Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
There's still clearly a market for something resembling Top Gear at its peak. While YouTube now offers thousands of hours of somewhat sensible content for petrol heads, there's still room for an entertainment show that can be enjoyed by the family whether or not they're into cars, and that's what TG at it's peak did so well, adventure, adversity, comedy, based around motoring, that's somewhat informative even if sensible consumer advice isn't great prime time entertainment.

It's obvious that presenters are absolutely key to this and I don't think any single combo will stand the test of time indefinitely, diversifying a bit as the post-CHM era did was probably a good idea, but they have to play to these peoples natural ability, and not try and force a certain dynamic just because it worked for a while with CHM.

Chris Harris has been brilliant throughout
Harris is good at what he does, but when TG called for him to deliver a script that portrayed him as a grumpy old man (for example), or a caricature of himself, he was awful - it just wasn't his skillset, he's not an actor. I think it's important for the presenters to be somewhat relatable, and if they don't come across as sincere, it greatly undermines that. Same as Flintoff, delivered pieces to camera were painful, but out on the road his heart and camaraderie were brilliant.

I still think that a Top Gear presented solely by Chris Harris and Rory Reid would have been good.

I think the presenters getting along is one of those things that is only as nessecary as the format needs it to be. Oddly, Fifth Gear had presenters which for the most part got along well with each other yet the show never took advantage of it and stayed with the 1977 Top Gear-esque format. In fact, had Tiff Needell not left Fifth Gear and the show had a more consistent production it could have been a potential alternative to Top Gear, maybe.

Sad to hear of Sir Michael Gambon's passing yesterday, he is something of a Top Gear legend after he nearly flipped the Liana over on the last corner during his guest segment, this was only on the second ever episode of that 2002 revival of the show and it was so talked about at the time that they named the corner after him.

Top Gear has reportedly been cancelled following Freddie's crash earlier this year. Even though I didn't watch it by the end I'm still sad to see it go, and I'm disappointed we won't get to see that reunion segment they had filmed - who was going to be in that again? I'm sure Angela Rippon was meant to be in it but I can't remember who else.

EDIT:

The plot thickens... The BBC are denying that it's been cancelled, rather that they haven't made a decision yet - although I still believe the show will be cancelled.

Last edited:
It's cancelled indefinitely :( Safety first of course and I'm glad Flintoff is (mostly) ok, but what a bummer. Although not as good as prime CHM era the latest trio do genuinely have some fun moments, and Chris Harris is always a treat. Guess we'll just have to get our fill from the infrequent Grand Tour "specials" and whatever Chris is doing on youtube now.

Well to be fair they haven't explicitly said Top Gear is cancelled forever, just that it's on a very long hiatus following the accident. I'm sure it will return one day as it's a very profitable brand for the BBC and I can't see them not using it again.

As I've mentioned before I can definitely see it coming back, maybe in a couple of years or so.

Sad news about the hiatus but not really surprising.

Maybe they could bring back Angela Rippon and call it Strictly Come Driving?

No Way Kg GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

On second thoughts, a show where pro drivers teach a bunch of celebrities how to drive a different racetrack in a different car every week would probably be great to watch :lol:

Last edited:
Has it ever been said exactly what happened to Flintoff, other than him having a crash at (i assume) Dunsfold? - or are the BBC still keeping it all under wraps?

Has it ever been said exactly what happened to Flintoff, other than him having a crash at (i assume) Dunsfold? - or are the BBC still keeping it all under wraps?
Yeh, it's all been very quiet on that front, but I guess the BBC are just respecting his privacy by not disclosing any information on it.

Has it ever been said exactly what happened to Flintoff, other than him having a crash at (i assume) Dunsfold? - or are the BBC still keeping it all under wraps.
He was in a Morgan 3 wheeler and only doing 22mph when it flipped. If I'm remembering right, Hammond used one on a Top Gear feature and even he made it look small. Flintoff is 6' 3"...

No doubt it we'll find out when Flintoff writes a book about it, but I'd imagine the upshot of it all, was that there was no crash structure between his face and the tarmac. That was either a decision or an oversight, in either case, not good.

Back