Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
Well nothing would happen I presume....no disciplinary action for Jezza, and the Mirror were doing to sell papers like you said, which they are entitled to do...

May backed up his co-presenter earlier by saying he is a monumental bell-end but not a racist and he wouldn't work with him if he was...
Not just May, Hammond also chipped in saying he could list a million things wrong with Clarkson but being a racist ain't one.

Part of the big issue here is that they're:

A. Dragging up something that was filmed before February of last year and wasn't even used, just to sell some papers.

B. Relying on people's hearing. I'm no psychologist, but its been documented that if someone tells you to listen out for something, chances are your mind subconsciously hears it (even if it is nowhere near or at least very vague) because thats what you want to hear. Tie that in with people who don't like Clarkson, and of course people are gonna say he said it.

Of course, that argument works in reverse; TG fans who don't want to believe it will just shrug and say it doesn't sound like it at all. As for me? It just sounds like random mumbling in my opinion. Sure, it could have been him slurring the speech to sound indistinguishable, but given what Clarkson said in his statement video, that was the idea - to just make it unintelligble and thus, cause no offence. And to be fair, unlike most of the half hearted apologies the TG crew have to give to people, this one does seem like he takes it seriously and wants it addressed.

I don't believe he meant it...however, you have to wonder why TG would go out there way to use that particular rhyme anyway.

Its argued the original rhyme had the n-word in it, as it was a commonly used term at the time it was written. These days, it frequently gets substituted for either 'tiger' or 'nipper' (which is very similar in sound, which I suppose supports the idea of it sounding the same when its being mumbled).

You know I'm almost tempted to get the 'Broken Mirror' a DeLorean seeing as they are so keen on bringing up the past all the time. :rolleyes:

Stirring up needless trouble for someone the Mirror doesn't really like just to get papers sold just strikes of tragic pettiness.

Piers Morgan is predictably loving it and having a field day...
He is the most pathetic excuse of a human being imaginable.

Naturally enough, every response to his tweet brings up phone hacking or faked photographs.

About this 'not aired / shown' thing... just because it didn't air doesn't make it not exsist. If it exists in recorded form it can be liable and even criminal (if it turns out true).

Look at all the times police have raided houses, seized computers, wire tapped etc. All this stuff was never meant to been seen or heard by anyone yet it has then been used in courts to convict criminals as it is hard evidence which shows character and or intent.

Bottom line, if it’s recorded its bad.

The difference here is that Clarkson mumbled an indistinguishable phrase, yet (for once) actually feared that it could be misconstrued anyway, and ordered the tapes to simply be scrapped to prevent them from being leaked. Obviously, this ultimately failed.

I'm not coming to any conclusion until I hear the original recording. I know the Daily Mirror are a bunch of tossers and Clarkson has been made to apologise for things in the past, but it's never been on anything of this scale before.

PicNews140502.jpg

I'm not coming to any conclusion until I hear the original recording. I know the Daily Mirror are a bunch of tossers and Clarkson has been made to apologise for things in the past, but it's never been on anything of this scale before.

You can hear it, the mirror posted the original recording in their article.

Just had a listen. It's very very vague but it does sound like it he's saying it.
What it sounded like in the first two takes to me was:

"Eeny meeny minie mo, cadgadggebrdrdtr, when he screams let him go, eeny meeny minie MO"

We always used to say "Tigger". And I grew up just over the border from Clarkson.

Jesus, how desperate can you get for controversy? I will be the first to tell you that Clarkson is often a gigantic arse, but that sounded like "Eeny meeny miney moh, brglskrbrgrdish", every single time.

I don't think for one minute that he is a racist but I still think they mumbled the word rather than saying jibberish.

They must have paid big money for that video or someone at the BBC really hates clarkson.

Clarkson says the BBC have given him a final warning, saying that if he says anything offensive ever again at any time he'll be sacked. Which he points out is inevitable, because anyone can take offence at anything for any reason.

Meanwhile, Harriet Harman "MP" has called for his sacking, saying on Twitter that "Anybody who uses the N-word in public or private in whatever context has no place in the British Broadcasting Corporation.".

Funnily, when she was actually relevant to policy-making, she didn't call for Jonathan Ross to be sacked (and Chris Rock to be barred from the BBC) after this "N-word" laden exchange:

(language warning obviously)

Interesting that that clip was posted by the BBC themselves...

This episode does have all the hallmarks of a media witchhunt - arguably it is not a coincidence that this footage has come to light now i.e. in the wake of the very ill-advised 'slope' joke, but this strikes me as completely different. The fact is that for people of a certain generation, the words to 'eeny meeny' include the n-word. Obviously, that version of the rhyme is seen in a different light nowadays, and hence for those of us who grew up with the n-word version, it requires a conscious effort to either replace the word or to omit it - but occasionally it may be mumbled for comic effect. Either way, I doubt this furore would be happening if it wasn't for the Burma episode controversy.

Other things to never appear on Harman's BBC:

Any Quentin Tarantino film (see Django Unchained).
Any Leonardo di Caprio film (see Django Unchained).
Anything adapted from a work written by Agatha Christie (see Ten Little Indians).
Or Mark Twain (see Huckleberry Finn)
Any song by NWA (see NWA)
Most rap artists.
To Kill A Mockingbird

It pains me to say it but, Clarkson is now on borrowed time with the BBC and I fear someone will intentionally look for something to complain about just to put the final nail in the coffin.

I do question about what will happen afterwards because Top Gear is one of if not the biggest money bringers for the BBC.

when she was actually relevant to policy-making, she didn't call for Jonathan Ross to be sacked (and Chris Rock to be barred from the BBC) after this "N-word" laden exchange:

There seems to be a disparity on when this word can be used in the media. It seems if its a black person saying it its ok, if a black person is saying it to another black person its ok, if its in a film its ok and if its a white person saying it to a black person as social commentary on how regularly the phrase is used its ok.

It should NEVER be OK!!!

As for Clarkson not being able to be controversial (practically the entire essence of his character... like Simon Cowell for example) we will either get a very different Clarkson or a very fired Clarkson. I really don't see why its so hard to do comedy without offending peoples race or country.

Last edited:
I had no idea any of this was going on. But then again, it doesn't surprise me, as I am across the pond. Top Gear news over here is non-exist. I don't even know anything about the Burma controversy. What ever that may be. Even though I am curious.

I had no idea any of this was going on. But then again, it doesn't surprise me, as I am across the pond. Top Gear news over here is non-exist. I don't even know anything about the Burma controversy. What ever that may be. Even though I am curious.
He said "slope" to describe a bridge, which is a term for people of Asian descent.

Back