) but that is true in any sport/activity. In fact the cost for entry to be a elite racer in GT is low. You really only need a wheel (and there are one or two elite GT racers who still use a DS3). The big flat screen TV, race seat, etc etc aren't needed (though they can help).

There is a thread in the Prologue section asking racers to post pictures of their race setups. I remember being shocked to see a picture of one of the elite guy's setups which basically was a wheel cobbled together on a little desk with a 13" SD TV in effectively a little closet, yet he still managed those times he did. Look through that thread and you'll see a few posts from those elite names with their race setups (and alot of fancy race seats and 52" HDTVs of people 10+ secs off pace). It's very enlightening to look through and shows you that the field to be a elite, or even competitive (top 200) racer in GT is very even and flat.

It all comes down to the individual in the end.

Not everyone wants to sit for hours upon hours shaving .001 of their time. Not everyone has the time to even do that. But those that have the discipline, practice and time do and it's amazing to see what they are capable of. These GT elites are doing nothing special, nothing anyone can't do, and they aren't cheating. They are just more practiced.

Yes, maybe natural talent plays a role, but much less so in GT OLR. Natural talent comes in in real life or in tournament play. Think of it this way. As many fastest laps as Schumi had in F1 were any of them ideal or perfect? No, even Schumi would say so. But his magic came in being able to wrench those laps out of the car in a limited amount of time (as with any top racer or athlete respectively). In GT OLR it might take elite racer A say 4 hours to set that amazing hotlap time (just an example here) but it may take the elite racer B 40 hours to set the same time and racer C 400 hours to set a time 4 seconds slower. Given enough time and practice all three racers could most likely reach the same time (it's just one might go crazy before they did). So elite racer A and B meet in a head to head tournament (I excluded racer C in this example because they wouldn't make it to begin with). Elite racer A will generally come out on top given they can jump in faster and set that fast time (I will say natural talent/reflexes maybe comes into play here, or is it simply conditioning/practice?). In time limited racing, be it real racing or head to head GT racing the more practiced (let's say talented - be in natural or learned) will come generally come out on top. In real racing things like the ability to suppress fear, withstand g-loads, top level conditioning and even eye-sight have greater roots in natural ability/talent... but in simulation (Gran Turismo in the PS3) the field is for-the-most-part level.

When it comes to chili cook-offs & pie-eating contests the U.S. rocks! 👍

I would agree with pretty much everything you're saying. The U.S. tends to favours spectacle, along with the money that brings, rather than genuine athletic accomplishment. The exception would be the Big Three sports in the U.S. which have a real, deep-rooted place in the American psyche & require a very high level of training & genetic ability - albeit somewhat focused on the "genetic extremes". What is unique about the U.S., is it is big enough & rich enough, to have developed its own sports somewhat separately from the rest of the world, & then has the chutzpa to refer to the final of a national competition as the "World Series"!

I'm not sure I would agree that the average Joe has the ability to excel at GT5 if they only put enough time & dedication into it. The genetics may be less obvious than, say, Shaquille O'Neal's, but I suspect it takes a special aptitude to be one of the top GT racers in the world. The fact that there are so many fast Japanese GT racers probably speaks to the dedication & "training" (otherwise known as "time-wasting" ;)) put in by these Japanese kids (I'm assuming, perhaps inaccurately, that they're mostly "kids".)

I dont know about all that...

Im 4th in the world and like 50 somethin last time i checked on the US time trials. I think the US is more competitive than anywhere else.

When it comes to chili cook-offs & pie-eating contests the U.S. rocks! 👍

Don't forget stealing Eergh, making money, and of course war.

In all seriousness though, as long as we are only speaking of gt leader boards, the U.S. is lacking in representation. There are probably a good percentage of Americans capable of competing on the highest level but are most likely persuing something else. Aside from Dan and a few other Aussies, the most gt talent I'm familiar with comes from Europe.

It's an enigma, we're uber lazy but isn't playing video games a lazy man's hobby? :lol:

I remember that for the PGR3 global tournament the world was split into europe, aisa and america. Asia was the slowest by far simply because of the lack of interest in xbox in asia. PGR and xbox was huge in america but the time to get into the finals in america was far slower than europe. I have noticed the same trend across many competitions. The us has some great and very fast racers, but in general the talent seems to be in europe. Asia is a little disinterested.

Tetradic. Thanks for a great post and you and Biggles are the sort of persons that inhabit this board I'm here to stay.

Analysis of culture differences is an ongoing hobby of mine and this concept of Americans enjoying more the show than the speed makes perfect sense. Although I can't quite grasp why NASCAR's oval racing is deemed such a spectacle. Is it prone to producing dramatic crashes?

Following that logic, how big is drifting in the USA, as the ultimate expression of showmanship over speed you'd expect it to be popular? And one would expect Q-cars not to be common either (although, how would you know ;-)

(and one small note; it's a Foreword in this context not a Forward)

The beauty of NASCAR is its seeming simplicity. Under the surface, it's fiercely competitive, with teams spending enormous sums of money on trimming their cars within the allowed NASCAR "template" to eke out an aerodynamic edge, or working feverishly to get the car set up "just right". On the surface, it's nearly exactly identical cars with nearly exactly identical power racing in a format that keeps racing close. Winning a NASCAR race is like winning a 32 player game of Chess. It's a mixture of luck, strategy and skill. And watching the drafting battles is actually immense fun.

And it lends itself well to a live audience. In F1, if you're lucky, your thousand dollar seat will let you see three or four corners. On a NASCAR oval, you can see almost everything from the grandstands... which makes it more fun to watch in person.

I'm not a NASCAR junkie, but I've watched a few races, and they're always close, always exciting and highly unpredictable. It may not take much skill to "turn left, turn left and turn left some more"... but staying on top of a powerful car while racing within scant millimeters of dozens of other racers? That deserves respect.

I remember that for the PGR3 global tournament the world was split into europe, aisa and america. Asia was the slowest by far simply because of the lack of interest in xbox in asia. PGR and xbox was huge in america but the time to get into the finals in america was far slower than europe. I have noticed the same trend across many competitions. The us has some great and very fast racers, but in general the talent seems to be in europe. Asia is a little disinterested.

Asia is the stronghold of the PS3 and Wii. Those systems produce titles that Asian consumers want, such as Mario games, RPGs and such. There isn't that much interest in PGR3 in Asia.

Same goes with GT... America is split between GT and Forza, PGR, NFS, whatever, so GT's relative market penetration is poor.

What's most impressive is not the fastest time, but the depth of fast times on the Japanese leaderboards.

The Japanese invented the video gaming industry. Sony is one of their flagship corporations. The PS3 is their flagship gaming system. GT is the PS3's flagship racing game. It's understandable that the Japanese would have an extra sense of dedication to GT5TTD.

Tetradic. Thanks for a great post and you and Biggles are the sort of persons that inhabit this board I'm here to stay.

Analysis of culture differences is an ongoing hobby of mine and this concept of Americans enjoying more the show than the speed makes perfect sense. Although I can't quite grasp why NASCAR's oval racing is deemed such a spectacle. Is it prone to producing dramatic crashes?

Following that logic, how big is drifting in the USA, as the ultimate expression of showmanship over speed you'd expect it to be popular? And one would expect Q-cars not to be common either (although, how would you know ;-)

(and one small note; it's a Foreword in this context not a Forward)

Thank you.

Don't get me wrong. Americans love speed. Think drag racing, Bonneville, 200mph+ 3 hour Indy races and of course NASCAR. Even bobsledding has become popular in some circles of the NASCAR world.

Americans might love speed more than any other country. But they want speed from brute force, brute power... not well chosen lines and finesse. Think monster trucks, tractor pulls and the prevalence (still) of giant trucks with giant gas guzzling engines (so you can pull 2 tons!). I'd even lump professional bull riding into that. Power and brute force overcome by brute force. So American.

All the above have a sense of spectacle to them. They are loud, in your face, lots of flames and the chance for amazing crashes and possibly explosions (ever watch NHRA?). Things go boom. Things make noise. You and your buddy can cheer for them and in the end it's one big show (like professional wrestling).

Drifting has caught on because it's sorta the same as the above. Lot's of noise, smoke, brute-force (ie. Viper drift cars), crashes and can be consumed as a big show.

American drifting is very different from it's Japanese big brother. Not that there aren't similarities between the two but drifting a AE86 in a touge and a Viper on a S corner at some track in California are very different things.

That being said drifting is still a niche thing. It's still associated with the import/tuner world (even though it has alot of domestic cars in it now) and is essentially a import itself...from Japan. It doesn't fit the image of grabbing a bud, getting in your pick-up and hanging with your buddies eating McDonalds.

Lastly if you think about all the sports that are popular in the US they are can be easily consumed in a stadium (for the most part, golf might be the one oddball, even then TV makes that one consumable on that level). Even the most popular NASCAR races (ie. Bristol) are in little tiny stadiums where you can sit on a bench and watch with a beer in your hand. Road courses are hard to consume in that manner. Cars flying by every 90-120 seconds isn't as good as the cars always being right there infront of you going in circles (or the guy with the stick/ball running right there in front of you).

Obviously there are people in the US who don't fit into the above descriptions (ie. Me, I'm an American) and there are Europeans and Japanese who love the above as well. Is just common threads of interest though.

I'd wager a bet that people in the US arn't as interested, for 2 reasons;

1) The prize is not GT Academy, it is Indy 500 tickets.

You can bet I'd be fighting for every last .001 of a second if I had that hanging on a stick in front of me :lol: Last I checked I was 64th (probably much lower now) in the US which probably wouldn't make the top 1000 anywhere else :ouch: but I'm sure I could make the top 20 if I put in the laps :sly: Two tickets to Indy is not worth the effort to me and the "runner up prizes" are even more of a joke, 5 free GTPSP downloads will be given away :grumpy: I have a PSP and guess what, I have GTPSP 👎 How about giving us something we don't have...............like GT5 :lol:

I dont know about all that...

Im 4th in the world and like 50 somethin last time i checked on the US time trials. I think the US is more competitive than anywhere else.

How exactly could you be 4th in the world and 50+ in the US? Maybe you're talking about the "rest of the world" leaderboard, which is not at all an indication of global times. You'd have to be faster than 22nd place overall in the US to even be in the top 500 globally. The only real competition in the US is among the top 5 or so overall. I'm 27th overall in the US and I've hardly touched the tuned car. It's definitely not more competitive here than anywhere else.

Some insight into this topic was given on a recent top gear episode where they visited Finland, the home of many great F1/rally and Gran-Turismo drivers. It was very evident that (a) their roads are far more challenging than US freeways and (2) their student driver education programs were light years ahead of what we have here.

Most of the best drivers (real cars and race cars) that I knew growing up were from the country (South Australia). There is just a whole lot more opportunity to (a) learn to drive (on the farms particularly) at a younger age and (b) race around the dirt and backroads that you could never do in the city (because you'd be pulled over within 30s of cranking it up).

Dan (the current Euro #1) lists his current location as Melbourne but I seem to remember he is originally from Ballarat which is more classified as country Victoria than a major city. I don't think that's any coincidence based on what I've seen.

The suggestion that Americans would dominate a Nascar race is ludicrous. Just because we (and I use we as a resident since I'm Australian) watch it on TV doesn't mean we are any more skilled at it, and I won't start a flame war by saying Nascar doesn't require skill but compared to european racing it does require a lot less skill since the lines and speed the car can take is so constrained. To my eye it looks more like a balls-of-brass competition - i.e. am I brave enough to sit at takeoff velocity 2" behind the car in front of me while the guy behind me figures out a way to shunt me off the track without crashing himself.

Although yes American roads do seems alot less challenging to UK, Europe, Japan or Australia. That doesn't account for the many under 18 year olds at the top.

How exactly could you be 4th in the world and 50+ in the US? Maybe you're talking about the "rest of the world" leaderboard, which is not at all an indication of global times. You'd have to be faster than 22nd place overall in the US to even be in the top 500 globally. The only real competition in the US is among the top 5 or so overall. I'm 27th overall in the US and I've hardly touched the tuned car. It's definitely not more competitive here than anywhere else.

Yea i see that now :-P total misunderstanding of the ranking on the JP version lol

I think it does indicate something: Japanese kids are probably more dedicated (& obsessive/compulsive) about GT than in any other country & have put in the time, & developed the skills to make them super-competitive. I've got to guess that prizes are less significant than pride when it comes to motivation ...

I live in the US, and if i had a shot at gt academy my times would be alot faster. I would dedicate alot more time to it. Its not huge concearn of mine to have a fast time on the time trial. I'm back to playing Prologue now. It makes sense that the countries competing for GT Academy have faster times.

Some insight into this topic was given on a recent top gear episode where they visited Finland, the home of many great F1/rally and Gran-Turismo drivers. It was very evident that (a) their roads are far more challenging than US freeways and (2) their student driver education programs were light years ahead of what we have here.

Most of the best drivers (real cars and race cars) that I knew growing up were from the country (South Australia). There is just a whole lot more opportunity to (a) learn to drive (on the farms particularly) at a younger age and (b) race around the dirt and backroads that you could never do in the city (because you'd be pulled over within 30s of cranking it up).

Dan (the current Euro #1) lists his current location as Melbourne but I seem to remember he is originally from Ballarat which is more classified as country Victoria than a major city. I don't think that's any coincidence based on what I've seen.

The suggestion that Americans would dominate a Nascar race is ludicrous. Just because we (and I use we as a resident since I'm Australian) watch it on TV doesn't mean we are any more skilled at it, and I won't start a flame war by saying Nascar doesn't require skill but compared to european racing it does require a lot less skill since the lines and speed the car can take is so constrained. To my eye it looks more like a balls-of-brass competition - i.e. am I brave enough to sit at takeoff velocity 2" behind the car in front of me while the guy behind me figures out a way to shunt me off the track without crashing himself.
I won't start a flame war either.
But I WILL raise you a Jimmy Johnson over a Juan Pablo.

I could be wrong, but I don't think F1 drivers have had much success overall in NASCAR, throughout their history, have they?

Nascar is difficult in different ways than F1 and that is why most europeans like me won't give it too much credit.

I could be wrong, but I don't think F1 drivers have had much success overall in NASCAR, throughout their history, have they?

How many have tried it?

There have been a few = Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti & Juan Pablo Montoya. There have been more that have had success in both open wheel/single seaters and tin top/closed cockpit cars.

Nascar is difficult in different ways than F1 and that is why most europeans like me won't give it too much credit.

There are big differences between a NASCAR (stock car) and F1 (open wheel). NASCAR have not had "stock" cars since 1971 when they use to just put a roll cage in a factory car. For safety reasons the car became tube framed with "stock" body panels welded to them. Now they make all the body panels and nothing comes from the factory so in essence they are true race cars. 40 years ago, all racing depended on mechanical grip. Yes "aerodynamics" were thought of but not much for grip/down force. So it was easier for a racer to go from one form of racing to the other. Now with the aerodynamic down force between the two so different it's much harder.

Here are some numbers to crunch:
Car = NASCAR - F1
Weight = 3400 lbs/1542 kg - 1334 lbs/605 kg
Tire Width = 9 in/229 mm - 14 in/355 mm
Power = 850hp (+/-) - 800hp (+/-)

Keep in mind that a F1 car can produce it's weight in down force at 78mph/125kmh while a NASCAR would probably have to travel at the speed of light to achieve that :lol:

Well that would make for an interesting race if somewhat short. :lol:

Nope, they'd find a way of making it 4 hours long :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all GTPlanet staff, members and visitors.

All the best
Maz (likes NASCAR)

Nope, they'd find a way of making it 4 hours long :D

Maz (likes NASCAR)

Absolutely, it would be a one second race, with four scheduled stops for an hour of commercials and three hours of commentators discussing how incredible it is that a red car came from seventh place to win for only the thirteenth time in the history of NASCAR :-D

That doesn't make any sense. You imply it IS difficult, then state you don't give it any credit.
There have been a few = Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti & Juan Pablo Montoya. There have been more that have had success in both open wheel/single seaters and tin top/closed cockpit cars.
But still nothing compared to any of the NASCAR greats. Nor have any NASCAR drivers had success in F1, though I'm not sure if any have tried.
Absolutely, it would be a one second race, with four scheduled stops for an hour of commercials and three hours of commentators discussing how incredible it is that a red car came from seventh place to win for only the thirteenth time in the history of NASCAR :-D
OK, I'll bite. As opposed to a typical F1 race where the same 2 guys are one and a half minutes in front of everyone else because they have 10X the money?

I don't believe this is a bust on NASCAR or F1 thread, so let's keep it civil now, and everybody stays happy. :)

So if the general consensus is that people are better at GT and/or road racing because of their countries passion for the sport, the general consensus MUST also be that the USA would hold the best NASCAR drivers as well.
Real world racing has also shown these to be true as well.

So if the general consensus is that people are better at GT and/or road racing because of their countries passion for the sport, the general consensus MUST also be that the USA would hold the best NASCAR drivers as well.
Real world racing has also shown these to be true as well.

I would say it's more like the racing back ground of the country you live in or a better way of saying it is what you were raised watching. Back in the mid 60's my Dad use to drag race so that is what I was raised on. I still watch Drag racing but it's not my favorite. I have always loved watching circle track racing whether it be on dirt or tarmac because all the action is right in front of you, especially the short tracks, and that my friends is what most Americans were raised on. Dirt tracks are everywhere here in the states, there is a 3/8's mile (0.6 km) dirt track just down the road from me. It's not that we don't like road racing, it's just not as popular here. There are some great road courses in North America that are used quite frequently by all forms of racing. Although I have raced on the dirt (Moto, Quad's & Stock cars) does that mean I would have an advantage on the dirt? I don't think so because the best talent will always rise to the top :D

I can add another bit to this.
It is undoubtedly considered generally un-cool to love racing games in the US, in the gaming world.
Which probably steers many younger gamers away from racing games from the get-go, as the want to play with their friends, and not get made fun of. Very sad, if you ask me.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I've only met one person that has owned a GT game, and he sucked.

Back