Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
I take it that it was Hammond's crash that stopped them reshowing S9E1. Surely in like Dave reruns, that could be the section they cut out to fit and breaks in for the 1 hour episode.

I take it that it was Hammond's crash that stopped them reshowing S9E1. Surely in like Dave reruns, that could be the section they cut out to fit and breaks in for the 1 hour episode.
It was. An agreement was made by the producers, cast and BBC when the episode was made that the episode should 'disappear' after it was shown. Even in the show, Richard says "Let's never mention this again."

New series of Top Gear starts tomorrow night, five episodes not the four we had last series, you may have heard that they went to Silverstone during the Grand Prix weekend and we see the results tomorrow, they take part in challenges with Antonio Giovanazzi, Sebastian Vettel and Lando Norris in a Alfa, a McLaren and an Aston Martin. also there is a tribute to legendary Hollywood stuntman Eddie Kidd and Chris has a review of the McLaren 765LT.

Also this series there is a tribute to the DeLorean on his 40th anniversary and they take their first trip abroad during the pandemic when they go to Iceland, its only Paddy and Chris for that one as Freddie got pinged and had to self-isolate.

BBC One, tomorrow night at 8pm.

The segment with Eddie Kidd was absolutely devastating. It was definitely one of the best documentary pieces TG/TGT have ever done.
One of my childhood heroes. It had my eyes watering watching Eddie's eyes light up through the tribute but I didn't need the reminder about the unbelievably stupid stunt that ended it all.

Thought the second episode was pretty good, The Chili thing was pretty funny but I have no idea what its got to do with Caravanning. The Huracan STO test was OK but I think Harris has done better.

Has something happened with Dunsfield? They hardly use it anymore and they still present the show from Television Centre, Do they not have the lease for the Track anymore?

Has something happened with Dunsfield? They hardly use it anymore and they still present the show from Television Centre, Do they not have the lease for the Track anymore?
There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the news, and it does seem like something that would be in a tabloid newspaper. Since they're still in the Television Centre it may be to do with COVID still, but I don't know. It would be sad to say goodbye to the test track. I'd love all of the lap times to be put on the TG website to look at.

Maybe they'll get a new test track at some point. It could be like the existing one or like the Eboladrome, being at an airfield*, but I could equally see it at a race track, like in Top Gear America. Brands Hatch would be a good candidate, although I am biased as it is my favourite real life track.

Quite an enjoyable show tonight, I liked the expedition to Iceland with some staggering scenery and shots and two completely different cars, I also thought Chris and Paddy were good as a two, shame Fred had to self isolate literally the day before filming though.

The Corvette test was perfectly fine but I don't think I will ever get used to Andrew Flintoff doing car reviews for Top Gear, however following the conversation about Dunsfield and the track they actually had the Corvette put a lap in on the track with the Stig (who looked quite skinny!) Must be the first time in at least two years, they also brought the power lap times board back...

Quite an enjoyable show tonight, I liked the expedition to Iceland with some staggering scenery and shots and two completely different cars, I also thought Chris and Paddy were good as a two, shame Fred had to self isolate literally the day before filming though.

The Corvette test was perfectly fine but I don't think I will ever get used to Andrew Flintoff doing car reviews for Top Gear, however following the conversation about Dunsfield and the track they actually had the Corvette put a lap in on the track with the Stig (who looked quite skinny!) Must be the first time in at least two years, they also brought the power lap times board back...
I don't think Freddie is that good as a presenter, he's fine in the challenges but I don't feel he's that used to presenting on camera. Chris Evans was easier to watch (and that's not sarcasm; I thought his reviews were generally quite good). I'm glad to see the test track back, although it's looking as tatty as it did in Series 22, and possibly worse. I hope the test track won't go away, but I guess that's out of the BBC's control.

Tonight's show, Freddie trains to be a pro racing driver, Paddy drives the super rare £4 million Aston Martin Victor and Chris pays tribute to the DeLorean on its 40th anniversary.

BBC One, tonight at 8pm.

The Victor is one of my favourite looking cars, a complete beast. It was nice seeing Freddie taking part in a race. It reminded me of the Silverstone race from many years ago, but I don't think I'm sold yet on the interview format they had - like The Office without the fun characters or humour. The DMC segment, like all of the documentary segments, was really good, although I wish they'd given some attention to the modern DeLoreans.

Great episode last night and arguably the best of the series, The Victor looks astonishing and both Freddie's race driver training and the DeLorean film were well done.

Tonight's episode, the three embark on a challenge to pick three old cars for new young drivers to find out which is best.

It is the last episode in this series however it wont be the last we see of them in 2021, there is a Christmas special and all that is known about it so far is that they buy three cars for each other and go on a yuletide trek in the UK, its on Christmas Eve on BBC One.

Last edited:
I loved the Miura segment, it's such a beautiful car. I also never expected to actually like a Lada, but as it turns out the Niva is pretty respectable.

That was funny, the kid was asking one of the greatest cricketers this country has ever produced if he is a cricket fan!

Fred: 'who do you support?'
Sanath: 'Chennai Super Kings'
Fred: 'I played for them'
Sanath: 'When'
Fred: '2008'
Sanath: 'I was a baby then!

:lol:

Th whole episode was good, Muira segment was fantastic and I didn't know the Ferrari-Lambo rivalry went back that far, I didn't get the paintball thing down the runway but though, and what about that lad with the name Heathcliffe!!

Christmas Special is tonight, they go on a Christmas trip with cars they bought for each other, I do know that Fred uses the Range Rover he was supposed to use in Iceland.

Tonight BBC One at 8.30pm.

Rather enjoyed the first episodes of series 32, you could tell all three were having fun especially at the end. Pretty good way to start it off.

Rather enjoyed the first episodes of series 32, you could tell all three were having fun especially at the end. Pretty good way to start it off.
I'm not really a fan of New Top Gear anymore (I much preferred the Matt LeBlanc years), but that race was a lot of fun - reminded me of watching Cars when I was a kid.

So the BBC iPlayer gives those availability notifications, saying how long an episode will stay on the service for. Series 6 and earlier of Top Gear say they'll be gone from Tuesday, while everything afterwards says 'over a year' (which effectively means indefinitely). Hopefully they don't actually remove the episodes, or if they do hopefully they won't be gone long. It's annoying that the earlier series received lacklustre DVD releases, otherwise this would just be an inconvenience.

Last edited:
In the UK every series of 'New' Top Gear (when it was Clarkson and Hammond and May joined after a bit) all the way until the current series is on iPlayer.

I started from series three last October and last night I finally got to the last episode of the Clarkson/Hammond/May era, it was when they showed the classic cars and cheap SUV films after Clarkson did a madness and punched a producer.

I might start watching the Grand Tour from the start, as well as continuing from Chris Evans/Matt Le Blanc era onwards.

Back